Hub Brake Vs. V-Brake

GoldenMotor.com

ncsubiker

Sep 3, 2010
Raleigh, NC
I am a expierienced mountainbiker (used to v-brakes) but new to this whole deal and am in the process of picking out a bike for my engine. I want a cruiser, but cannot find one with v-brakes for a price I can afford. The hub brakes seem like they would not do as good of a job at stopping the bike as the front and rear v-brakes. Also I am not sure about the wear of the hub brakes. I guess it really comes down to I do not know much about the hub type of brakes. Anyone have any info or reccomendations?? Anyone had any problems about the hub brake going out or making the bike hard to stop?
Thanks!!

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
Welcome to the forum, you've come to the right place! By hub brake I assume you are referring to a drum type brake, similar to the older motorcycle type, rather than a disc brake which mounts to a hub?

If this is the case, the drum front brakes are fairly powerful stoppers, about as good as a V-brake upfront. For the rear, your not likely to find a drum brake per se.....a band brake yes, but I feel a V-brake is a bit more powerful for stopping and better yet is a disc brake. Coaster brakes I find a bit touchy as they really don't have much modulation in that they lock-up and skid, and that can be exciting to say the least.

I personally like disc, V and drum brakes, but some times you are limited by frame bosses, front fork type, cost and the ability too fabricate. One thing's for sure, you need a lot more stopping power on a motorized bicycle than you do on a pedal only bike.

Here's what I prefer up front, it's a disc and a V-brake controlled by a single (double-pull) lever:

On an aluminum framed beach cruiser with a 49cc 4-stroke motor....

donutguy

Feb 4, 2010
PA
I've never seen anything like that before. I run Avid cable discs on my mountain bike....how do you have the brakes set up/ Does the V brake engage first or the disc engage first?

At any rate- you'll never run out of front brake.

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
With that small of a front rotor I bet it helps. I love the Avid bb7's I run the biggest rotors they make and it perfect.

r00t4rd3d

Aug 2, 2010
Internet
Just get a cruiser with a coaster brake and slap a hand brake on it. I know with Huffy bikes you can use the fender mounting holes to bolt one right up.

I own a Huffy and all I got is a coaster brake and I think its more then enough stopping power. I dont ride around as fast as I can go though either.

:)

Last edited:

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
You know there's gotta be reason why all the true motorcycles I have seen don't use rim brakes. Just saying.

taddthewadd

Mar 1, 2009
Visalia, California
scotto, I think he was referring to a coaster brake since he said it was a cheap bike. Ncsubiker if that is true and you meant a coaster brake then here is my advice. Step up to the schwinn mentioned above for 149. It has v-brakes. Relying on just a coaster brake is an accident waiting to happen. Coaster brakes are barely strong enough to stop you without a motor at say 10 mph let alone a motorized bike doing 25-30 mph.

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona

scotto-

Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
I've never seen anything like that before. I run Avid cable discs on my mountain bike....how do you have the brakes set up/ Does the V brake engage first or the disc engage first?

At any rate- you'll never run out of front brake.
They pretty much modulate simutaneously, you can dial it in however you want to. It truly works great, powerful and controllable.

ncsubiker

Sep 3, 2010
Raleigh, NC
scotto, I think he was referring to a coaster brake since he said it was a cheap bike.
I was reffering to the coaster brake, thanks for all the good advice. I was weary of doing 30+ and not being able to stop, especially if the road is wet. I think I am going to either mount a v-brake on the front of a coaster brake bike, or just go with the more expensive all v-brake model. Guess when it comes to safety its better to not skimp on the brakes.

Thanks!!!

scotto-

Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
I was reffering to the coaster brake, thanks for all the good advice. I was weary of doing 30+ and not being able to stop, especially if the road is wet. I think I am going to either mount a v-brake on the front of a coaster brake bike, or just go with the more expensive all v-brake model. Guess when it comes to safety its better to not skimp on the brakes.

Thanks!!!
Man, you got that right! Cheers to your new MB!

chainmaker

Jan 19, 2010
Ma USA
Go with the better bike with the post mount brakes You'll probabally want to upgrade from a coaster brake at some point and You'll save a bunch of money and aggravation if you buy em up front already installed on the frame..besides You also get a multi -speed which will allow you to get a shift kit later on. I tried to add these upgrades on My cruiser Build... wasted good chunk of money and time with poor results now Im going to rebuild it this winter with a frame with the rear bosses and multi-speed....Just My 2 pesos

Cheersdnut

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
I have a worksman front drum brake wheel. The thing is awesome. Stout and cool looking but I refer to it as an anti-lock brake. Will never throw ya over the front wheel. I really keep an eye out for the rear side pull brake. Is the only thing with emergency stopping power on my bike. But I find that works for me.