Ask a specific question

GoldenMotor.com

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
I saw that norm, what I am working on is a logic for the story on my blog. If you are in a small town and the clutch cable breaks, could you go to a hardware store and make a lawn mower cable work till you got home. I think it would work well enough for a while at least. I think a good emergency list of "make do" stuff would be nice to have around.

Norman

LORD VADER Moderator
Jan 16, 2008
pampa texas
carry a special little cable end made with brass drilled and threaded and a length of
1/16" flex aircraft cable which you can get at a hardware store, I can put up some pictures later if you would like.

You guys want a how to on a cable end mold? Let me know, I'll show you all how to make one in the shop step by almost step
Today so let me know.

Last edited:

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
I think they are called a cable end clamps- I get them at the Tractor Supply Co. or Ace hardware.

The end of the cable slips through the hole in it, then you tighten an allen head screw down on the cable.

Norman

LORD VADER Moderator
Jan 16, 2008
pampa texas
I can show down and dirty cable clamp then a how to on a mold to cast cable ends sound like fun? I can also do an end for the throttle I've shown that on here before.
What about shorter cable need a show how on that?

Norman

LORD VADER Moderator
Jan 16, 2008
pampa texas
Deacon
Your story guy should carry a vice grip pliers he could make a make shift clutch lever control off the clutch arm until he could get to a town for proper repairs. I limped a honda goldwing home by using my fingers on the throttle linkage cause the throttle cable broke and I didn't have any tools and the old lady was on behind made for some interesting riding and a very sore finger.
Norman

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
Ah I have a set of those little brass tubes with a bolt to make an adjustable end. I have those I use on the end of my throttle cable since I don't have a twist accelerator. I bought mine at the auto parts store. I kept all of the extras since these days you have o buy an assortment.

Norman I have seen your how to from the other site and it looks good. I noticed on the new cables I bought from the bike store that there are two parts to the ends. there is a smaller bit then the bulge. I think I could just grind off th big blob to make the smaller end on the throttle cable inside the carb.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
The vise grip I do carry but it never occurred to me to use it. What I was thinking is tie the clutch the frame to with a slip knot and twine. Get the bike's speed up and pull the string to drop the clutch. use the kill switch to stop the bike, then tie it up again. At the worst you could tie it up and pedal home. I have a very small bungee cord I'm going down right now and put it in the tool bag. Just in case it happens again, I can at least tie the clutch arm to the frame and push it home.

Norman

LORD VADER Moderator
Jan 16, 2008
pampa texas
Yes the cable kit comes with a different ends on each end. The throttle cable end that fits in the slide, its important that that end does not come off. That is why I silver solder that end on all my bikes. As far as solder goes silver solder is the way to go I have trouble getting regular solder to stick even with a good acid flux and the cable is galvanized so that could be part of the problem.

Norman

LORD VADER Moderator
Jan 16, 2008
pampa texas
Deacon you have the right idea for an emergency road side repair for the clutch. It don't have to be pretty just get you to a place so you can make the proper repairs.
Norman

Norman

LORD VADER Moderator
Jan 16, 2008
pampa texas
I'm going to post a (down and dirty emergency cable end )how to in the next few minutes. I'll start a new post with pictures, I made it out of thing most guys will have in their shop and the only special tools is a tap and a #36 drill bit all done on a vice. I used a 1/4" bolt as well nothing fancy. The problem with using a repair like this is if the cable end pulled out or the cable came apart you will need to carry wire cutters to trim up the shredded cable end and then you might not have enough cable anyway.an option is to carry a length of cable to use. I would carry a cable with a molded end and not mess with the end I made as to many small things to loose but sometimes this end might come in handy. A guy can also skip the threading part and silver solder the end onto the cable skipping all the other stuff.
Norman

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
NEW QUESTION

Is it possible to convert a bicycle wheel to use with only one side support. ie bolt through a frame with no outside rail or folk.

If so how does one go about it.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
NEW QUESTION.
What would be the best gasoline engine to use for a friction drive setup. I'm thinking weekwacker with the centrifugal clutch.

Last edited:

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Mine doesn't even have a centrifugal clutch...It's got a lever you throw like an old tractor. You pedal up to about 1 mph, then just throw the lever. Mine will go from 2 mph to 22 with ease. I can even ride it through the yard at a walking pace.

I believe it's a 32cc Tanaka engine.