Now I own *two* DAX GT50r motors........

GoldenMotor.com

donutguy

Feb 4, 2010
PA
My original DAX GT50R is back with the guys at Dax getting a head bolt replaced under warranty......I like the motor so much...I bought a 2nd one so I always have a spare.

It ain't here yet and since my original motor is being repaired....I kinda don't have *any* motors right at the moment :-(

I eventually plan to use the 2nd motor on another bike I own with Dax's rear mount chain drive system as more funds become available. My main bike is friction drive so it will be cool to have a bike with the chain drive as then I'll be able to ride in crappy weather without having to worry about the drive roller slipping on the tire.

The bike I plan to mount the chain drive kit to is an aluminum framed mountain bike...this bike weighs 23 pounds-I would imagine it's gonna be fairly quick once I get the money to buy the rest of the parts I need.

zean

Dec 5, 2010
california
Hi. I'm happy to hear that Dax is reworking your old GT50r and another is on the way. Two different drives for two different weather conditions sounds good. I imagine these business men are very busy and at times hard to get a hold of. Good that the deal is being resolved. Thankyou.

donutguy

Feb 4, 2010
PA
Well....the GT50R will run circles around the Subie engine.

I'm not a speed demon but I had a TLE 43 with 2.2 horsepower (similar to the Subies output) and it really struggled to get my 220 pounds up some of the hills around here.

The GT50R doesn't even break a sweat going up the same hills as it's about twice the horsepower. I don't plan on riding the GT50R at WFO throttle....going 15 to 20 mph is just fine for me-the extra power in reserve is really nice to have.

fall_down_stand_up

Apr 26, 2009
granbury
Well....the GT50R will run circles around the Subie engine.

I'm not a speed demon but I had a TLE 43 with 2.2 horsepower (similar to the Subies output) and it really struggled to get my 220 pounds up some of the hills around here.

The GT50R doesn't even break a sweat going up the same hills as it's about twice the horsepower. I don't plan on riding the GT50R at WFO throttle....going 15 to 20 mph is just fine for me-the extra power in reserve is really nice to have.
Run circles around the Subaru for how long?a week until it dies?You said your vacation was messed up becouse of this cheap engine you bought....Go with the Subaru or Tanaka or Honda and be done with it....
John

donutguy

Feb 4, 2010
PA
Yeah...good point, but the power that motor puts out is *incredible*-you really have to experience it to believe it-I thought I put a small motorcycle engine on the rear of my bike.

It's kinda hard to go back to something slower even if it might not be as dependable.

At any rate-I'll have 2 motors (and 2 bikes when I get enough money to finish the 2nd bike) and both motors have a 6 month warranty.

From all my dealings with Dax so far......I have no doubt he will take care of me if I run into problems. He is fixing the motor I had issues with, hopefully that will be the last time I have any issues......if I do run into problems.....I am certain that Dax will be a standup guy and take care of me.

The guy I previously dealt with didn't return my emails, so that's why I changed vendors.

Mike B

Mar 23, 2011
Central CA
More power to ya!

:)

I really like less power. Less power and less noise. Less vibration.

The older I get, the slower I go.

You go fast guys have fun and more power to ya!

donutguy

Feb 4, 2010
PA
Amen to that Mike.....the GT50R has probably twice the power I actually need about 90% of the time....the 10% of the time I need the extra power-I want it to be there waiting and ready for me.

I guess is that what I am trying to say.....I am willing to take a certain amount of risk for the extra oomph.

MotorBicycleRacing

Jul 28, 2010
SoCal Baby!!!
www.facebook.com
Amen to that Mike.....the GT50R has probably twice the power I actually need about 90% of the time....the 10% of the time I need the extra power-I want it to be there waiting and ready for me.

I guess is that what I am trying to say.....I am willing to take a certain amount of risk for the extra oomph.
If you must have a high performance 2 stroke a GP460 is the way to go.

Engine Stats: Displacement: 45.7cc. Power: 4.2+HP @11,000 RPM, 2.35 lb/ft torque @8,000 RPM. Fuel: 91 octane or higher mixed 25:1 with 2-stroke oil.

Only $255 and put in ddm code for a 5% discount

bb88xx

Quality motor that will run circles around that pocket bike motor.

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
I can attest to this as I own 2 of these engines currently and they are very high performance with options to make them even more so. You can buy this engine, get the Trevor Simpson ported cyl. with high compression head and the TS reed block and the Dominator pipe or the Jet-Pro "Rhino" Silenced Expansion Chamber and be turning 18,000 to 22,000RPM and smokin the competition......word!

dnut

If you must have a high performance 2 stroke a GP460 is the way to go.

Engine Stats: Displacement: 45.7cc. Power: 4.2+HP @11,000 RPM, 2.35 lb/ft torque @8,000 RPM. Fuel: 91 octane or higher mixed 25:1 with 2-stroke oil.

Only $255 and put in ddm code for a 5% discount

bb88xx

Quality motor that will run circles around that pocket bike motor.

donutguy

Feb 4, 2010
PA
They look nice, but I really like the guys at Dax.......I know that if I have a problem, all I have to do is shoot them an email and they almost always get back to me in less then 12 hours.

I spoke with them this morning and they have a newer version of the GT50R coming out that is supposed to alleviate the head problems of the existing motor and they are going to modify my motor so I don't have the same problems again.

5-7HEAVEN

Aug 2, 2008
Run circles around the Subaru for how long?a week until it dies?You said your vacation was messed up becouse of this cheap engine you bought....Go with the Subaru or Tanaka or Honda and be done with it....
John
Tanaka 47R engine, the BEST combination of power(2.8hp+) AND reliability AND gas mileage(103 mpg).

ESPECIALLY with the Tanaka-specific three-piece pipe. I'm SO glad the pipe fit on my bike.

FWIW, methinks its performance in the shift kit and the pipe.....

and "tucking in".xct2

I seriously considered twin DAX GT50r engines on my Project 29er, but.....

Nah.

Maybe twin GP460's.dance1

donutguy

Feb 4, 2010
PA
Oh my......I'm almost 52 years old and while I'm not quite an old geezer, I am perfectly content to ride along at 20 mph and enjoy the scenery.

The fact that my bike will hit close to 40 mph if I need it to is just icing on the cake.

If I have to replace the motor once a year....that's cheap fun in my book.

5-7HEAVEN

Aug 2, 2008
I'll be 65 this year. I guess I'm in denial, because I don't consider myself an old geezer either, lol.

If I rode 20 mph on my commute, I'd be a dead man. I could bet that I'd be sideswiped or hit from behind. I'd also be hearing a whole lot of "Get off the road!":-||

Traffic here is VERY congested. When it clears along my commute to work, the drivers are playing "catch up". To claim the lane, I need to be travelling at the speed limit or 5 mph over. Any slower, and the safest place is the short stretches of bike lane or the sidewalk.

I had an impatient Mercedes van overtake me as I left the traffic light on a two-lane road. The speed limit was 25 mph, I was accelerating towards 30 mph, and the van must've topped at least 40 mph

I have hit 43 mph for brief moments on my commute. It is not a speed I like to be travelling at. Travelling at 25 mph-30 mph in traffic is comfortable for me.xct2

Mike B

Mar 23, 2011
Central CA
I'm glad I don't have to worry about that. The town I live in has a lot of bike lanes on the roads, and I never have to "claim the lane"

donutguy

Feb 4, 2010
PA
Almost all of my riding is recreational and nearly all the roads I use are either seldom used back roads or roads with a wide shoulder. 20 mph is a good speed to be able to enjoy the scenery :)

fall_down_stand_up

Apr 26, 2009
granbury
Tanaka 47R engine, the BEST combination of power(2.8hp+) AND reliability AND gas mileage(103 mpg).

ESPECIALLY with the Tanaka-specific three-piece pipe. I'm SO glad the pipe fit on my bike.

FWIW, methinks its performance in the shift kit and the pipe.....

and "tucking in".xct2

I seriously considered twin DAX GT50r engines on my Project 29er, but.....

Nah.

Maybe twin GP460's.dance1
The Tanaka would be a nice powerful engine to have,but I wanted a 4 stroke so I could just pull up to the pump and filler up,no fuss no muss....The 1.6HP is plenty for me,I travel at a average speed of 26MPH with the GEBE kit and Subaru engine.....I honestly dont think the GEBE belt could handle much more power than I have....
John

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
Question.....

John, I haven't seen what the belt on the GEBE Kit looks like or what type of a belt it is, since you mentioned that you didn't think it would handle much more than the 1.6HP or so I am wondering now if I should be considering the Kit with the engine I had in mind for it, I was thinking about the 49cc 2 smoker I have included a pick of here, I have a bike I think this would make one heck of a good combo on if the kit will hold up to this engine.

What type of belt is used on with the GEBE KITs?

Thanks, Peace

Shan in super HOT DRY Central Texas.......wow it's bad here right now........!

The Tanaka would be a nice powerful engine to have,but I wanted a 4 stroke so I could just pull up to the pump and filler up,no fuss no muss....The 1.6HP is plenty for me,I travel at a average speed of 26MPH with the GEBE kit and Subaru engine.....I honestly dont think the GEBE belt could handle much more power than I have....
John

Attachments

Last edited:

MotorBicycleRacing

Jul 28, 2010
SoCal Baby!!!
www.facebook.com
The 1.6HP is plenty for me,I travel at a average speed of 26MPH with the GEBE kit and Subaru engine.....I honestly dont think the GEBE belt could handle much more power than I have....
Several people have successfully run a GP 460 with an expansion chamber which makes
at least 5.5 hp and they have gone a GPSed 56 mph using that GEBE belt.

Kawasaki99? is one member here and DetonatorTuning on Motardbikes.com

To make this work everything must be lined up properly......

Last edited:

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
well, it looks like about the same time I started asking my questions they got answered.......

I know that the engines I'm looking at may not hold up nearly as good as the GP460 or some of the others but I just thought they might do me pretty good for a while, but actually now that I think about it for an extra $125 the GP460 may not be a bad route to go.......!

Thanks for putting this info. up MotorBicycleRacing

Peace

Several people have successfully run a GP 460 with an expansion chamber which makes
at least 5.5 hp and they have gone a GPSed 56 mph using that GEBE belt.

Kawasaki99? is one member here and DetonatorTuning on Motardbikes.com

To make this work everything must be lined up properly......