Psyched in Portland

GoldenMotor.com

WilliamPDX

Mar 15, 2010
Portland Oregon
Greetings from Portland!

This forum is amazing. EXACTLY what I needed. And after lurking awhile I know that you're a bright, friendly bunch. Thanks for being here.

I just took ownership of a Trek Calypso. I live in the city, and almost everything I do is within a mile. BUT three days a week I commute 14 miles each way, and have been using my car because of time and... hygiene requirements. My Hope is that I have chosen a platform (comparatively light 7 speed cruiser) that will allow me to pedal only in the flat neighborhood, and fire up a four stroke engine for distances. So begins my journey! <grins>

I'm really psyched to have joined you. Information exchange among new and seasoned enthusiasts? This is gonna be SWEET.

WilliamPDX

jared8783

May 13, 2009
Elkhart, IN
Just make sure you use a 35cc or less engine here in OR as per regs. And have fun with it!
why 35cc or less

Thanks and welcome to the site William
That calypso sure is nice to ride around isn't it?

Sorry no blog
Have ya ever motorized a bicycle before?
Motorizing a calypso is just like motorizing anything else (if ya plan on riding it around like a bicycle you will notice the added weight of the engine)
except
as you can see as far as the engine goes it is a VERY tight fit
like I said I have to remove the spark plug just to get it in
but once it is in obviously the spark plug goes right back in
as tight of a fit as it is you and I are VERY fortunate that it even does fit

If you want a four stroke to fit your frame you gotta contact this guy
tyrslider (be sure to tell him that you have the same bicycle as jared8783)
He will be able to sell you an engine mount that will work
since it is such a tight fit i doubt that any other will work
plus his mount is VERY sturdy
I would get a chain tensioner from him as well
very sturdy
however the clamps he sent with the tensioner were too small diameter for the trek
i just went to my local hardware store to get different clamps

you oughta contact this guy

Creative Engineering

for a sprocket adapter
seeing as how the rag joints are known for breaking spokes
his sprocket adapter is the best

as far as gearbox i am currently waiting on the cvt belt drive from
tyrslider
you can keep up on that
if you are interested in this forum
http://motorbicycling.com/f37/new-frame-4-stroke-kit-development-13442.html
he talked about it a bit on the last few pages

if everything goes well i will have one in a few weeks
i will be helping him test it
it is too early to say when it will be available to the public or a price

for engine i am using the honda gxh50
you can also use the huesheng it is a chinese "clone" of the honda

if ya have anymore questions just let me know

Last edited:

mabman

Oct 4, 2008
In the wind
The state law in OR cuts motor assist bicycle/scooter status @ 35cc and 24mph

According to ORS 801.348, a motor-assisted scooter:
Is designed to be operated on the ground with not more than three wheels;
Has handlebars and a foot support or seat;
Can be propelled by human or motor;
Has a motor capable of propelling it no faster than 24 miles per hour on a level road; and
Has a motor no bigger than 35 cubic centimeters or, if electric, has a power output of no more than 1,000 watts.

Moped law is more generous with regards to cc and speed but must have a vin number and all the DOT stuff to qualify.

ORS 801.345 defines moped as a vehicle, including any bicycle equipped with a power source, other than an electric assisted bicycle or a motor assisted scooter that complies with all of the following:
Is designed to be operated on the ground upon wheels.
Has a seat or saddle for use of the rider.
Is designed to travel with not more than three wheels in contact with the ground.
Is equipped with an independent power source that:
Is capable of propelling the vehicle, unassisted, at a speed of not more than 30 miles per hour on a level road surface; and
If the power source is a combustion engine, has a piston or rotor displacement of 35.01 to 50 cubic centimeters regardless of the number of chambers in the power source.
Is equipped with a power drive system that functions directly or automatically only and does not require clutching or shifting by the operator after the system is engaged.

Electric has its own regs.

According to ORS 801.258, an electric assisted bicycle:
Is designed to be operated on the ground on wheels;
Has a seat or saddle for use of the rider;
Is designed to travel with not more than three wheels in contact with the ground;
Has both fully operative pedals for human propulsion and an electric motor; and
Is equipped with an electric motor that has a power output of not more than 1,000 watts and is incapable of propelling the vehicle at a speed of greater than 20 miles per hour on level ground.

Last edited:

jared8783

May 13, 2009
Elkhart, IN
well thats a bummer

glad im in indiana
i qualify for moped
sort of
50cc or less, 25mph flat ground, have pedals

but the ONLY thing the cops care about here is 50cc
you could do 50mph and they dont even look twice

WilliamPDX

Mar 15, 2010
Portland Oregon
Thanks so much for the welcome and info- greatly appreciated.

I'm glad that my choice of cruisers was a good one, so far it's the most perfectly COMFORTABLE bike i could imagine for 90% of my rides, and thanks to Jared I now know it can be powered by a four stroke as I envisioned. I LOVE your bike man!

It's also helpful to hear from an Oregonian about legalities here. (Props to mabman). I talked with people in my local bike shops on my travels today. No one had even heard of a Portland retailer/installer of gas powered bike engines. They were ALL pro-electric, with plenty of tips and recommendations.

The vibe I'm getting in this hyper bike friendly city is that gas "just isn't done." And in one way or another, everyone mentioned likely police scrutiny. And as quirky, green and near-Utopian as Portland is in so many ways, NOBODY want's to fall into the police's "profiled" category. (Some might correctly and factually add that Portland police inadvertently "kill" the unarmed and "mis-profiled" on a "semi-annual" basis, but it might be politically charged and I couldn't possibly comment.)

So I'm a bit rudderless again. Is a reliable, quality 4 stroke engine of 35cc's even available? I have NEVER seen one advertised. And though I have no philosophical qualms with all electric (I'm actually warm to the concept), isn't it going to be exponentially more expensive to achieve similar range?

One way or another, Gidget is gettin' motorized. I'm too new here to know our moderators or active members well, but would love to hear from Oregon (maybe Portland?) residents, and feel free to move this thread to a more appropriate topic category.

Thanks again!
Peace
William

Last edited:

jared8783

May 13, 2009
Elkhart, IN
well
staton-inc.com
has some 35 cc kits, there is honda, subaru and i think mitsubishi
i dont think that there is an in frame kit for the 35 cc
i have only seen rack and axle mount
you might want to start a thread in the 4 stroke section to see if anyone knows more