Over heating? Black finish vs. Standard Finish

GoldenMotor.com

Trac

Apr 16, 2012
Surprise, AZ
Hey guys,

Last night I picked up a black, silver and brown rimed Huffy Cranbrook.
I would really like a black finish skyhawk 66cc
I live in Arizona where temperatures will soon be steadily in the 100's if not much above at most times during the summer. Will a black finish motor overheat easier in the desert heat?
If, so, are there precautions or after market parts I can install to keep my engine cooler, or should I just stick with the standard, unpainted standard finish?
Can someone please give me some suggestions on after market parts to install to help with engine life for daily use of about 20 miles per day, in the desert weather. Other than maintenence, are there cylinder heads that can provide better cooling?

Thanks for your input
Trac

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
A black engine will run cooler because it will shed the heat easier than a standard finish engine.... That's why the engines in old Volkswagens were painted flat black. ;)

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Look at the engines in race cars, especially NASCAR cars. The engine blocks will be painted black for the reason Venice gave. Chrome, or polished will hold in heat. Black will allow the heat to escape the casting better. Just don't sit and idle for long periods. These are air cooled engines and rely on air passing over the cooling fins on the head and cylinder to dissipate engine heat.
Tom

dragray

Mar 10, 2012
Indiana
if you think about it, these engines run at temps in the 250 - 300 degree range...so 100 degree ambient air temp will actually cool the engine.
Black disspiates heat much better than silver or chrome.
Look at Harley's...their engines are black most of the time.
look at older air cooled 2 stroke dirt bike engines...they were all flat black.
Black is fine.