So I'm a idiot

GoldenMotor.com

Mopedamauter79

Mar 31, 2008
Ottawa
I decided to take another look at the engine today and I'm looking at where I thought I blown a gasket. This was of course after I took off that sealant.

I wanted to figure out how it was still very loud even after the sealant on. So I grab my roomie flashlight and I'm looking around and the gasket does not apear to be blown. So I think to myself maybe it's the head gasket.. I look up and point the flaslight at the head. This is where I find the problem..

I had a gasket blown..however it was not where I thought it was. The gasket that blew was the exaust gasket. I guess it was a bad gasket or something because it blew right away. I'm also thinking the exaust was not on as tight as I thought it was.

Thankfully I had a spare gasket and I replaced the blown one and made sure it was nice and tight. I took it out for a good almost 3km test run and it sounded pretty much normal. I guess when I looked at the exaust gasket before It was dark and I didn't notice the chunk missing ?

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
The exhaust manifold flange where it attaches to the cylinder can be warped. This can and will cause premature gasket failure. When you have the pipe off lay a sheet of medium grit sandpaper on a known flat surface and rub the flange across the paper. You'll be able to see immediately if the flange is flat or has a warp to it. Most of the warpage I've seen is not bad enough that you can't sand it flat with a little time and elbow grease. The machined surface of the cylinder is usually pretty good but you can check it with the same method only use a flat file and sand cloth or paper to see if there are high or low spots that need attention. A good mating surface, a quality gasket and proper torquing of the fasteners will assure maximum life for the exhaust manifold gasket.
And no, you're not an idiot. An idiot wouldn't have asked for help. :)
Tom

Last edited: