I am here.

GoldenMotor.com

HardcoreHadaway

Jun 12, 2013
Uxbridge
I have decided to try and mount one of these engine kits to a bike. I have a Black 80 Slant from somewhere in China and I bought a CCM 26 Scout 19" frame. The U mount barely fits around the downtube...in fact I have have to bend it...with my bare hands. You see I have no garage ,only basic tools and am building it in a corner of my apartment. Tomorrow I will get a dremel as I think it will be key. I want to have this all done in a day or 2. So here's hoping for no problems. After all...what could go wrong.

Master-shake

Feb 24, 2013
texas
heh, in a day or two..

Suggestions!!

1)Mount the rag joint first! so you can use your bike as the stand to true it (some sprockets aren't flat when you get it, chck to see if it is before you give yourself a headache trying to true it.
2)get a multi tool with file, one of these basically put together my bike.
3)mount the tank last.
4)autozone has BBQ grill spraypaint 1200 degrees that works well.

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
Welcome to the forum. Nothing wrong with building in the living room. Just roll it outside before gassing up.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
What could go wrong? Newton's law: "If it can go wrong, it will go wrong". Just stick with it and it will be figured out.
LOL, I think Murphy said that, not Newton.:)

To the OP, welcome and good luck. If/when you run into problems there is a world of help and advice here just waiting for you. Use the search feature but if you can't find an answer there feel free to ask. Always someone ready to offer a hand.

Good luck and ride safe.

Tom

HardcoreHadaway

Jun 12, 2013
Uxbridge
Re: I am Here

I got some tools this morning and now almost everything is mounted. I broke the 14 dollar dremel but it did cut the 2 bolts I needed it to.The engine mounted with some help of the 3 dollar rubber mallet. I was able to get the peddle and crank to clear the exhaust by about quarter inch without bending it at all. The rear sprocket is mounted and as true as I am going to get it. I bet there is a better way then these pieces of rubber squeezing the spokes... Clutch is on but the cable needs to be shortened. The throttle is together but I need to get a drill to make the hole in the handle bar, also that cable needs to be cut to the right length. Carburetor is together and mounted to engine and the coil is mounted with a couple zip ties.

The gas tank has an issue as the bolts are not long enough to reach the brackets... a fat top tube. I am going to solve this with different brackets that can bend around to reach the bolts. The only other thing is the chain... Everything looks like it lines up but only time will tell. Tomorrow I have to work so only a few hours in the morning to see if the chain will spin.

Master-shake

Feb 24, 2013
texas
Oh hey this may be bad advise but I've noticed less noise coming from the ragjoint after using armor all tire shine. The ragjoint is basically rubber anyway.

fatdaddy

May 4, 2011
San Jose, Ca.

I got some tools this morning and now almost everything is mounted. I broke the 14 dollar dremel but it did cut the 2 bolts I needed it to.The engine mounted with some help of the 3 dollar rubber mallet. I was able to get the peddle and crank to clear the exhaust by about quarter inch without bending it at all. The rear sprocket is mounted and as true as I am going to get it. I bet there is a better way then these pieces of rubber squeezing the spokes... Clutch is on but the cable needs to be shortened. The throttle is together but I need to get a drill to make the hole in the handle bar, also that cable needs to be cut to the right length. Carburetor is together and mounted to engine and the coil is mounted with a couple zip ties.

The gas tank has an issue as the bolts are not long enough to reach the brackets... a fat top tube. I am going to solve this with different brackets that can bend around to reach the bolts. The only other thing is the chain... Everything looks like it lines up but only time will tell. Tomorrow I have to work so only a few hours in the morning to see if the chain will spin.
Hey Hardcore, Welcome to the forum. I think you will find this is the right place to be as your build progresses. But, Now that you have introduced yourself this may not be the thread you need, as 2door has already suggested, figuring out problems you may have with your build. There's not many questions that haven't already been asked, and answered, somewhere on this forum. Once you start using the search button I think you'll find it addictive.
Good luck with your build and please don't be afraid to ask any question at all, Simply search for the proper thread for it. You may find your answer without even having to ask it.
fatdaddy.

HardcoreHadaway

Jun 12, 2013
Uxbridge

Thanks Fat Daddy, you are right. I learned so much from other threads I am tentative about firing it up. The tips and tricks thread gave me some ideas of stuff to do. Clearly it's easier to do things to a clean engine. Now I have to clean the clutch and grease the gears, clean the magneto, and fiddle with carburetor. Have you heard about adding oil to the air filer? And yes the site can be addicting.

Master-shake

Feb 24, 2013
texas
oh, one more thing. if that tensioner doesnt seem to spin freely you may need to add a spacer and or washer to get it to roll smoothly.