flower nut

GoldenMotor.com

Wood.Neely

Feb 16, 2010
Auburn, AL
hello all, for those who have been reading about my loosening clutch, this is another thread to go along with it... thanks to everyone in advance for the help

i have been told my the tech guys i bought the bike from that this is a simple fix... all i need to do it adjust the flower screw slightly and grease by clutch rod and my bike should be running like new

a) can someone explain what the flower nuts function is
b) this seems simple, but am i going to screw something up that i don't know about

i just want to get this thing moving again and i am running out of options...

thanks

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
I will only say at this point take the bike to the "tech guy" you got it from and let him adjust the flower nut....I think he;ll get an education.

HseLoMein

Oct 30, 2008
Boston, MA
a) clutch plate flower nut, makes sure the chutch plate and the clutch pads connect. you should see the flower nut and a retaining screw. undo the retaining screw and tigheted the flower nut1 or 2 turns to the right (remember righty tighty, lefty loosey). this will pull the clutch plate closer to the clutch pads, so there will be more pressure from the spring and give the clutch more grip.

b) the absolute worse thing that could happen, is you losen it to much and really have slipping issues or tighten it too much and you can no loneger disengage your clutch.

you may just want to take the flower nut off and take a look at how the cliutch works. its pretty nifty.

Wood.Neely

Feb 16, 2010
Auburn, AL
perfect, yea after some tweaking (turning to much the at first and too little after that) i finally got it situated perfectly... even allowing my clutch handle lock to perform properly.

appreciate the reply

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
a) clutch plate flower nut, makes sure the chutch plate and the clutch pads connect. you should see the flower nut and a retaining screw. undo the retaining screw and tigheted the flower nut1 or 2 turns to the right (remember righty tighty, lefty loosey). this will pull the clutch plate closer to the clutch pads, so there will be more pressure from the spring and give the clutch more grip.

b) the absolute worse thing that could happen, is you losen it to much and really have slipping issues or tighten it too much and you can no loneger disengage your clutch.

you may just want to take the flower nut off and take a look at how the cliutch works. its pretty nifty.
Partly true.

I have state in the forums many times the flower nut does not adjust clutch spring tension.

The tension is adjusted by the collar on the shaft inside the case. The flower nut adjusts the region of engagement or the distance between the drive and drive plates. If you get this distance too close, you will have a quick to engage grabby clutch, too far (I mean EXTREMELY TOO FAR) and you may have a slipping clutch. 99.999% if the pressure on the clutch plate is from the primary spring inside the case.

In your case, LOOSENING the flower nut would likely do more to cure a clutch that won't dis-engage.

Am I confused now?

Wood.Neely

Feb 16, 2010
Auburn, AL
Partly true.

I have state in the forums many times the flower nut does not adjust clutch spring tension.

The tension is adjusted by the collar on the shaft inside the case. The flower nut adjusts the region of engagement or the distance between the drive and drive plates. If you get this distance too close, you will have a quick to engage grabby clutch, too far (I mean EXTREMELY TOO FAR) and you may have a slipping clutch. 99.999% if the pressure on the clutch plate is from the primary spring inside the case.

In your case, LOOSENING the flower nut would likely do more to cure a clutch that won't dis-engage.

Am I confused now?
no, no, not confused at all. after a few days of tinkering i finally got it in the right place, and now the bike is absolutely cruising... hit 40 yesterday and i am able to comfortably ride 35

thanks for the help

577-Jersey

Mar 23, 2013
central western nj
no, no, not confused at all. after a few days of tinkering i finally got it in the right place, and now the bike is absolutely cruising... hit 40 yesterday and i am able to comfortably ride 35

thanks for the help
40 MPH,,what the holy heck!!!!!
Man I need what motor and setup you got...lol

Good times...

:)