I found this in my mothers garage

GoldenMotor.com

deadmousefetish

Mar 8, 2012
California
This is a Lafree. It is an electric bicycle made by giant a few years back and they stopped making it. I am wondering if anyone has owned one or even better if they had one and modified it? If this thing still works I want to make a tricycle out of it. Right now the thing was made for some giant human as I at 5'11" can not ride this thing comfortably. zpt

Attachments

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast
I DID look at the link, Alf... It IS interesting what they tried... matching power with the rider effort.
No wonder it failed in marketing! lol

DM, it'll probably work, but the batries will be shot. the xpesnive part!

Kinda difficult fabbing a trike rear section to it... or maybe not????
(they might have some sort of bolt-on)

Unless there is a specific reason to do that, perhaps a sidecar would be an idea?

good luck
rc

Al.Fisherman

Sep 9, 2009
Calera, Alabama
after a little research I found the batteries and a charger here.
http://www.atbatt.com/scooter-batteries/b/giant-la-free/m/giant-la-free-bicycle.asp
I need that before I can find out if the electric motor still works. But that is like $130 and I do not want to spend that to find out that the motor is shot. I am going to have to do more research on this.
Think about hooking up a lawn mower battery to test the motor? Or do they even allow riding mowers in CA. :>) If they don't, I wouldn't be surprised.

Last edited:

Mike B

Mar 23, 2011
Central CA
In CA you don't even need pedals to be legal with an electric.

A "motorized bicycle" or "moped" is:

•A two or three-wheeled device, capable of no more than 30 mph on level ground, and equipped with:

– Fully operative pedals for human propulsion.
– A motor producing less than two gross brake horsepower and an automatic transmission.
– An electric motor, with or without pedals for human propulsion. (CVC §406(a))

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/motorcycles/motorcycles.htm

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast
Yah, dmf, u could just borrow a car battery, or 2 if u need to run em in series, and wire it up temporary-like using some common romex.
I've done it for testing barbee jeeps...
Best
rc

Yah we got garden tractors here in the golden state! lol
Gazillions of 'em!
I think they are running 18-22hp in most of em now! crazy!

All the mini-rancho folks compete with each other seeing who's gonna buy the biggest kubota 4x4 and the most attachments. Whew! They get real pricey!

Best
rc