Flip This Bike

GoldenMotor.com

jay sawdust

Aug 11, 2009
kauai,hawaii
Well im about to build a bike with the intention of selling it.Partly to get more bikes out in the community and partly to make a few bucks to support my new hobby.Ive built 2 bikes so far,sold one.....so of course im an expert (joke)....but i do thoughly enjoy building these bikes and i think have some aptitude towords it (I raced VWs bout a hundred years ago).
Im going to start with a brand new bike and motor and keep close track of expencies so ill know how much to ask for.
Im also going to post these expences so you guys can see how it works out.
flip this bike start pictures by jaysawdust - Photobucket <----FULL SIZED IMMAGE

EXPENCES

from Walmart
Schwinn Point Beach cruiser 26" 7sp. .........................................................$201
Delux panier bags (says Schwinn on them).................................................... $29
Kauai County bicycle/moped permanant license.............................................. $15
from PistonBike
Grubee black skyhawk 80/66cc motor...........................................................$150
12v 6amp generator light set........................................................................$35
shipping....................................................................................................$57

SUB TOTAL .............................................................................................$487

Ill update this thread as i progress....ALOHA .....JAY

Attachments

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Jay,
The only problem I see is your liability. Building motorozed bicycles to sell will leave you open to lawsuits in the event one of your buyers gets hurt on it. Check with an attorney before building bikes to sell. The vulture lawyers are just waiting for a case like that, so use caution and get strong legal advice before selling to the public. This goes for anyone interested in building to sell.
Tom

jay sawdust

Aug 11, 2009
kauai,hawaii
My prices here are high...walmart is more expencive....shipping is more expencive(price we pay to live here)and im not trying to make a killing...so we will see how much profit is to be made...
2D makes a good point and i will talk to a lawer friend to see what can be done about the leagle aspects....like a waiver to be signed....thanks great input.....Love this forum.....J

DOC BOLM

Aug 21, 2008
Mississippi
Tom does make a good point.Does your state require a vin# if so you will be required to have a licence to manufacture a motor bike.Try adding 15% to your parts and let the buyer help in the building of the mb.I think you will avoid having to get a state and fed. tax number.At your cost of 480.00 you make 72.00 plus lets say 75.00 labor=$147.00 per bike. Not bad for a days work.H.D.

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
This "bike game" has become heavily saturated with "low ball" bike builders lately...
It really pisses me off how cheap some guys are selling them for!... ($300????) But, you get what you pay for!!

I keep my prices up, but again, "you get what you pay for"... I make sure that my bikes are built- clean looking, solid, safe & trouble free... I can't tell you how many people bring me bikes built by others just for me to "make it right"...

Don't be one of those guys who just "slap a kit" on a cheap bike for a quick buck!!! (because it's messing up the rep of motorized bikes!)

stv1jzgte

Feb 11, 2009
australia
got 2 mates that want me to fit kits to there mountain bikes, i said if you cannot fit it yourself these things arnt going to work out for you and im not fixing it everytime it stuffs up.
No offence but in a country where everyone sue's eachother you'd be crazy to attempt this without cover for yourself.

noco

Sep 9, 2009
fort collins colorado
ive made everyone ive built a bike for buy there own bike with my approval of course...i have always odered the kit myself with only one exception, that one i pieced ordered everything...ive made well over 2 hundred per bike but mine look and function good...ive brought every bike through there first tank of gas before handing my heart over to someone who probly doesn't appeciate as much as me...that liability thing has always been in the back of my mind...its haunting...i wish all those bikes were mine except for one ugly one which i dont want to claim as my own(damn lack of style in some people)...be carefull who buys your bike...build them to order not just one for sale, that might help you

Last edited:

leftywoody

Aug 23, 2008
Lagrange Indiana
Yep , I'm guilty as charged. I helped my son build a Beach Cruiser with motor , He rode it for a few miles and then his neighbor wanted one . My son ordered a new motor kit and built himself a Southpoint with a springer fork. He was going to sell the beach cruiser to the neighbor but the guy backed out do to a car accident . Now my son has a Beach Cruiser for sale on this site for 300.00 bucks and that is just to rid himself of the extra bike and to pay me back some money he owes me . We are selling cheap to sell period, not to drive prices down or run somebody out of business . We built this bike and the
Southpoint and my own bike all with the advise and suggestions of people that are on this forum including the pro builders . We are not in competition with you by no means . You are our friends .

Last edited:

jay sawdust

Aug 11, 2009
kauai,hawaii
Well as i sit and wait for my motor (error in shipping from piston bike) i have time to respond to the excelent feedback from my fellow forum members.I started this thread becouse im sure im not the first person to try to think of a way to keep building bikes out of a passion for this hobby. its made me reflect on my motivation and im convinced that im doing the right thing.The question of liability is huge....a deal breaker even....but im told that if the recipt says"used as-is condition" perhaps even for off road use only i should be fine.
I'm glad Venice said " dont slap one togeather" becouse thats the last thing i would do....im trying to promote the use of these bikes on this island...they need to be safe,reliable and accepted by the drivers on the road (I've seen them a bit starteled by a bicycle going 25+ mph) they are for the most part extremely courtious even supportive....lots of thumbs-up. We need an alternitive to mopeds that cost upwards of $2'500 bucks
I plan to build a 66cc bike (law says under 30mph is a moped nothing about displacement) with running lights front and rear and a brake light....perhaps turn signals in the future....the best motor i can buy....run them for a tank or 2 to get them dialed in and as per excelent advice....be carful who I sell to
Im starting with a brand new bike so i can be sure all the components are fresh....and if i can manage not to fall in love with the bike....i hope to start a trend here ,where transpotation is getting more difficult in these economic times...again ill keep you all posted......J

jay sawdust

Aug 11, 2009
kauai,hawaii
Well ive been busy of late....the motor took 9 days to arrive from one of our sponsors....but with the obligatory hick-ups....that comes from these unsharpened hunting knives we affectionately call china girl.....the motors running well....very well in fact....in no small part to the things ive learned in this forum...before i even thought of firing it up i upgraded the spark plug...filed the exaust flat..changed the gaskets between both the exaust and intake...added a rubber gasket between the carb and intake manifold....cleaned the mag area and evened the gaps....took off the clutch actuator and deburred and lubed everthing...also lubed the gears at the clutch housing.... and numourous other things i learned here on the forum
back to the hickups....its a grubee motor wich im convinced is one of the best ways to go....nevertheles as it came it had a bad (cracked) float in the carb....and the head studs werent seated leaveing them long and with the cap type head bolts (that come on grubees) didnt torque correctly ...making the head leak immediatly
these things i call hick-ups becouse with what ive learned here i can diagnose immediatly....except and actualy get more pleasure from....becouse if it was all plug and play....that anyone could do... it wouldent be as much fun.
Well besides installing the motor Ive installed a scooter brake lever/switch and a 12v brakelight....a generator headlight...12v....and yes even the expencive ones burn up at 25 mph....so now i have a nice 12v bullet headlight and a nice 12v automotive turn/brake tail light that im going to battery power....this makes it difficult to keep everyone posted as to the costs....Im gonna eat my mistakes and post just the combanation that works
The post is titled FLIP THIS BIKE but truth is as long as i pay the credit card ,im happy.....ive had the oppertunity to build a realy fun safe reliable bike....each build gets better than the last

full size images flip this bike pictures by jaysawdust - Photobucket

Attachments