Operational Engine Stand

GoldenMotor.com
Dec 11, 2014
Tucson
The brushless motor is my favorite but I would have to recharge a Lipo pack more than likely as these bicycle motors barely make enough electricity to fire a spark plug. We did all the math to run an electric turbo on my last RX7 then I met these VW guys who had an operating one and they showed me how difficult it was to control. The block and crank they blew apart on the dyno was quite impressive actually ha ha. That said, I bet RC motors and controllers are readily available and we'll proven. I bet they spin faster than a bike motor and wouldn't need to be overdriven as much. I need to do a little hunting for RB35 parts as I probably only need the compressor side wheel, shaft, and housing. This could end up being really fun, it almost makes me want to do it to a 2 stroke. Then I would have two things that people say absolutely do not work. Electric turbo, and forced induction on a two stroke.

Dec 11, 2014
Tucson
Sorry, that was probably the worst hijacking in the history of forums. I do need an operational engine stand more than ever to work on the things talked about. I wonder how well something like this could be turned into a standing that you could load the motor and tune with.

http://tucson.craigslist.org/spo/5113107042.html

I found one with a flywheel that I bet would both load the motor and measure output at least to compare jetting and pipes and such but it was $200.

Davezilla

Mar 15, 2014
San Antonio Texas
Actually something like that would probably be capable of putting enough load on an engine to run it in before installing in a bike... I remember seeing one that had a giant fan on it instead of the typical flywheel so the fan blades provided most the resistance while keeping the rider/exerciser cool.
I'm still thinking more on finding a used generator that I could run a fan off of to both load the engine as well as provide cooling air. The generator could also be further loaded by using halogen lights or other methods of varying the load it would be possible to use the generator as a dyno to find out an engine's power output. One would need an accurate way to measure the output from the generator as well as the generator 's efficiency percentage then it would be possible to measure the output in kilowatts which could be converted to hp.

Davezilla

Mar 15, 2014
San Antonio Texas
That's the same one I've got my eyes on... and it's on sale right now for $339 which isn't bad, but still a bit steep for taking the engine out to make it into a dyno... but if I can find a used generator about that size for the right price I will get one. I also always check the returned and scratch and dent items everytime I visit harbor freight just in case they got something like that at a much lower price.
Another thing to consider would be an automotive alternator since it could also be loaded enough to load up one of these engines for breaking in. Preferably a big truck or rv alternator that can put out more current, which would put more of a load on the engines. Most car alternators that can put out about 120 amps or more would be ideal, but even at 100 amps, that's just 1200 watts so not quite enough to use as a dyno for these engines but 2 of them could be used, and these also have a good amount of rotating mass even without a load... just another thought...