Engine starting to smoke

GoldenMotor.com

cloud

Mar 19, 2011
USA - Michigan
Ok my 2010 grubee skyhawk 66/80 is starting to smoke, I noticed it the other day after after coming to a stop.

I know that it smokes when its warming up so thats not it, I think something happen internally cause it wasnt doing this until now.

I have around 170 miles on the engine, mostly I only cruise with it around 18-22 MPH but have taken it to 35 a few times. My breakin was 24:1 then normal mix after breakin is 32:1

when keeping it around 18-20 its smoking some, but when running it at 25 or over it will smoke bad.

Could it be the compression ring or what ever its called thats around the piston gone bad or could it be something else?

Thanks

cloud

Mar 19, 2011
USA - Michigan
only place smoke is coming from is the muffler , im sure theres something wrong but I dont know what would cause it to do that unless its the compression ring on the piston thats gone bad.

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
All 2-strokes smoke, unless you are running a "smokeless" pre-mix oil.
Piston ring failure will not cause a 2-stroke engine to smoke excessively like it will on a 4-stroke engine.
A 4-stroke engine has an oil sump underneath the piston which is where the excessive oil would come from.
A 2-stroke engine does not have this design. All the oil it gets is from the oil you mix with the gas. That said, if the carburetor is tuned rich or has some sort of failure in it that is causing a rich condition when you are at wider throttle positions ( loose fuel jet?)
then you may notice excessive smoke.

cloud

Mar 19, 2011
USA - Michigan
Hmm interesting, I will tuneup/check out the carb to see if thats the prob.

I have a cns carb on it, hopefully its just the setting as in the air to fuel adjustment screw.

the muffler has been getting a wet look around where the exhaust port is at for a while.

cloud

Mar 19, 2011
USA - Michigan
ya sounds good, I will do this in the next day or so.

Its been hot here and my shed is getting like 120 or hotter inside of it LOL, like an oven.

hang some meat in there and cook it within an hour LOL, so morning or late afternoon is best.

Diver

Sep 25, 2010
Seattle
I would give the bike a good shake before you start it up- shake the gas and oil back together. Never pour oil into the tank, make premix and shake that really good too..

You could have internmittent 'lack of lubrication' issues causing the smoking ie. the aluminum is cooking.

cloud

Mar 19, 2011
USA - Michigan
Im actually running 32:1, I do shake it a bit when taking it out of the shed but giving it a good shake before starting it up is always a good idea when dealing with a mix.

Im just going to have to go through everything before coming to any conclusion.

havnt got to do anything to it latly cause of the heat here, so have to wait till theres some what of a cool down.

Peace