Anyone try an Airwheel yet?

GoldenMotor.com
"latest magnetic levitation motor, which replaces the bearing with magnetic suspension"
Judging by this line of fantasy, the obvious unaddressed technical problems with such a device, and the absence pricing, the thing is worthless or worse. I must say, however, the still pics are cute.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
That really was interesting to see, Wret. Thanks for posting it.

This kind of cracked me up; "...fuzzy software algorithm and gyroscope system to maintain balance"
For such a well done and worded webpage, the use of the word "fuzzy" seemed out of place.

Would really be cool to see some one zipping to work on the side of the road. In full business attire with briefcase in hand.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Not to go off topic but I think we are just not making fun of the phrase ".fuzzy software algorithm" enough.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Har, lol Joe!

I just earlier watched the video where you were crouched over a 2 smoke MB and smoke was pouring from burning tire.

Would be a great video. A bunch of us at the starting line on these things. Well, not great but really funny.

Is good to see you, Joe. I missed you.

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
I have seen un-powered vehicles that look like the Airwheel. They were described as skateboards with only one big (20inch) wheel. I was considering an un-powered one back when I still rode the bus downtown to work. The expansive soil in the Houston area means sidewalks usually become too rough for skateboarding soon after construction. That could make Houston the perfect market for the Airwheel.

wret

Feb 24, 2014
Maryland
Apparently its a knockoff of a similar device that has been out for several years: the solowheel. They sell for around $400-$600 on ebay and amazon and actually get some decent reviews.

I couldn't use it as I live in a particularly pedestrian unfriendly area but for someone in the city, a vehicle that you can put in a backpack has a lot of appeal.

tooljunkie

Apr 4, 2012
Manitoba,Canada
An old friend spoke of the magnetic bearing 20+ years ago.
He was also working on a self levelling ladder. We all thought he was a little nutts.

Go figure. Wonder if he has his fingers in this stuff.....
Woudnt think it from what he drives.

Wickedest1

Oct 31, 2012
connecticut
An old friend spoke of the magnetic bearing 20+ years ago.
He was also working on a self levelling ladder. We all thought he was a little nutts.

Go figure. Wonder if he has his fingers in this stuff.....
Woudnt think it from what he drives.
Does this same guy you speak of hold the patent on the board stretcher? Cause i went to home depot the other day and had a whole bunch of people confused and running mad looking for it for me...

TimD

Aug 3, 2014
London
Hi Everyone,

I'm TimD, a dad in his 40s who's been looking forward (without knowing it) to this kind of technology to be readily available. I first saw a guy riding down Oxford Street, London a few months ago on what looked like an Airwheel X3. He seemed to be mingling with pedestrians without any trouble. I wondered how he controlled it thinking that he may have a remote controller in his hand. He even stepped off his wheel and stepped back on again with complete ease. My reaction like many others was "What is that?" and "I want one!".

I didn't go up to the guy on the wheel but made it my mission to search for it on the net, entering keywords such as unicycle, electric, mono, wheel etc. Before long I saw sites for Airwheel, Solowheel, IPS, Mobbowheel and plenty of YouTube videos. After a short while of justifying the cost to myself I took the plunge and ordered an X5.

It took weeks to arrive but was definitely worth the wait. I knew I wasn't going to master it instantly and chose to have it delivered to my work address in London where there's a decent bit of floor space to practice. On the day the unit arrived I waited for everyone else to go home and then I unpacked the device and gave it a try, propping myself up against a bank of cupboards. To start with I was a complete clumsy idiot lurching about and falling off all over the place (and that's despite being an ice skater). However after about an hour I was starting to get the hang of going a few meters without needing to hold onto anything.

I remember some advice I picked up "gently lean forward and trust the wheel". It seemed to do the trick. That very same night I embarked on a 10 mile trip back home from work. I didn't have much confidence so I waited until it was late at night when not many people where around. I got most of the way without much mishap but then the battery gave out so I had to finish the journey off by bus.

Anyway to cut long story short I now have a 340WH Q3 and that easily lets me commute all the way in & out of work. The 10 mile trip each way takes about 1h20m by wheel (an hour by metro, 50 mins by bicycle or 2.5 hrs by foot). I now have far more confidence and am fine with the attention that the wheel brings.

I know there are other users out there who are equally enthusiastic about these devices and I'm interested to find out how others get on with theirs, as well as their opinions and feedback from general public.

There's a video of me on the X5 here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LVz4y7Ro1YM

I started an Airwheel (+ other makes) forum at: http://mywheel.freeforums.org