Clutch Lever Locking Screw Popped Out!

GoldenMotor.com

Aleebi

Dec 17, 2013
Fremont
Hi guys, so yesterday I was riding my bike like usual when suddenly the locking screw from my clutch handlebar fell out? Any suggestions on what I should do?
For reference, the part I'm referring to is circled.

The bike works fine, but in order to idle I have to hold the clutch lever down instead of relying on the lock to do it for me.

Attachments

Last edited:

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Drill a 1/16" hole in the pin and use a 3/32" washer then install a 1/16" cotter pin where the original snap ring was. I hope you were able to salvage the spring. If you lost the spring, Ace Hardware will have a replacement.
While you're at it put a 3/32" rubber 'O' ring between the washer and the lever to stop that annoying metallic 'click' sound when you release the lever and engage the clutch.

Tom

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Just buy a new one.
Hmmmm, let's see. New clutch lever and shipping, ahhhh, something like fifteen bucks?
1/16" cotter pin at the hardware store, .15 cents?
Decisions, decisions...Guess it depends on if you're on Social Security and a pension or not. :)

Tom

Aleebi

Dec 17, 2013
Fremont
2door, I'm not very savvy with hardware so to be honest I have no clue what you just said haha.

I don't really know the ins-and-outs of clutch handlebar.

MotorBicycleRacing

Jul 28, 2010
SoCal Baby!!!
www.facebook.com
2door, I'm not very savvy with hardware so to be honest I have no clue what you just said haha.

I don't really know the ins-and-outs of clutch handlebar.
The washers that hold the spring on are secured with a folded over ring of metal kind of like a pop rivet.
Take a hammer and spread it with a few taps so it doesn't let the washers fall off.
Support the other end on a block of wood when you tap it.

Just another detail I do to my kits before they are sold so I don't have to replace clutch levers.

Sent from my SCH-R720 using Forum Runner

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
I like the ratcheting type levers since they're longer for easy use in traffic and have diff stop points in case it is hard to find a good lock point that still gives good clutch grip

they do take some getting used to tho

I'd get some type of new one and save the old one for a spare brake lever.

MotorBicycleRacing

Jul 28, 2010
SoCal Baby!!!
www.facebook.com
I like the ratcheting type levers since they're longer for easy use in traffic and have diff stop points in case it is hard to find a good lock point that still gives good clutch grip

they do take some getting used to tho

I'd get some type of new one and save the old one for a spare brake lever.
Longer than the short clutch levers? :)

The clutch lever I carry is 1/8" longer than the ratcheting one and has the
same amount of pull as the ratcheting ones highest setting.

The ratcheting clutch levers are hard to get on the highest notch which is
really the only setting you want to use.

I will post some pics later.

Thanks Tom
I do like the idea of adding an 0-ring to the spring loaded locking pin.