hello all! i have a question about my currie.

GoldenMotor.com

fatmikey42

Aug 3, 2012
central california
hey, i'm new to the forum. just joined the forum, have a problem i hope i can find help with. i have work at 4 in the morning, and i have a currie e-ride, pretty old and falling apart, to get there. well suddenly i can't get the little turn lock that locks the battery to the frame to, well, turn and lock. it feels like i'm trying to turn a stripped screw, but the design of the thing seems like that would be impossible. if anyone knows about these things, i could really use some help, or else i'll be using about a half a roll of duct tape to keep it there.

Last edited:

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Howdy Mikey, welcome.

Sorry, don't know any thing about em.

Try replacing the screw? Look around the DIY. Lots of innovative ideas for securing parts.

bluegoatwoods

Jul 29, 2012
Central Illinois
That lock is probably shot. If it's the same type as on the Currie e-Zip Trailz, you're no worse off. They're not really all that good. The lock on the rack and the battery connectors at the bottom of the rack. Those connectors are definitely a problem.

For right now, the duct tape is a good fix to keep you on the road while you figure out something else.

What I did was to take the two SLAs out of the battery 'pack' that Currie supplies. I bolted two soft-sided lunch boxes like you find at those big box stores onto the rack. The batteries ride in there. A couple of straps with good strong buckles holds the batteries so that they don't rip right out the side of those lunch boxes.

I wired plain old household extension cord ends into the bike wiring harness and the batteries.

Plug and 'play'. Works like a charm. And it's less ugly than the stock set-up.

ddesens

Jun 27, 2011
New Port Richey, FL.
Slide the battery out of the side that wont lock. The lock cylinder can be unbolted from the frame via 2 phillips head screws. When the lock cylinder is in your hand look for a small phillips screw on it. Remove it. Pull the cylinder apart and let all the tumbler pieces fall out. Put the cylinder back together and rebolt to the frame. Just use a flat blade screw driver to lock/unlock it now. Thats what I did with mine. Works well.

fatmikey42

Aug 3, 2012
central california
thanks for the tips everyone. bad news is my bike is nothing like an e-zip when it comes to the battery. here's a link to a picture. my bike is just like this one http://www.leys.com/basic/rockfish/images/eride.jpg
good news, it turned out to be even easier to fix. the lock thing i was talking about is right under the handle of the battery pack, if you can make that out. well the locking thing is a really weird little cylinder with knobbles and stuff, seems to have been machined and made just for this model. seems pretty pointless, so i just drilled out the back of the lock on the frame, and replaced the whole situation with a bolt and wing nut. thanks again for trying to help, though, guys.

bluegoatwoods

Jul 29, 2012
Central Illinois
Hey, man, that really is a cool looking bike!

I've never seen anything like that from Currie. I wonder if that's some engineering that their new owners brought along with them?