NOS jaguar build , 2door would be happy ....

GoldenMotor.com

greggasbike

Nov 23, 2010
north carolina
So , I had a new old stock jaguar that I had been waiting to build .... finally got a new kit to use .....

The bike itself came out great . Very easy to put together . The Jag requires very little modification and it looks so dm cool !

I painted the gas tank and chain guard silver to match the bike ..... make sure to clearcoat the tank , gas will eat cheap spray paint......

Now that bad news ....... The engine used was a gt2b , of course i scrapped the cns carb right away and used the NT ( not dealing with the cns problems anymore , been there , done that)

The bike started up fine ..... usual smoke from the painted muffler , let it warm up and gave it a slow ride........ then the bike would backfire at low idle .... even die on its own. I upped the idle and it seemed fine... continued on my trip .... but something just didn't seem right.... no power or smoothness at all.....

I made it home and checked everything...... THE CYLINDER HEAD WAS CRACKED FROM THE FACTORY..... you could see the gas/oil exhaust coming out the side. The crack is where the bolts from the muffler are in the head, its the casting itself !!!!!

Well lets test gasbikes return policy !!!!!

Attachments

MarkSumpter

Nov 27, 2010
Ohio
Well lets test gasbikes return policy !!!!!
Good Luck with that!!!

I had several bad deals with them and now only deal with Piston Bikes or Pirate Cycles. Yeah their prices are great at Gasbikes but their service wanks. I would rather pay a few bucks more and get good service.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Greg,
You just knew I'd have a comment, didn't you? You've built a fine looking machine. I hope you get this warrantee thing worked out so you can enjoy it.
Just in case you ever want to do some custom trim painting Dupli-Color has a nearly exact match for the Jag blue. Look for part # BTY1612, Stellar Blue Pearl. It's a Toyota color.
Let us know how you make out with GasBikes on the cylinder. Are you sure it's not just the exhaust manifold gasket?
Tom

greggasbike

Nov 23, 2010
north carolina
Greg,
You just knew I'd have a comment, didn't you? You've built a fine looking machine. I hope you get this warrantee thing worked out so you can enjoy it.
Just in case you ever want to do some custom trim painting Dupli-Color has a nearly exact match for the Jag blue. Look for part # BTY1612, Stellar Blue Pearl. It's a Toyota color.
Let us know how you make out with GasBikes on the cylinder. Are you sure it's not just the exhaust manifold gasket?
Tom
Tom , 2door , I am just about to get dinner w my girlfriend . I will shoot you an email when I get back. Tomorrow I am going to clean and inspect everything again.... is it possible that the head gasket burnt up as well ???? I used the correct ratio for break in .... ( this is my 5th bike build) as always something new everytime..... but yeah it really looks like a crack right now....

Last edited:

MotorBicycleRacing

Jul 28, 2010
SoCal Baby!!!
www.facebook.com
Oh, no! you drilled a hole through the front down tube.....

I don't know how anyone can ride with those cow horn bars,
you can cut 2 1/4" off each side and still fit all the controls
if you insist on keeping them.

I have a few jaguars and they work really well with 4 strokes.

Forget about getting any warranty from Gasbike.

greggasbike

Nov 23, 2010
north carolina
Oh, no! you drilled a hole through the front down tube.....

I don't know how anyone can ride with those cow horn bars,
you can cut 2 1/4" off each side and still fit all the controls
if you insist on keeping them.

I have a few jaguars and they work really well with 4 strokes.

Forget about getting any warranty from Gasbike.

Well the drilling the frame issue is about the same as the coaster vs v-brakes .... everyone seems to have a strong opinion one way or the other. I have built 5 bikes now , all drilling the frame. ZERO problems so far , one bike has over 2,500 miles , another over 1,000. Its just doing it correctly , using washers and rubber to strengthen and dampen. I use steel frames as well, I don't think I would do it to aluminum.

Also , I already cut 2.5 inches off the handlebars...... saw that in another thread ......

Also I doubt they will do anything w the warranty either , gasbike i mean....

ratrod

Feb 7, 2011
Australia
Hi there sorry to hear about your drama ...with a cracked manifold are you able to weld and grind or even that paste you can kneed and forms hard? I've used it on water pumps with success but not yet with high temps....nice bike by the way !!

MarkSumpter

Nov 27, 2010
Ohio
Hi there sorry to hear about your drama ...with a cracked manifold are you able to weld and grind or even that paste you can kneed and forms hard? I've used it on water pumps with success but not yet with high temps....nice bike by the way !!
Rat Rod, good suggestion but in my opinion trying to weld cast aluminum is next to impossible especially on a jug and I really dont think epoxy would work well with the heat and pressure of compression.

These china engines parts are so cheap it literally wouldnt be worth striking an arc to repair it even if you have the skill. If it is just the exhaust gasket blown easy fix if not a jug is about 25 bucks and you dont take the chance of crapping out other parts.

OP As stated I doubt you hear back on the warranty.