A Cops perspective....

GoldenMotor.com

Gareth

Dec 8, 2009
Floriduh
Back somewhat on topic...

In general, there are far more "good" cops than bad. The bad usually fall into two categories IMHO.

First are the young and gun ho...really not much to be done, they will mellow and learn their priorities.

Then there are the true a-holes.

The career of law enforcement is not immune to the small percentage of A-holes who comprise the general make up of society. In fact, the thrill of power may very well attract such like moths to a flame.

Fortunately, most will not make it through the hiring process and have the fortitude to actually achieve their goal. If they do achieve such status, they will likely find few friends amongst their peers.

There are, of course, exceptions. Attitudes and priorities tend to trickle down in any group or business, and the police are also not immune to the influence good or bad of leadership. Good leadership goes a long way towards professionalism. Professionalism goes a long ways towards public perception.

In the end, one must try and remember that the person standing there with the glock on his hip and shiny badge on his chest is only human with all of our fallibilities. He is tasked with enforcing the laws, which we as society have allowed to be passed. He did not create the laws, and unless he is one of the small percentage of truly bad officers he is likely not violating them.

Your attitude during the encounter will likely influence his attitude. There are places to argue the validity of the laws, and process to change the laws. The edge of the road is not the time or place for either.

Of course, if and when you do encounter a "bad" cop, it is extremely important to stay composed. Be the bigger man than the leering jackhole in front of you. He has the power to make your life ****...which is what leads to resentment against police in general. One bad encounter can leave a sour taste which takes years to fade in memory.

The phrase you may beat the charge, but you can't beat the ride...is quite true. After you spend a few hours at a police station, then pay for your impound and storage fee's...which you can never recover, you tend to not forget. Sure, the confidence that you had done nothing wrong, and the smugness in which you pushed his buttons right back might have felt good at the time....but it's a game he will ultimately win.

hambro

Dec 22, 2009
Alabama
I honestly didn't think this thread would be this popular. I have been a member here for a few months and I have read many post where guys have run into bad cops or like gareth said "jackholes" and I just wanted you guys to know that at least one cop sees things from your perspective. I may not be able to influence the entire world but at least in my county all the deputies that work at our department and most of the local police officers that work in the municipality know that I make and sometimes sell these bikes. I have spoken with most of them in regards to their "lack of legality" and the general consensus among them is the same as what I stated in the first post on this thread. Crap stinks when you stir it up. These guys know that the bikes are not legal here but they won't mess with anyone thats not flirting with disaster in the first place. I'm just tryin to do my part for our love of these darned things. Take care guys and thanks for all of your support and I will continue to support you and this hobby for ever.

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
If you ever get tired of the hot summers down that way and wish to relocate to a new cop shop, may I suggest Ely, MN. Good fishing, lots of elbow room and crappy winters.
SB

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
Garth, wish I'd stayed home wrapped up in bubble wrap. Wheel chair is up stairs over the garage because I refuse to use it.

Getting around with a cane is not a lot of fun either but you get used to it.
If you have a cool looking, handmade cane, a lot of ladies want to stop and talk about it.

Little blue wheelchair tag in the window gets you prefered parking if some clown that doesn't need it hasn't parked there first. Price you have to pay to get it is pretty high

I can work on my bike for about 5hrs a day, then it takes me 2 days to recover.

I'm not bitter either but I sure don't want to look over and see you've joined this little parade?

Now back to our regular program.

Steve.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Hambro, great thread! I have for the last few years wanted to ask a peace officer to start one or just say how they felt. With all the negative stuff said about cops, took some courage and I applaud you. In my younger yrs, I was a dope and got arrested I dunno how many times. The cops were always great. I Done some thing dumb, they had no choice and we all did our part. The one time I ran in to a real "Barny" I asked that he conduct him self as a professional. He did. All about respect, give it, get it.

Really, really enjoyed this thread Hambro. Not just about MBs or helmets or any thing. Is good to know

.flg.

hambro

Dec 22, 2009
Alabama
Thanks Dan, that means a lot to me. As a matter of fact all of you guys have made my day. I honestly expected to be thrashed when I started this thread because so many people have had their run ins with the police and they are bitter from it in the end. I am a big guy and I'm a pro active police officer when it comes to things like meth, crack, and prescription medication abuse. I smoked a little marijuana when I was a lot younger and don't put as much emphasis and importance on people who just happen to have a very small amount of it on them, especially if they are honest with me about it. I can tell you guys that I work for the sheriff's office which is a political office so we don't have things like traffic citation quota's. As a matter of fact, usually the sheriff in a county is against his deputies writing too many tickets because every ticket written is a vote lost in his mind. Therefore I don't go crazy writing tickets. As a matter of fact I wrote three traffic citations in April, but I wrote 122 written warnings and probably gave another 50 verbal warnings. I believe in giving people a break especially honest, hard working, good people who weren't doing anything that I haven't done myself, like rolling through a stop sign, speeding a little or forgetting a turn signal every now and then. I can't stand hypocrits and I refuse to be one. Thanks again guys, YOU ARE MY PEOPLE.

Hambro.

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
Hambro, I've been pretty busy on this thread since you started it. As I said a local cop gave me the Fast Eddy nickname for drag racing.
The truth is that they caught my main opponent and I doing 90 in a 30mph zone. As I sat there thinking about the next 2 years I'd be walking after I got out after the 6 months I'd be doing in jail, the cops face showed up in my window took one look at me and said "if it isn't Fast Eddy" and then he proceded to rip me a new and well deserved second AH.
He informed me he was tired of taking little {fill in the words} out of thier cars after the wreck and having to go home and deal with the parents. That stayed with me for some reason. Last time I went racing.
We both got tickets for 10 miles over the limit and no points. That act of kindness and the reaming worked for both of us.
In Canada that would have been a criminal record and put a hurt on our lives forever.

I took the new lease on life and settled down. My respect for the police only grew bigger when I was a volunteer fire fighter.
Where would our life be without them?

Steve.

rockhopper

Mar 20, 2010
Phoenix, AZ
Garth, wish I'd stayed home wrapped up in bubble wrap. Wheel chair is up stairs over the garage because I refuse to use it.

Getting around with a cane is not a lot of fun either but you get used to it.
If you have a cool looking, handmade cane, a lot of ladies want to stop and talk about it.

Little blue wheelchair tag in the window gets you prefered parking if some clown that doesn't need it hasn't parked there first. Price you have to pay to get it is pretty high

I can work on my bike for about 5hrs a day, then it takes me 2 days to recover.

I'm not bitter either but I sure don't want to look over and see you've joined this little parade?

Now back to our regular program.

Steve.
Exactly this.

rockhopper

Mar 20, 2010
Phoenix, AZ
You push the limits, you find the limits.

I used to push the limits quite a bit when I was young.

I found them from time to time.

I rode motorcycles year round for several years in NY. Snow, ice, rain or shine.

I'm happy for you the world has bubble wrapped itself and concocted all the taxes on personal liberty.

Wear whatever protective equipment you feel necessary to enjoy your toy.

Better yet, stay in your house...you will be even safer there.
=-)
Hi Gareth:

You know I agree with you on your basic premise. But I have a problem with any MC rider denigrating or deriding another rider who chooses to gear up. That's just not cool at all.

Watch this and then tell me the first guy that crashed was a poser for wearing a helmet. Because that's the inference I'm getting from you. LiveLeak.com - Nasty bike crash

His brain would have been smashed flatter than hammered sh** if he had not been wearing his helmet. In fact, I'm sure he would have also liked some good gloves, etc, etc.

Last edited:

hambro

Dec 22, 2009
Alabama
Dang rock, looked like that one bike landed right on his head as he was flippin over, it may have hit him right in the face if you look closely at it. Even my helmet wouldn't have helped me on that one. I did put a guy in a bag once that fell of off his bike at 35 miles per hour and he was wearing a helmet with no face shield. He hit his face on the pavement and crushed his skull that way. It was in the middle of July here in humid alabama and I got there ten minutes after he crashed and the ants were already trying to eat his brains on the side of the shoulder. I never did figure out how he lost it at 35 mph and they said he was an experienced rider. Like Gareth said I guess when it's your time its your time but I ain't doin anything extra to make my time come sooner.

rockhopper

Mar 20, 2010
Phoenix, AZ
Dang rock, looked like that one bike landed right on his head as he was flippin over, it may have hit him right in the face if you look closely at it. Even my helmet wouldn't have helped me on that one. I did put a guy in a bag once that fell of off his bike at 35 miles per hour and he was wearing a helmet with no face shield. He hit his face on the pavement and crushed his skull that way. It was in the middle of July here in humid alabama and I got there ten minutes after he crashed and the ants were already trying to eat his brains on the side of the shoulder. I never did figure out how he lost it at 35 mph and they said he was an experienced rider. Like Gareth said I guess when it's your time its your time but I ain't doin anything extra to make my time come sooner.
That was an 800+ lb bike that bounced off his noggin. Watch his hands and arms go down throughout the ordeal. Just imagine the world of hurt that guy is in.

And most importantly, what are the odds of a seagull with human empathy flying overhead at the exact moment of the crash while it is being filmed.

Wild stuff.

hambro

Dec 22, 2009
Alabama
You ever had a factory kit intake where the carb just wouldn't stay on it no matter how much you tightened the clamp. I've used the stock clamp, I've used a high dollar hose clamp and the dang carb just wont stay on it. Can't wait for the billet intake to get here. Sorry, that probably should have been posted in a different thread.

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
While you wait for the new intake, what about some kind of spacer? I would think that one wrapping of emery cloth would give it something to bite in to and make it more snug. Not that I've done that or had the need. Just a thought.
SB

longhair

Mar 24, 2009
eagle rock
We live down here in L.A and ride in Burbank, North Hollywood, Pasadena, and venice Beach area... and I must say after ridin MBs and harleys for the past decade, the Police in all those towns are totally fair and cool. If you wear a helmut and abide by the law, all they do is wave and ask questions. I'm sure they have plenty to deal with already anyways'. Keep up the good work Hambro.

civlized

Apr 28, 2009
Alabama
Hi Gareth:

You know I agree with you on your basic premise. But I have a problem with any MC rider denigrating or deriding another rider who chooses to gear up. That's just not cool all.
I had to give this one a rest for a while, sorry about bringing this back up, but I must say that while I agree completely with your statement here, rockhopper, I think no one should be bashed for their choice, either way. Seems like a bunch of guys tackled Gareth for his opening statement to start the whole sidewind this thread took. It's just personal preference and a choice that a lot don't see eye to eye on, such as politics and religion. Best not brought up unless you really want to talk about it.

Hambro, good thread. Sounds like you are shocked to see that most don't hate cops. I think most hate the cops that feel above the law, which you clearly don't seem to be that guy.

hambro

Dec 22, 2009
Alabama
Thanks for the tip silverbear, I'll give that a try after dinner tonight and I agree with you in part civilized about gareth. He's stating his opinion which he's entitled to like everyone else. Only problem I had was the "stay the **** out of my life" part but even that didn't bother me too much. I've developed pretty tough skin doing what I do for a living so mostly I just let that kind of thing slide right off of me. However, as I said, if you post in a public forum you're opening yourself up to public criticism which is why I thought I'd get bashed to heck when I started this thread. What a pleasant surprise to see how many guys here actually supported and applauded my outlook on these bikes and how they can contrast with my job.

Gareth

Dec 8, 2009
Floriduh
Have you tried using a fuel resistant sealant? It may not work but if it is close it will help. as well as adding extra sealing properties.

You can also add knurling to the intake which will raise the surface and provide some tooth. This added to the sealant can help.

If the intake is the aluminum kind you can roll it over a file while pressing to knurl it. On the steel kind you may have to get more creative.

Gareth

Dec 8, 2009
Floriduh
Only problem I had was the "stay the **** out of my life" part but even that didn't bother me too much.
Sorry, I really have a problem with nanny state mentalities. It saddens me to see the degradations of freedoms based on laws passed for our own good. "There outta be a law" mentality has perpetuated the growth of government to the point of stifling the citizens it is protecting.

I enjoy riding bicycles without helmets. I have always done that. I wear a helmet on motorcycles of my own volition, and I am happy that I live in a state where that choice is mine to make.

The hypocrisy is that whenever you take away a freedom that affects someone personally, they are upset...if it doesn't they are happy in their victory. We have forged our shackles bill by bill, law by law.

For the children.

We live in an age where a cap gun is seen as an act of terror. A child playing without protective gear is seen as abuse. A bump bruise or burn is no longer a life lesson in care and responsibility, but an opportunity for fiscal gain.

I do not begrudge those who wear protective equipment. Indeed, I have levels of gear I wear depending on the risk I am taking. I select the risk I am comfortable with. Everyone is free, or should be free, to set their own limits of risk vs reward in life. Use whatever gear makes you comfortable with the risk.

People can and do die from falls without any speed involved.

I have a friend who tripped on his sidewalk and shattered his hip.

Perhaps the government should regulate fully body armor whenever we are awake.

At what point is it too much? At what level of intrusion do you say it has gone too far? Just keep increasing the water temp slowly and the frog never notices.

I have lost friends from riding. I have a friend in a wheelchair as well from an accident on a FJ1200 in the 90's.

I respect the risks.

I have a machine with better handling and braking than a large majority of the people on this forum. I, personally, would never ride half the coaster brake rattle traps that people ride, helmet or no....but I don't begrudge them their choices and the risk level they have chosen to accept. Freedom involves the ability to make bad choices as well as good.

YMMV.

hambro

Dec 22, 2009
Alabama
I did in fact use a fuel resistant sealant on the intake tube but the sucker still slips. I'll try what you said also gareth and knurl the thing up and give it some bite. It almost seems like this intake is defective, like it's just way too small, never had one like this one before. None of it'll matter once my billet intake is here but still I'd like to know I solved the problem regardless.

rockhopper

Mar 20, 2010
Phoenix, AZ
Sorry, I really have a problem with nanny state mentalities. It saddens me to see the degradations of freedoms based on laws passed for our own good. "There outta be a law" mentality has perpetuated the growth of government to the point of stifling the citizens it is protecting.

I enjoy riding bicycles without helmets. I have always done that. I wear a helmet on motorcycles of my own volition, and I am happy that I live in a state where that choice is mine to make.

The hypocrisy is that whenever you take away a freedom that affects someone personally, they are upset...if it doesn't they are happy in their victory. We have forged our shackles bill by bill, law by law.

For the children.

We live in an age where a cap gun is seen as an act of terror. A child playing without protective gear is seen as abuse. A bump bruise or burn is no longer a life lesson in care and responsibility, but an opportunity for fiscal gain.

I do not begrudge those who wear protective equipment. Indeed, I have levels of gear I wear depending on the risk I am taking. I select the risk I am comfortable with. Everyone is free, or should be free, to set their own limits of risk vs reward in life. Use whatever gear makes you comfortable with the risk.

People can and do die from falls without any speed involved.

I have a friend who tripped on his sidewalk and shattered his hip.

Perhaps the government should regulate fully body armor whenever we are awake.

At what point is it too much? At what level of intrusion do you say it has gone too far? Just keep increasing the water temp slowly and the frog never notices.

I have lost friends from riding. I have a friend in a wheelchair as well from an accident on a FJ1200 in the 90's.

I respect the risks.

I have a machine with better handling and braking than a large majority of the people on this forum. I, personally, would never ride half the coaster brake rattle traps that people ride, helmet or no....but I don't begrudge them their choices and the risk level they have chosen to accept. Freedom involves the ability to make bad choices as well as good.

YMMV.
Agreed.

.shft.