help with first build. small problems

GoldenMotor.com

camrahtz

Jun 30, 2011
california
Hi there. so i have purchased a raw motor for my micargi stealth single speed with coaster brakes.

There are a few issues however that have slowed my build.

First is the brakes, i am concerned that the coaster brakes would be safe and reliable? if they are not i thought that i would just get hand clamp brakes and mount them to my bike however they would need to be mounted via welding which i do not have access to. it would also require me to purchase new rear rim and the brakes etc just more money.

my other concern is that if i keep the coaster brakes it looks like they will be touching the sprocket which makes me worried due to all the friction that will be caused from the metal on metal contact.

basically what woould you all reccomend to someone like me a first time builder to do to get this thing running safely and reliably???

Thank you very much in advance i look forwarrd to your replies and getting this thing running..duh..duh.

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia
You can run the coaster brake just add side pull brakes, most bikes have the holes anyway. I built a o/p cruiser and still use the brake, the arm comes close to the bolts but does not hit. You can buy a dual pull lever for the right side handle, saw one at SBP.

camrahtz

Jun 30, 2011
california
common some help please. should i just rock the coaster brakes or replace them with another set up? and if so with what set up and how? any help is appreciated.

Salty Gator

Aug 3, 2009
Florida
Like I said you can run the coaster brake just add side pulls to help, I would not dissable the coaster because you need all the stoping power you can get. Tektro 984 BMX Rear Brake Sidepull Freestyle 984AR Blk | eBay like this will work.

I concur on retaining the coaster brake and also concur on the Tektro side pulls....I installed them on my Black Dog and they STOP !....They also are wide enough to fit around fenders without having to crimp them....best thing I have done for it ....

Salty.shft.

camrahtz

Jun 30, 2011
california
^^^^really? even to ,my macargi stealth? so i think the axle is slightly bent. what to do now? im ordering new brakes hopefully front and rear as well as thinking of getting new rear tire without coaster brakes is this a good idea?