How long should a drag strip be?

GoldenMotor.com

Walter F.

Jun 4, 2008
Connecticut
Guys I'm really getting into this "drag bike" I'm building, but while crunching numbers I realized I needed a constant number to go with time, I needed distance (don't nothin' get by me). Soooo I'm thinking 1/10th of a mile: 528 feet can be accurately measured,somewhere safe. Then with engine running see how fast you can go from dead stop to the marked end. Yeah drag racing!

1/10th of a mile is one city block, red light to red light, like back in the day.

Well what do you guys & gals think???

Plus this gives you a place to test your improvements!!!

Keep'er straight on the strip.Walter F.

HoughMade

Apr 15, 2008
Valparaiso, IN
Standard drag racing is done at 1/4 mile or 1/8 mile. I would go with 1/8 mile, 660 feet, because then you may even find drag strips that are set up to handle it and we can use real trees and traps.

velardejose

Sep 9, 2008
Lima, Peru
Interesting
I have a question
How much are you allowed to pedal?
Thing is, you pedal to get the mb in motion
We are trying to measure engine power, not rider power :)))
Jose

Walter F.

Jun 4, 2008
Connecticut
My bike is in a 100 pieces right now, some of you all measure off what ever distance and see what you come up with! We're breaking new ground here. If you got to pedal you got to pedal. When the light turns green you go period. Start turnin' in some times you draggers!!Big Burnouts Walter F.

Easy Rider

Santa Cruz Scooter Works
Jan 15, 2008
Nor*Cal
I would go with 1/8 mile, 660 feet, because then you may even find drag strips that are set up to handle it and we can use real trees and traps.
I agree HoughMade, I went to a 1/8 mile strip and that would be plenty long but if you use a 1/4 mile strip I would gear my bike low to see how fast my top speed could reach.

Walter F.

Jun 4, 2008
Connecticut
Certainly can, so can the "sparkys" & 4 strokers. Remember you're racin' the clock, but if you line up next to some ol' granny on a recumbent and get your "doors" blown off "thats racin'"!!!Have a nice trip down the strip. Walter F.

RecycleBill

Oct 31, 2009
Greensboro, North Carolina
Why not have 2 classes, one for pedal start and one for throttle start? In pedal start you begin each race with the engine off-- throttle start is like any other drag race.

Also, some bikes could run in both classes, in which case you might see some very different results from the same bike.

As for how long the track should be-- depends on how full you can fill the grandstands. The more fans the longer the track.

Seriously, I would think no more than 1/8 mile and probably no more than 1/16.

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
NHRA Top Fuel classes had their distance shortened to 1200 feet or so last year to improve safety and control costs. They still are doing over 300mph when they pull the chutes.

Last edited:

Charged-Reacter

Dec 12, 2008
west-central Illinois
I was thinking of 100 yards because when you get into longer
distances, they are alot of factors that can be considered. The
worlds recoerd for a 100 yard dash in a track meet is around 9.0
seconds. Since were on a bicycle that would be more comparable
to than someone racing a vehicle at an 1/8 mile drag strip.
Lap racing around the track of a football field against another bike
or bikes is a better comparision to drag racing....anyway that is what I
think about it.