Gasoline resistant paint?

GoldenMotor.com

Black_Moons

Oct 25, 2010
Canada, Bc
Anyone know of a gasoline resistant paint for use on bike frames? That can be applyed at home without an oven, And without dying from 2 part epoxy fumes?

Rockenstein

Feb 8, 2009
Ontario, Canada
The Tremclad\RustOleum brand spray bombs are fuel proof provided you give it a few days of indoor warmth to cure...the longer you let it cure the more durable it is.

Black_Moons

Oct 25, 2010
Canada, Bc
Really? I allready bought some tremclad 'Professional' primer/semigloss black to paint it with. but was told that basicly all spray cans have next to 0 fuel resistance.
As for clear coat.. Clear coat of *what*, theres dozens of types of clear coatings.. Only one Iv seen that advertises fuel resistance, Wanted a 300f bake for 2 hours, and my oven is not big enough, Nore do I want to put painted objects into my oven.

The two part clear coats seem.. very hard to get around here, and im told are typicaly insanely toxic to the point where you want a full posative pressure respirator and body suit.

Rockenstein

Feb 8, 2009
Ontario, Canada
Really? I allready bought some tremclad 'Professional' primer/semigloss black to paint it with. but was told that basicly all spray cans have next to 0 fuel resistance.
As for clear coat.. Clear coat of *what*, theres dozens of types of clear coatings.. Only one Iv seen that advertises fuel resistance, Wanted a 300f bake for 2 hours, and my oven is not big enough, Nore do I want to put painted objects into my oven.

The two part clear coats seem.. very hard to get around here, and im told are typicaly insanely toxic to the point where you want a full posative pressure respirator and body suit.
Yes some spray bombs I've used, krylon comes to mind, are not fuel proof even after a winter of curing in my warm garage. Tremclad\RustOleum is tho after it cures and my current bike is painted with it. Slopped fuel on it many times and it wipes off without so much as even a stain leftover. Base\clear type automotive touch up paints are fuel proof too, painted a few motorcycle tanks over the years with the base\clear spray bombs they sell at my local Canadian Tire with great success.

wayne z

Dec 5, 2010
louisiana
i've had very good performance with the clear engine enamel from NAPA, on aluminum ultralight gas tanks. No high temp heat required to set.

I have also used it as a clearcoat for motorcycle tanks painted with good quality auto touch up paints.

When mixing brands like this, I find that it helps to wait about 4 weeks for basecoat to cure before topcoating, or paint and clearcoat a test piece first.

Black_Moons

Oct 25, 2010
Canada, Bc
How much does that 'Top Flite Lustrekote' cost per can?
And where can I order it in canada, Since it seems troublesome to ship aerosols/etc across the boarder. (IIRC)

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Top Flite MonoKote | LustreKote.

Most any hobby shop that sells gas powered model airplane supplys can get this stuff.
I've used the colors and the clear over other paints. Gasoline will not touch it and it's compatible with Dupli-Color and other automotive paints. Don't try Dupli-Color clear. It doesn't like gasoline.
Tom

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
looks like canada has the same problem as california. we can't get any good paints off the shelf due to environmental laws. i had to order mine from outta state.

i remember painting stuff with that one can, two part paint, where you smash the bottom and shake it up to mix it together. that was good stuff. i think PPG made it.