Bicycle review

GoldenMotor.com

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
I am always trolling around the net looking for bikes. For the most part it is easy to find reviews of store bought as bikes, but not so much as Motorized bicycles. So I am starting this thread in hopes others will share their knowledge and experience with the many options available to us. Or, ask if some one has the bike you are looking at buying.

Point Beach from walmart
Owned for 1+ years. 1,300 miles. (had 3 engines on her) Revolutions 80cc*, BGF80cc* and now a Honda GX50cc/Grubee. One died, one is now going on a Moon Dog and the other is just to Cool!

Pros

I really like the way it looks. Is that classic sweeping cruiser frame that makes me think; "mmmm" The candy apple metallic red and white paint job is superb. It also has a very comfortable, well cushioned and stylish seat. The rack comes in very handy! I bungy an old wooden Coke case that really accents the look I was going for Over all. 1950s classic American beauty. The things that make it a bad bike is what makes it a good MB. Mostly the perversely long handlebars. (More on this in cons) The gearing is amazingly smooth. I have test-drove a Felt (only one) that did not shift as well. I have nothing bad to say about the point Beach. Except the following.

Cons

As is common knowledge, Those really cool and great looking fenders have bubble gum "L" brackets. I had one fail in less then 6 weeks. With out a doubt the brackets have to be shored up, made stronger or the fenders need to be removed. It is not "if" they well fail, it is "how soon".

The frame as is, leaves the rider sitting close to over the peddles but the very long handle bars sit you up st8, leaving the rider in an awkward position. Not terrible but annoying. Gives one the posture of some one doing the chicken dance. Also the handle bars are just a tad bit not wide enough. 2Door (Thanks again Tom!) is kindly making me a bent seat post and I believe this will solve all of that.(I will update when it arrives)

Brakes are kind of cheesy but think most of the problems I had was due to lack of experience and maintenance.

Other then that, for an economy priced bike, nothing major.

Bottom Line

I love this bike. I would and definitely will buy it again. I would gladly recommend it to friends. (do, and am now) with those 2 alterations. Seat post and shoring up (most especially), the front fender,

(Judged as an economy MB foundation. Not against upper end bicycles)
For looks a ten! (just MO). Price, 9 / Quality 8, / Frame 9, / components 7, / welding 10

Final Rating; 8.8

Attachments

Last edited:
Reactions: Thatoneguy

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
DiamondBack Della Cruz

Purchased at yard sale, brand new still in box $15.00 Retail I believe was around $250-$300.
5-6 years (don't remember) 5,000 + miles. One motor, Kingsmotor bikes 80cc.

Pros

I really, really like the price. It was very simple to install the motor, I think it look's cool and is very comfortable to ride. My first plan was to remove the fenders but I have grown to really love them. It has been very good to me.
Already has pre-drilled holes if you want to add front & rear brakes.There are many different models of the Della Cruz even one with springer front end.

Neg

I only got 4,000 miles before I had problems with broken spokes. It's a single speed and makes pedaling difficult sometimes but there is the same model with gears. Must re-enforce the fender brackets and if you do not want to drill through the frame you will need to mod a mount. (mines drilled and no problems). Very snug fit between the seat tube and carb air cover. Had to turn mine upside down to fit. Only has rear coaster brake but I rode it that way for years and thousands of miles.

Attachments

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
was wondering Fair. Was thinking it just got buried on a busy day. Really looking forward to seeing some more. Shopping for bikes online ain't cutting it.

hiker472

Nov 6, 2008
Ontonagon County,Upper Michigan
That Diamond back..............is that a greenline bike? It looks a lot like one I'm currently looking at.
You mentioned problems with the spokes? If that is the greenline, it would have stainless spokes, but an alloy rim. Not too up on that combo.

grouchyolfart

May 31, 2008
Wahiawa, Hawai'i
I'd love to add a review, but I have the same bike Dan has and the others are girlie bikes for my ebike projects. Nothing really much to add there. I'm just an old fart who's getting tired of stepping over the bike to mount it and don't care if it's a "girls'" bike. I like them step throughs. rotfl

It's a good think that PB is a low bike as is. Don't have to get that leg up very high to get on.

The only difference I have with Dan's assessment is the price. I give mine a 10 since I only paid $20 for it. :D

lordoflightaz

Jan 23, 2009
Phoenix, AZ
Schwinn Skyliner

I bought it at Walmart over 3 years for about $170. I also bought a Schwinn rear rack, Bell water bottle holder at that time. When I bought it I rode it just about everyday. As a bicycle is was a nice comfortable ride. This is NOT the bike you would get today. Picture of bike

Pros: It has a reasonable front suspension; nice wide road tires. The seat is comfortable for someone with no a$$. It came with SRam grip shifts that are comfortable. The handlebar was ok for a bicycle. The brakes are adequate. I think in first gear you could climb a wall The chain tensioner bolted on with no issues The engine fit in the space available with room to spare. I moved the water bottle to the side of the head tube and think I should mount one on the right side as well just for symetry.

Cons: It does not have disc brakes or a place to screw in a disc brake. The front tube is thick and required a LFM mounting bracket, that is bolted on. The handlebars are too short for sitting up straight. The seat does not have hoops to hang a saddlebag. It has shimano style bottom bracket so you need a tool to remove it. The kickstand did not do a good job of supporting the bike with motor installed.

Overall: When I think about a bike with a motor I compare it to my Skyliner. Sure the Skyliner could have a prettier frame with extra tubes, a chain guard and it could have come with fenders and disc brakes, but overall it is an easy bike to add on a motor.

I could review my Walmart Roadmaster $75, but when I get right down to it it was pretty much useless, except for parts. Motor would be a tight fit, rims are cheaply made, seat is too narrow. I will say if you have another frame and needed tires (rims are carp), cables, brakes, pedals and a front shock the bike is a good deal.

Weedylot

Angry Old Fart
Jun 12, 2008
Tucson Arizona
I don't have a bike that wasn't motorized except for two large Schwinn Varsity models, The Whizzer is built on a Global frame from China. It is a copy of (I believe) a Schwinn Heavy Duty. It is stout, heavy and black. I would recommend it as an excellent starting platform for just about any motor that might be installed.
Pros: Black, stout and heavy
Cons: It is set up with the seat up forward, almost touching the tank and the handlebars are too wide for that arrangement. The fenders stays are flimsy and haven't yet fallen off, but will. The coaster brake is great for pedal speeds, but woefully inadequate for motored use. Lastly, it was made in communist china and can't be fully counted on for quality.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Okay, guess its time I chimed in with a review of the popular Schwinn Jaguar now that I've ridden it as a pedal bike and motorized.

Pros: Well built bike, even from China. All the welds look good, nice paint and just downright attractive. (My wife didn't want me to "Ruin it" was her words, by putting a motor on it. But that's the reason I bought it, right? Got mine at Target. Regular price was $149. on sale for $124. but because I pointed out to the manager a few scratches, I got mine for $99.00. Not a bad deal. I brought the bike home and rode it around my neighborhood for a couple of days and was pleased with the way it rode and handled. The big 2.125 tires are soft and gave the Jag a nice smooth feel. It took bumps well and I really like the grip shifter with 7 speeds. I had to adjust the rear derailer a bit to index the shifter but no biggie. I was very impressed with the brakes. They're side pull and have those extra long pads, about 3" long and they seem to grab the alloy wheels with little effort. Originally I had planned to go with disc brakes on the front but after riding the Jag with and without an engine I see no reason for that expensive upgrade. All in all, a very nice bicycle for the price. I enjoyed it as a pedal bike for as long as I could stand it then went to work installing the Dax-80cc and a few of my own custom refinements. As the build progressed I discovered a few things that will fall into the 'Cons' catagory which I'll cover now.

Cons: Even though the metallic blue paint is pretty, I found it very susceptable to scratching. You have to be careful because any metal contact with the paint will leave a mark. I found some paint to match, Dupli-Color automotive touch-up and took care of the blemishes after the build was complete.
If you're a big guy or gal the Jag is going to feel a little cramped. It's designed something like a sportscar and not intended to offer a lot of leg room. I'm 5'11" and in the stock configuration I felt like I needed to slide to the rear but there's nowhere to go. The Jag doesn't come with a rack or fenders.(Thanks to Dan, I now have fenders;even if I did chop the heck out of them. Thanks Dan) I solved that problem with a lay-back seat post that moved the saddle rearward a full 6 inches. That helped a lot. I was much more comfortable with the seat slid back. I flipped the handlebars over, going for a boardtrack look and surprisingly that made the ride even more comfortable. When I'm riding I feel like I'm reclining forward and the bars are just wide enough to offer support without feeling like you're trying to do arm stretches. I installed a center stand that just happened to fit exactly where the original kickstand was attached. What I discovered is that the welded kickstand bracket is a little flimsy. It twisted somewhat and allowed the center stand to tilt forward. I reinforced the factory bracket with a short section of 1/4" flat stock welded between the chain stays behind the crank. I have experienced no other weak areas in the frame.
The Jag is still too new to give you a full report on the motorized version but after about 25 miles I can honestly say it is a very comfortable, smooth and well mannered motorbike. I keep the tire inflation on the low side (factory inflation is 40, I use 30psi) with the softer tires the only reason I would consider installing a springer would be for the looks. The ride is soft.
The Jaguar will challenge the beginner because of the cruiser style frame and the necessity of a custom front engine mount but for anyone who has some fabrication experience, or the bucks to buy a ready-made engine mount kit, the Jag would make a great addition to any motorbikers stable.
Tom

Attachments

Last edited:

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Great review Tom. I had been considering a Jag sence seeing your build. Thanks!

Last edited:

Hill of Beans

Dec 22, 2008
Georgetown, SC
SCHWINN SKYLINER:

Apparently there are different models of this bike. Mine says 'Comfort Geometry' on the semi triangular crotch tube. Bought two on sale at Wallyworld for $139.00 each.
Beware the differences!

PROS:
A handsome bike in gold and cream, and in a silvery blue. 21 speed wallclimber as mentioned. Brought a Skyhawk GT4 from USABikeMotors to the store to check on fit. The flattened egg shaped down tube fit surprisingly well, as did the near fit on the seat tube despite a bit more angle than I like. Wish I had left the carb on to assure a complete fit. The extra mount and long studs from USA snugged it up well, with cut up inner tube glued to mounts. Smooth shifting, good brakes, steel frame, great price, and a front suspension sealed the deal.

CONS:
Not enough room for a standard carb mount. Took Ghost's advice and added a copper 'L' fitting to accomodate a side mount. Except for a bit rocky in the bottom end, a sweet running machine that wants the higher RPMs. Gas tank was a pain, but attached well with painted and inner tube lined pipe hangers from the hardware store. Also had to use a large hose clamp for the ignition on the down tube to hold it still. Handlebars are a bit crowded, but the style suits the riding posture I like. Still enough space for an electronic speedo and smaller LED lamp. The seat works for my snake hips, but larger riders might want a comfort saddle. Should also fit taller riders well.
Have since added a rack, saddlebags, and a round seat bag for tools.
Turns heads wherever I go. Might have to build the other, as I sold it today.

Jaguars will be my next builds for waiting customers, and hoping Manic Mechanic will have mounts ready soon. SBP has told me they are also developing a larger size to add to their mount menu. Look forward to seeing these very helpful products on their websites yesterday.

Also hoping to see a review for the Greenlines at BikeBuyersCompany. Good prices including shipping.
As usual, motor mounts are my largest concern.

I hope this very useful thread will continue to attract reviewers.

Tom Hill
'DUBS'

HELP!! Tried to include photos, but it says the size is wrong and I must adjust it manually.
Don't know how! Damn!

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Green Kulana Walmart

Pros, cheap at $114. Big 'ol fat white walls. great every thing for an economy bike. Heavy steel frame and angles fit a china girl nice and same engine on a point beach vibrates a lot more. Fenders are made and mounted well.

cons Only real bummer about this bike is it is tiny! Not worth putting a motor on it if you are taller the 4foot8 or do not want to put a bent seat post. Added the 2Door, soon to be patented solid bent seat post. (I like to call it the "way back Machine" Sherman) The derailer is cheap but so is the bike.

Edit; After installing a bent seat post, bike is near perfect

I would highly recommend it. Can't beat the price for such a sturdy lil bike and mounts a china girl really well (after erasing 3 jokes, I digress)((one of 'em was good too))

Attachments

Last edited:

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Dan,
I almost want one just for those swoopy/curvy cantilever bars. They seem to be begging for a custom built tank. Not wild about the color but that's what rattle cans and powder coat is for. I think it would look great in a two tone, dark green and beige paint scheme. Might have to beg Char for one, but I'm running out of garage space.
Tom

Last edited:

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Dan,
I almost want one just for those swoopy/curvy cantilever bars. They seem to be begging for a custom built tank. Not wild about the color but that's what rattle cans and powder coat is for. I think it would look great in a two tone, dark green and beige paint scheme. Might have to beg Char for one, but I'm running out of garage space.
Tom
That's a cool thought about the tank. Gonna have to thunk on that.

I agree, color sux. Carol calls that one the "electric avocado"

I forgot to mention the handle bars got pitted with rust after one winter in a shed. No light in there and I didn't notice in time.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Ya know Tom, looking at the pics again would look awesome with a inframe tank. Gonna measure and see if I can fit a Honda in there.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Ya know Tom, looking at the pics again would look awesome with a inframe tank. Gonna measure and see if I can fit a Honda in there.
Dan,
I had initially thought of trying it with the Jag but I didn't want to break off those nifty little cable holders welded under the cross bar and I got in a hurry to ride the danged thing. I can weld sheetmetal and fabricating a tank wouldn't be too hard. That Moon Dog would be perfect for a swoopy/curvy tank to match the contours of the frame. A chunk of wood, a body hammer and a couple of dollys and some sheetmetal, a few hours of labor and...oh my...I want a Dog.
Tom

Hill of Beans

Dec 22, 2008
Georgetown, SC
Dan;
Are you saying the 'Moondog' is back at Wallyworld, or is your bike an older one?
Thought they had discontinued that popular model.
I bought one at a yard sale with the nubbies still on the tires.
Been thinking the same thing about an in-frame tank.
Care to make two?

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Dang HOB, just saw on link "not available" Yes, mine is about 2 years old. Sure about the tank. Gonna take me a while though. Have to learn how to weld, snork. Was thinking simple, flat sided. I am sure I will have to make a bunch of scrap before getting one right but thats half the fun.

That's a shame about the Moondogs. With the bent seat post, really is a great MB.