Chain roller position?

GoldenMotor.com

ezheimers

Jan 2, 2011
Left Coast
Looking at all the pictures I can before I begin to put things together...... Note that some put the chain roller on the 415 chain side? Others are putting the roller on the bicycle chain side? What are the thots as to advantages one way or the other? Why on the peddle side? Why on the 415 chain? Thanking you all in advance............ -EZ Seattle area

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
I'm not quite following your question. The #415 chain that comes with most engine kits goes on the left side. It is the drive chain from the engine to the rear sprocket.

If you're talking about the chain tensioner...oh wow. There is about three days worth of reading here on that subject. Use the search feature at the top of the page, type in 'tensioner' and get ready to see what all the options are for that device. You'll see people who swear you need it, people who swear you don't and every option between those opinions. Way too many threads to link here. Try the 'search' and if you can't find an answer, come back, we'll help.
To get you started, click here>
http://www.google.com/cse?cx=partne...cling.com/f3/chain-roller-position-26880.html

Tom

ezheimers

Jan 2, 2011
Left Coast
My searching - Notta about what I'm asking........
What my question is: Why are some builders putting the tensioner over on the small peddle chain (right side) ...instead of on the left side motor (415) chain? Some use no tensioner on the motor chain? Some do? What is the advantage one way or the other??????? -EZ

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
Many of us believe that it's better (& looks better) to not have any tensioner on the bike. But it's harder to make both chains the exact right size; so some have put it on the pedal side to make adjusting it easier.
I've done it on a few bikes in my early days, but now I prefer no tensioner at all.

Russell

Apr 19, 2009
MA
IMO
If you can use no tensioner all the better. However some builds need a tensioneron the drive side (415) just to clear the frame. If this is the situation then that is all you need to have both chains (415 & bicycle) the proper length.

However if your drive (415) chain can be run with no frame interfearence problems, seldom will both chains be the proper length. Even if they do initaly as the drive chain settles into it's natural strech they will no longer match exactly.

So putting a tensioner on the chainring side you have some adjustment . Putting it on the this side, it sees virtualy no load and causes no problems. If you have a multi speed bicycle the derailure preforms the same function.

Last edited:

ezheimers

Jan 2, 2011
Left Coast
Aaah... The picture is starting to come to me. I would think the ideal solution would be to run without a tensioner if at all possible???? Interesting???????????/ -EZ