What does this spark plug tell you?

GoldenMotor.com

tudorvintiloiu

Apr 19, 2010
Romania
Sorry I have to do this, but I just don't know how to "read" the way a spark plug looks.
So waht do you think? Do I need to adjust anything?

Thanks,

Tudor

tudorvintiloiu

Apr 19, 2010
Romania
Thanks for the tip. My needle clip is set second from the top. I could raise it to the first position, but i'm still during my break-in period. Should I do it now, or should I wait a while?

city of angels

May 24, 2009
tucson az
i will wait since you are on your breaking period what oil are u using like mine i am running 50:1 for my breaking and now i am running 100:1 i am using amsoil oil i was having the same problem but once i switch everything is fine now hopefully this helps

tudorvintiloiu

Apr 19, 2010
Romania
I'm running 20:1 non-synthetic regular cheap oil. I will switch to synthetic oil and a much leaner oil-fuel ratio after a few gas-tanks.
I've heard this is best for a new engine.

motorking

May 13, 2010
detroit
Sorry I have to do this, but I just don't know how to "read" the way a spark plug looks.
So waht do you think? Do I need to adjust anything?

Thanks,

Tudor

Hi,
I am the tech manager at Autolite spark plugs. Your plug actually looks very good for now. I would completely break it in. Then do a WOT run, chop the throttle closed and shut it off. Then you can really "read" the plug.

Fabian

Sep 9, 2009
Australia - Melbourne
tudorvintiloiu

You haven't provided enough information about the running conditions of the engine and the type of fuel used and the oil/fuel ratio.

Was that plug pulled from the engine after light throttle use, or after idling for some time, or coasting downhill or wide open throttle?

Mixture analysis cannot be determined unless all these factors are known.

Fabian

tudorvintiloiu

Apr 19, 2010
Romania
20:1 oil-fuel because i'm breaking it in. The plug was pulled after a normal (flat) 6 mile run and after the engine cooled off.

Thanks,

T

Fabian

Sep 9, 2009
Australia - Melbourne
what percentage of throttle were you using for your 6 mile run?
What fuel were you using?
What was the air temperature at the time?
What was the level of humidity at the time?
What was your altitude at the time of the run?

tudorvintiloiu

Apr 19, 2010
Romania
Oh, come on! I may not know that much about these engines, but I know it's not rocket science. ALL this might be relevant for competition motorcycles, but i just wanted to know if the way my plug looks means i'm too rich either on oil or fuel.

Thanks anyway,

T.

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
Oh, come on! I may not know that much about these engines, but I know it's not rocket science. ALL this might be relevant for competition motorcycles, but i just wanted to know if the way my plug looks means i'm too rich either on oil or fuel.

Thanks anyway,

T.
yeppers ;)

Hi,
I am the tech manager at Autolite spark plugs. Your plug actually looks very good for now. I would completely break it in. Then do a WOT run, chop the throttle closed and shut it off. Then you can really "read" the plug.
I agree completely (^)

good vibrations

Mar 30, 2010
denva, calarada
Really guys, he was probly lookin' for a yes or no. Look great right now. Run another tank or two that way and you should be good to go. But even after, DON'T SKIMP ON THE OIL. Lifeblood man, LIFEBLOOD=)