What do you use for anti-sieze?

GoldenMotor.com

Finfan

Aug 29, 2008
Tucson, AZ USA
So I have an old bike and the engine is in the mail. I've seen the tip to use anti-sieze on the spark plug. What is it and where do you get it? I was at a motorcycle shop this weekend to get some synthetic 2-cycle oil and they had no idea what I was talking about.
Thanks!

OSCAR383

Jul 22, 2008
WEST FRANKFORT, IL
So I have an old bike and the engine is in the mail. I've seen the tip to use anti-sieze on the spark plug. What is it and where do you get it? I was at a motorcycle shop this weekend to get some synthetic 2-cycle oil and they had no idea what I was talking about.
Thanks!
FIRST OF ALL WHEN TWO DIFFERENT METALS LIKE THE DIFFERENT METALS IN THE SPARK PLUG AND ALUM/POTMETAL HEAD. OF THE ENGINE HEAT UP THE EXPAND AT DIFFERENT RATES AND CAN CAUSE THE PLUG TO BECOME IMPACTED IN THE HEAD AND MAKES IT HARD TO GET OUT WITHOUT STRIPPING THREADS ESPECIALLY IN ALUMINUM. ANTI SEIZE CAN BE PURCHASED AT YOUR LOCAL PARTS STORE . SOMETIMES ITS CALLED COPPER ANTISEIZE AND IT HELPS PREVENT METALS FROM BONDING TOGETHER INTHE CASE THAT YOU EVER WANT TO REMOVE IT IN THE FUTURE.

jasonh

Jun 23, 2008
Longmont, CO
AutoZone. They oughta know what you're talking about, and they have it in little packets at the counter usually.

I can't believe the motorcycle shop didn't know about it, but they may not use aluminum-head motors much...

Pablo

Master Bike Builder & Forum Sponsor
Dec 28, 2007
Duvall, WA PNW
www.sickbikeparts.com
On a more serious note - you only need a little bit. I check my plug fairly frequently so I certainly only use it with a new plug.

I have Al paste, Copa slip, Nickel, - but the best for plugs? The little stick kind. It's Aluminum in semi solid "crayon" form. Not messy, easy to apply.

Again - too much or on the tip and you'll foul the plug I imagine.

mralaska

Aug 16, 2008
Deerfield, NH
Copper Antisieze is cheaper but I use Aluminum Antisieze for its improved corrosion resistance. I ordered mine from McMaster-Carr along with enough threaded rod, bolts, washer, nets, gasket material, and a bunch of other stuff to set the engine up the way I wanted it.