Looks or performance.........

GoldenMotor.com

What do you prefer? One or the other, not both.....

• The way your bike looks

Votes: 10 20.8%
  • The way your bike peforms

Votes: 38 79.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

coryc

Jun 17, 2011
bullhead city,AZ
i voted looks if i had to choose 'cuz if i really wanted performance i'd go to my 'real' motorcycle. now don't everybody get bent outta' shape 'cuz i said that. bottom line; i have two bikes[motorized] for that very reason:fully dressed 50cc, fully bad-ass 66cc

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
Scotto, reading the wording of your post, am I correct in assuming your definition is not limited just to speed since you're saying 'the way it performs'?
Right you are happyvalley.....speed is one of the results of performance. Performance would be handling, clean running, good acceleration, efficient and mechanically sound. And as Norm mentioned earlier here, reliability would be a high priority in a build.

Appearance, performance and reliability are everything. Quality speaks for itself.

dnut

Last edited:

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
i really can't choose between the two.

i love the looks of every bike i've built, and they all perform exceptionally well, too.

my race bike for example. i purposely built that bike to race, and instead of painting it and detailing it all pretty-like, i f'd up the looks intentionally for the "intimidation" factor.

and everyone still complimented me on the way it looked...:)

when i build a bike, there is no compromise. the looks and performance go hand-in hand. i look at the overall picture and just put it all together.

i'd never build a "show" bike without having the performance tuning to match, even if it was rarely ridden.

if i'm flying by someone so fast that they can't see the details, they can always catch up to me at the stoplight...:)

Vistaman73

Chat Box Junkie
Nov 29, 2009
Shawnee, Kansas
My bike is sort of a sleeper. It don't got too much going for it in the ways of looks:
But when I'm going 41 MPH, no one has time to look at it anyway. ;) Obviously I love performance and reliability, but if I can make it look good I will. I don't purposefully make it sloppy. But most of my money goes to performance parts. :D Either way, I'm happy with my bike and I love almost everything about it.

Last edited:

msrfan

Sep 17, 2010
Southern California
Most of the bikes I've seen that were built for performance became a thing of beauty as I checked the details. You know what I mean, well thought out with nothing on it that isn't needed. Solid motor mounts, tucked away wiring, all the right fasteners and clamps, good tires, sleek tank, functional forks, nicely routed and correct length cables and a simple paint job are just a few things I look for. You pay enough attention to the details and quality of workmanship and good looks become a natural by product of a performance bike.

zean

Dec 5, 2010
california
Looks or performance, which one is it? There is no right or wrong answer. For me performance includes: power, handling and reliability. Presently technology can overcome any performance problem including comfort and environmental stuff. To make something good looking is hard to learn. A designer is born with that eye that sees things others don't, and then put that into the free flowing lines of a motorized bicycle so it looks impressive or like it's moving when it's standing still. I'm older, I like good looks for my own satisfaction of being able to build something good looking and to impress a few people. I also like reliability and power when I'm thirty miles from home in ranch country. I'm sorry my mind changes from one to the other. Thankyou.

scotto-

Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
Looks and performance......and reliability? When I build things, I try to incorporate all of the qualities......don't we all? I don't like building things half-assed, I prefer to go the extra mile whenever possible.

Sometimes it shows, other times you gotta look at it long enough to know, after all......beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Besides bikes, I like to build guitars......here's an old bass I built......look's or performance? What did I have in mind?

I would say looks, more than performance.

And here ?

Performance , more than looks.

dnut

Mike B

Mar 23, 2011
Central CA
Any performance that is faster than I can pedal is wasted.

I would like performance that is as slow as I can pedal, but I am not going to find it I think.

Any performance that makes my bike less reliable than a pedal bike is not desirable.

Any performance that makes a lot of noise I avoid.

But a good looking quiet bike that can do some useful work and relieve me of same is what I am looking for.

scotto-

Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
Any performance that is faster than I can pedal is wasted.

I would like performance that is as slow as I can pedal, but I am not going to find it I think.

Any performance that makes my bike less reliable than a pedal bike is not desirable.

Any performance that makes a lot of noise I avoid.

But a good looking quiet bike that can do some useful work and relieve me of same is what I am looking for.
Very logical....makes good sense Mike.

dnut

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
I believe... that if you've done your absolute best to build for all aspects of performance it can't help but end up beautiful, even if it isn't "detailed" or all gussied up with shinies. Just as true is that if you've compromised on performance for looks alone, it may not look as good as ya think...

Form follows function mang ;)

Last edited:

CTripps

Aug 22, 2011
Vancouver, B.C.
As has been said, form follows function. I'm for performance first, the machine has to function before I make it prettier.
That said, I'd also have to say it depends on the purpose of the build. Like a workhorse that does the daily commute or pulls a trailer vs. the funky custom cruiser or whatever.

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
I too follow the mantra of form follows function.
I built my MB to be quiet, reliable, not butt ugly, and as fast as those criteria let it be. Usually when I create a part I try to make appear to be a factory made piece. Sometimes I succeed, sometimes I throw it away and start over.