Roadmaster Luxury Liner

GoldenMotor.com

troyboy

Your East Coast Gasbike Connection
Apr 18, 2009
Wista ma
3166158018_74d0034183.jpg 1948RoadmasterLuxury.jpg 47d396132a4da_58495n.jpg I have a opportunity to purchase some of these 1998 50TH Anniversary Roadmaster Luxury liner bikes. They are 11 year old reproductions of the 1948-1954 Roadmaster Brand New in the box. I bought one today to check em out. This bike is awesome! It came fully assembled in a huge box.
They are crazy MB's. I do not know tons about vintage bikes. I can get a good amount of these believe it or not.. They sold for $3,000 in 1998. I can get them now for $750.00. All paperwork included.

Features
Search Beam Headlight
Taillight w/ Brake light
Electric Horn
Coaster-back Pedal Brakes
Shockmaster Double Spring Front
Enduring Style and Quality
26x2.125 Whitewall Tire w/ 12 gauger spokes
Blue Chip Investment
Rideable Fine Art
Rolling Sculpture

Any knowledgeable input on these bikes would be appreciated.
Thanks
Justin

Last edited:

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
those are good repros, but they're not the same quality as the originals. i don't think any of the parts are made in the usa, except for maybe the price tag.

as far as it being a "Blue Chip Investment," you'll probably never get more than what you paid for it. they have no value to serious collectors, and a restored original is about the same price. you see those repro bikes on ebay all the time for outrageous amounts of money, and no one ever buys them. the reason you can get them for 750 now, is because nobody in their right mind woulda paid 3 grand for a repro. it's a nostalgia thing, nothing more. for three g's, you could buy 10 real vintage bikes, fix 'em up, and still have enough money left over for a Dodge Dart.

all that being said, it's still a cool lookin' cruiser, but the parts don't add up to the price.

now, if you could get the guy to knock another 500 bucks off the price, you're stylin.;)

troyboy

Apr 18, 2009
Wista ma
those are good repros, but they're not the same quality as the originals. i don't think any of the parts are made in the usa, except for maybe the price tag.

as far as it being a "Blue Chip Investment," you'll probably never get more than what you paid for it. they have no value to serious collectors, and a restored original is about the same price. you see those repro bikes on ebay all the time for outrageous amounts of money, and no one ever buys them. the reason you can get them for 750 now, is because nobody in their right mind woulda paid 3 grand for a repro. it's a nostalgia thing, nothing more. for three g's, you could buy 10 real vintage bikes, fix 'em up, and still have enough money left over for a Dodge Dart.

all that being said, it's still a cool lookin' cruiser, but the parts don't add up to the price

bairdco,
I thought I was stealing this bike. Guess not. I wouldnt pay 3g's neither for this bike. When I seen the price tag for $750.00 I thought it was a fair price. If I took ten I could have got them for $600.00 each.
The bike seems to have everything a MB would want. Lights = head, tail, and, brake. 12 gauge spokes, horn and a awesome look.
Glad I did'nt take the ten I guess.

Thanks for the info, its appreciated.
Justin

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
600 bucks isn't so bad, i mean, look at how much Felt charges, and they use 14g. spokes. the main thing you gotta think about, is for 6 bills, plus motor, you're into it for 700, 750 apiece. then you gotta think, "who's gonna buy these?"

you said you bought one, put a motor on it and see what kinda response you get. if you could find enough people interested, it might be a nice profit.

or, keep the one for yourself, buy another, and put it on ebay without a motor. see if anyone bites...

another thing, what about the rest of the parts? is it a shimano coaster brake or a no-name china? is the chrome good? check out what the parts cost at Niagara Cycles or bikepartsusa and add them up. i mean, it's still looks waaay cooler than a cranbrook. but it is 6 times the price...

troyboy

Apr 18, 2009
Wista ma
600 bucks isn't so bad, i mean, look at how much Felt charges, and they use 14g. spokes. the main thing you gotta think about, is for 6 bills, plus motor, you're into it for 700, 750 apiece. then you gotta think, "who's gonna buy these?"

you said you bought one, put a motor on it and see what kinda response you get. if you could find enough people interested, it might be a nice profit.

or, keep the one for yourself, buy another, and put it on ebay without a motor. see if anyone bites...

another thing, what about the rest of the parts? is it a shimano coaster brake or a no-name china? is the chrome good? check out what the parts cost at Niagara Cycles or bikepartsusa and add them up. i mean, it's still looks waaay cooler than a cranbrook. but it is 6 times the price...
I hear ya bairdco,
Good looking out on the input.
Basically, I was just looking to flip a few for a small profit to some of my MB enthusiasts friends / customers. I was trying to see if this bike sparked a bunch of chatter or not in this thread. So far looks to be just me and you. I thought this find would be a bigger deal. I will motorize it and see what it brings. The electric D battery powered horn kills me. Double springer front shock is very unique as well.
I will get a closer look at the components in the morning.
Until then bairdco.

Blaaaargh

Have a good one.
Justin

Kevlarr

Jul 22, 2009
Mi
That HAS to be what the LBS has on display in the window because it's too damn perfect to be restored. Theirs is black .

troyboy

Apr 18, 2009
Wista ma
That HAS to be what the LBS has on display in the window because it's too damn perfect to be restored. Theirs is black .
Kevlarr,
I can ask the man I am dealing with on these if they had made any of them in black. He was a partner in the production of these bikes back in 98. He has 80 left out of the 5000 of them made. I secured ten more of the bikes today. We'll see.
Justin

Martin 1940D28

Aug 24, 2011
massachusetts
Hi Justin, Don't think you did wrong with the "deal". I got the one you "motorized" and it is the smoothest "bike" this old fart has ever ridden. If'n I can ever get caught up on bills, would like to have one to "pedal" along with my old 3 speed Rawleigh. I,ve been around quite a while, pedals as great as my first full sized Columbia I got for my 6th Birthday in 1948! Martin 1940D28

kevyleven007

Sep 25, 2008
texas
I could see $399 retail.maybe$500 tops but I'm poor.Hey,some people pay $2000 for a road bike and I dont even like road bikes.my guess is somebody will buy them.

donb4103

Oct 7, 2011
Chickasha,Oklahoma
Bought one 6 months ago for $375 from a guy in western Oklahoma. Looked like brand new. Not one scratch. Sold it 2 days later for $600 to a local man to just pedal around on. was going to put a motor on it but could not pass up a sale.