4-stroke + cvt?

GoldenMotor.com

linnix13

Oct 7, 2009
in the world
I was looking at the bolt pattern of the Hua sheng 4-stroke motors and it looks the same as a pit bikes, I was wondering if anyone ever hooked up a pit cvt or gear reduction to one of these four strokes?
ahh that looks sweat! exept the drive sprocket seems to be for smaller chain, not sure on the clutch bolt padern. i will have a look when i get home but i cant be positive by just eyeing it, how much is that gear box btw?

civlized

Apr 28, 2009
Alabama
I can tell you that the bolt pattern is not the same. The pattern of the cvt is bigger than the engine. Also, the output sprocket turns the opposite direction from the engine. The clutch bell is too small for the standard clutch also. I played with this for about a month before throwing it in the corner for a while.

civlized

Apr 28, 2009
Alabama
Also, I forgot, the crank shaft has to be cut off about a half an inch or so to allow the cvt to slide up enough for the clutch to fit inside the bell.

ride65

Jan 9, 2009
connecticut
Bolts right up to a Titan and the Titan comes with a clutch. Fancy scooter sells a 12 tooth 12mm sprocket 1/2 inch pitch for bike chain. You can get 11 tooth 14 tooth for 8mm chain.

civlized

Apr 28, 2009
Alabama
http://motorbicycling.com/f37/cheap-cvt-mount-8784.html

My engine was from a cheap kit with a hoot gearbox. My mount was inside the frame also, not a rack mount. The above link is to the post I put up while I was playing with it. I will say that the two rides I got in before the thing broke was pretty nice. I just haven't convinced myself to tackle this project again. Good luck if you decide to go for it.:-||

thescootergy

May 22, 2009
gladstone oregon
the 5to 1 cvt and the 3to 1 you pictured will fit the right style motor you are talking about , but the one you pictured will not work, it has the wrong crank. its too long . you want the titan or one like it that has the shorter crank .
I was looking at the bolt pattern of the Hua sheng 4-stroke motors and it looks the same as a pit bikes, I was wondering if anyone ever hooked up a pit cvt or gear reduction to one of these four strokes?

WayneC

Aug 2, 2009
Clearwater, FL
The motor is the Subaru 35 (4stroke). It is not fast--27 top speed. Don't need to pedal off the line but I do just to help things along. At a recent rally, I had the smallest engine and was the slowest bike there. For 1.6 hp tho, it does all it is capable of. I've got the CVT tuned to spin the motor at 7300RPM at top speed. I think the Titan would be the ticket if in fact it is a different mount setup than the HS. It would spin the motor at the same RPM but another 1/2HP would really kick things in the butt. I know Neat times has a Titan setup but he's been afraid of it since it back flipped off his deck. Can't speak to longevity tho. Before the 1400 miles on this setup, my motor started life on a different bike as a friction drive with about 2K miles when it morphed into a CVT. Oh, and this bike is really heavy--around 100 lbs loaded for commuting.
Sheesh, now I feel sorry for that poor little motor.
WC

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
2 funny Wayne! Your title. I posted this on your thread;

Peabody here, this is my boy Sherman. Frekin awesome Wayne! Really sweet!

For folks who dunno about "The wayback machine", Mr Peabody and his boy, Sherman; Mister Peabody - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia The joke was Mr Peabody was a dog. Was too funny. One of the best parts of Rocky and Bullwinkle. They, using the wayback machine, would go back in history and help famous and historical folks fix things and history. Mostly threw the use of great one liner jokes and very bad puns.

For the love of good! Some one post a clip!? I couldn't find one and dinner is ready.

Or as Bullwinkle says; "I take a 7 and a half"

Attachments

Last edited:

civlized

Apr 28, 2009
Alabama
If you look at the pics posted of the cvt, you can see a nut and bolt coming through the clutch bell. This was the problem with my HS engine. I cut the shaft and still had to make an adaptor. The crank is longer for the clutch bells that have a gear on the front of them. The bolt pattern between the two was very close. I might have been able to get the bolts to fit if I played with it. I was making an adaptor anyway, so I bolted the adaptor to the engine and then the cvt to the adaptor.