Home built full suspension custom frame pics!

GoldenMotor.com

StevenMain

Jul 18, 2016
Texas
The donor bike and a sketch of how ill cut it up and re weld it.... an old used Next suspension bike.. they typically sold well under $100, this one was free.

Wheelbase and ride height look funky.. before the rake, and swing arm mods

after a rake, and swingarm is cut up and modified for the new rear shock position.

in front of my beach cruiser to check how the motor will mount

Stay tuned, next I will add the downtube and motor plate and gussets. Then, tear it all down, and shoot it before final assembly.. Total money invested so far.. $0, and about 4 hours or work.. not bad. I'm pleased :)

Last edited:

cannonball2

Oct 28, 2010
Colonial Coast USA.
That thing begs for a Honda Cub clone engine. If you have 17+" clearance from the frame to the tire.

Curt is right rake and trail is important. Rides like crap if wrong. Ask me how I know.

StevenMain

Jul 18, 2016
Texas
I actually have an uniquely different genious plan for the 66cc "doll" motor. This bike is serving as a test mule to see what I can get away with to be drastically different. I guarentee you all haven't see nothing yet so stay tuned !

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
I actually have an uniquely different genious plan for the 66cc "doll" motor. This bike is serving as a test mule to see what I can get away with to be drastically different. I guarentee you all haven't see nothing yet so stay tuned !
Cool, I like soft tail builds.

Comfort is important, good luck with your custom frame!

Save

StevenMain

Jul 18, 2016
Texas
Thanks I actually changed my mind on the seat position and cut and angled the rear tube much further down. Now I have the exact same dimensions as my beach cruiser with a low setback seat.

StevenMain

Jul 18, 2016
Texas
A reed valve china doll. I've stuff the case, tried every porting configuration imaginable, run a YZ85 modified expansion chamber and it runs 39 mph on a 44 tooth on the flat. With a shift kit over 50 should be cake I'd imagine. How I do the shift kit is the genius part... stay tuned lol

StevenMain

Jul 18, 2016
Texas

I changed the seat post angle to allow for a lower seat.

If this bike BELOW doesn't sell in a few days for $475 I will use its built engine as a donor.

I will be mounting the engine.... upside down and backward, to the frame with welded motor mounts. I will have to run the engine in reverse to power the bike but it allows me to run a shift kit without a power robbing jackshaft and 3 chain setup. if I mount the engine to welded motor plates, upside down and backward it will also serve as the frame's downtube just like on a sportbike. If it works on the prototype Im going to transfer it to this bike

which ill buy specifically for this purpose.

Last edited:

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
... I will be mounting the engine.... upside down and backward, to the frame with welded motor mounts.
I will have to run the engine in reverse to power the bike but it allows me to run a shift kit without a power robbing jackshaft and 3 chain setup.
Wow, that is some plan you have there Steve...
Re-Engineer everything so you don't have to suffer the devastating loss from one extra short chain!

A bicycle has 1 chain, a direct drive kit has 2, a shifter has 3.
When you have gears losses mean nothing bud ;-}

Save

StevenMain

Jul 18, 2016
Texas
You're sort of missing the point. It's really easy to make the engine run backward... litterally one mod. I can avoid the extra chain and complication and maintenance. Also I won't need a down tube because the engine will serve as the frames downtube. I won't need an expensive shift kit either, just the freewheel and sprockets and crank arms.

Less cost, less complexity, and thinking outside the box to utilize new frame styles and such.

StevenMain

Jul 18, 2016
Texas
Update, frame mocked up after sandblasting and smoothing the joints out with Epoxy for that seamless one piece frame look. Gave me an idea.. Going to paint the frame Digital Urban MultiCam

ultralight01

Oct 30, 2016
Hood River, Oregon
Sweet. It needs a better front shock in my opinion. If you lengthened the top tube things would be much easier to fit and it would ride and look better. That or a long swinngarm and a long/tall shock

StevenMain

Jul 18, 2016
Texas

Ok, I got the motor mount plates welded on, then I cut my chamber head pipe and made it fit the new bike, added 1" to lower the power band some too since it takes a very high RPM to hit the YZ85 pipe. I have to route the exhaust after the chamber still, and make an intake that will hold the carb level to the reed block.. Then make the engine run backward and link it to the freewheel. :)

Fuel tank isn't decided on yet it's just sitting there.