Reliable, cheap...possible?

GoldenMotor.com

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
My daughter is looking to electrify her bicycle. She rides 3 miles up hill to work. Not much of a grade, but almost continuous.

Is there anything reliable on ebay?

Looking for plug and play, complete kit. 250.00-ish?

Help, and thanks!

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
The Hill Topper kit with SLA batteries and 10 mile range sells for $400 on Ebay, I think. Sick bike parts also has an electric kit that is priced pretty low.

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
Search for some threads by "Deacon". He was able to piece together some inexpensive electric systems.

16v4nrbrgr

Mar 17, 2012
North Bay
Scooter motors and controllers are low tech but still about 80% efficient and work great, plenty cheap on ebay. I say go with a 36-48V system and 20 miles and 20mph are realistic.

Pablo

Master Bike Builder & Forum Sponsor
Dec 28, 2007
Duvall, WA PNW
www.sickbikeparts.com
My daughter is looking to electrify her bicycle. She rides 3 miles up hill to work. Not much of a grade, but almost continuous.

Is there anything reliable on ebay?

Looking for plug and play, complete kit. 250.00-ish?

Help, and thanks!
You aren't going to find anything decent that includes a worthwhile battery for $250. And remember the $'s are in the battery. Not that you really need it but a 48V 20Ah battery can be over $700.

We have been in slow development mode for 2+ years, by slow I mean part time here and there and completely delayed on purpose as battery technology evolves. We have actually put LiFePo behind us for now and are really studying NMC Li batteries. Smaller and lighter yet. Flipping amazing actually. I have a 36V ~800W system on a bike that goes like a ravaged ape. 48V, ~1200W? Both hands on your bars fast.

Our kits will be shifter kits. IOW - use your gears, we stick with our company core belief - that's what they are there for. Peddle every once and awhile and REALLY save battery power. As we buy and try, and buy more volume and try we are now onto a different manufacturer of controller as well. These projects burn cash even if we go slow. But we have stuff filling shop#1. We need to sell stuff!!

That's where the 24V system comes in. We have decided our niche will not include 24V systems, they work fine - they just don't have the kick the higher voltage systems have, but the batteries are more reasonable. This kit comes with every thing you need, but is a DIY set up. Low gear should pull her along fine.

http://www.sickbikeparts.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=26