Magnetize a spoke

GoldenMotor.com

allen standley

Oct 22, 2011
Bangor, Maine
Is there a method that will magnetize one spoke so the speedo transmitter can see it. I've thrown sensors off the wheel so often there's got to be a better way.laff

Al.Fisherman

Sep 9, 2009
Calera, Alabama
Is there a method that will magnetize one spoke so the speedo transmitter can see it. I've thrown sensors off the wheel so often there's got to be a better way.laff
Nothing permanent unless you remove the spoke first. I magnetize my screwdrivers with this.
http://www.google.com/imgres?um=1&h...143&start=8&ndsp=20&ved=1t:429,r:12,s:8,i:124

OR
If the spoke is placed into the center of a coil of wire, and then a large amount of DIRECT CURRENT is sent through the wire, the item can be magnetized. The orientation of its poles will match the orientation of the field generated by the coil.

Last edited:

maurtis

Dec 14, 2011
Kyle, TX
Somehow I doubt you could get the magnetic force on a single spoke strong enough...

When I used a bike computer on my motorcycle which had non-spoke rims, I used JB Weld to hold the magnet on. Never threw the magnet over the course of thousands of miles and hitting 100+ MPH on the track. Maybe the same would work for you?

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
A little dab of silicone adhesive works great and you won't have a lump of hard, difficult to remove goop on your spokes.
Sorry, I hate JB Weld.

Tom

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
Just a dab of blue lock tight. My spoke magnets have done fine for me. Once a blue moon might lean the bike somewhere or something? Never caught it in the act? To see it got re-clocked somehow? Very very rare for me tho.

Most of the time just put them on right from the packaging. Have seen that coating on bike bolts like these before tho from the factory. Like with brake and rotor hardware.

Last edited:

tooljunkie

Apr 4, 2012
Manitoba,Canada
i cant see the magnetizing last very long,it can be done,but i slapped my magnet on right out of the box,200 miles of gravel roads hasnt bothered it.if i llose it,i'll have to glue something on.