how cold before the bike doesn't start?

GoldenMotor.com

Cabinfever1977

Mar 23, 2009
Upstate,NY
metal plates on the side of the carb would direct air from the engine around the carb.
a air box or with hose or pipe that gets heated next to the engine would heat the intake air. and a drop of drygas in the tank would keep the gas from freezing. i bought my engine after winter was over and havnt used my bike in the winter yet,but i will and i belive it will run even at artic temperatures. plus i keep my bike in my apartment,no cold starts here. and the engine stays plenty hot while running,enough i could cook on it like a barbique.

Last edited:

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
One of our members is from Moscow Russia and has posted videos of himself and his club members riding in the dead of winter...Cold enough for you?
Actually there might be a limit but it has to be pretty darn cold. I've riden in winter often in Denver Colorado and when it's real cold I'll give the carb a shot of quick-start, ether, and after a few seconds of warm up and some choke my engines perform the same as they do in summer; maybe a little better. Hope this answers your question.

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
The coldest I've ever run anything at was -22 degrees F. These motorized bicycle engine kits will fire at just about any temp. you want to ride them in.

Finfan

Aug 29, 2008
Tucson, AZ USA
I think at -20 F I'd be more worried about the tires and tubes cracking! For that matter I would also be worried about small bits like fingers and toes breaking off!

matt167

May 20, 2009
usa
at really cold temps, you could have cold seize issues just as a snowmobile can have.... might also be a good idea to change jetting on the carb but, it should run at any temp..

Mike Hunt

Jun 9, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
-20 celcius, not -20 fahrenheit, mind you. i see people running their gas snow blowers during the winter all the time, so it safe to assume the bike will rund as well?

Mike Hunt

Jun 9, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
ok its starting to get cold here. i had a heck of a time starting the engine on a ride to the library the other day, i tried choke open, choke closed, half choke, but it took half the trip to get it to start with the choke fully open, pedaling up to speed and popping the clutch over and over. would using the tickler have helped in this situation? once i got it started it ran pretty well, maybe even better than during warm temperatures.

Last edited:

Junster

Jun 2, 2009
Washington St.
It's easy to flood a engine when it's really cold. Try a 2 sec push on the primer and no choke. I'm with bike joe on this one you will need more mods than the bike motor will. It should run at any USA stateside temp.

Sep 4, 2009
Texas
If you can't store the bike inside where it's warm I'd suggest getting an electric pipe wrap and wrapping it around the engine & carb. They do something simular with big trucks (Block heaters) and if you can get diesel to start anything'll start!

Norco John

May 26, 2009
Brookston, IN
2 second push on the tickler and1/2 choke. Still took it 50 yards to start, and that was at 50 degrees.
Because it gets dark around 7 here, I only get to ride on weekends now.

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
i was riding around today. it was like 63 degrees out... man, i was freezing.
... o_O

Weather for Bath/Brunswick Maine;

10/13/09
Slight Chc
Rain/Snow
Hi 44 °F
Lo 30 °F

I don't wanna talk about it o.o

but - my bike starts & runs just fine lol I WILL STILL COMMUTE!!1!

Last edited:

rdrunner2010

Sep 24, 2009
Maine
I feel your pain Barely, although the temps here are a bit higher. I just got my bike all working nice, and the temperature rapidly dropped.

But think of all the great winter mods that will pop up! Maybe skis instead of tires, and treads haha.

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
They wont be higher fer long man - let's ride while we can!

I think my "winter mods" are gonna be limited to studded tires and hand warmers lol but I am curious to see just how long I can keep ridin' this season :D

Bicycle riding in Maine during the winter? Sometimes I'm just stupi... um... stubborn heh

There is ofc this... hmm... :p
http://motorbicycling.com/f3/snow-bike-10447.html

Last edited: