How is your idle set?

GoldenMotor.com

Dougan

Apr 5, 2010
wisconsin
I've been monkeying around w/ my MB and it seems there are really two ways to do it. The first is to unscrew the idle screw to the point that the engine dies when you close up the throttle and lift the clutch. The second is to actually set the idle so when you lift the clutch, it, well, idles.

For me, I've found I actually like it the first way. Where I live, you can ride the motorized bike on the sidewalk if the motor is killed (not sure if that's common or not). So I can just kill the engine and hop on the sidewalk if necessary. Then drop the clutch once you're back on the road and go. I've read here that the killswitch is not good for the CDI so, assuming you don't use the killswitch, this sort of on-and-off driving wouldn't be possible unless you had the idle screw set so the engine would die without the throttle.

Does anybody else here operate it this way?

Also, does anybody here start their bike the way a manual car would, letting off the clutch while putting on the gas? Or does everybody pedal to start (whether dead or idling) and then drop the clutch? Just curious. I tried starting from a dead stop and was able to do it, but it felt like it wasn't the best on the clutch.

The most "natural" way of drivign for me involves a lot of killing and starting the motor while moving... you guys think this is bad for the motor?

Kevlarr

Jul 22, 2009
Mi
If I tried to pedal start from a dead stop I think I'd snap the pedals off the crank. laff

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
The myth that the kill switch will damage the CDI is just that; a myth. Those that have had problems will sometimes blame them on the kill switch but the evidence is that wiring it correctly will have no ill effects on the ignition components.
Set your idle speed just high enough that the engine doesn't die when the clutch is disengaged and enjoy the ride using the kill switch as it was designed to be used.
By the way; I do the same as you and shut off my engine and pedal with the clutch disengaged when encountering people on walks and bike paths then pop the clutch and go when the coast is clear.
Tom

dag_29307

Jul 1, 2009
Enoree, Sc.
I have mine set up so when I pull the clutch it will cut out. I can start the motor just by "scooter" kicking my bike a couple of feet. I only have to pedal when my engine is cold.

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
i run aftermarket throttles with no kill switches, but i mount switches in different places, and use them everytime i want to kill the engine, and have never had any problems.

i have my idle set so it idles, one bike idles a little high, but it's because i have a backwards engine configuration, and the intake port points downward, and after idling awhile, it'll stall out because there's not enough gas traveling upwards.

overall, i have to start and stop so much riding through southern california traffic that i need it to idle, i hate having to start it back up alla time.

as for starting it, i pull the clutch, pedal, then dump it. i looked at my clutch after 6 months of heavy riding, and it looks great, so i ain't too worried about it...

Kevlarr

Jul 22, 2009
Mi
as for starting it, i pull the clutch, pedal, then dump it. i looked at my clutch after 6 months of heavy riding, and it looks great, so i ain't too worried about it...
Exactly how every clutch on anything with a clutch should be operated. Dad once got 150k on the original clutch in a car before he sold it and it still had plenty of wear left.