What kind of lights are you using?

GoldenMotor.com

Nomad

Aug 4, 2008
U.S.A.
My bike has a front and rear light that are both powered by the white wire. I installed a toggle switch within the wiring so the lights are optional. My lights came from a bicycle generator system of the 1970's. They perform well. I have since considered a small battery to feed the lights and then feed the battery via the white wire.
I have the exact same setup on my bike, but the lights stopped working, and I haven't been able to figure out why... the engine runs fine but when I connect the lights they "kill" the engine.... how long have you been using yours?...

sofasurferlinux

Jun 24, 2009
Davison, Mi
When the law requires lighting, does that lighting need to operate day and night for the head light and tail light?
Does lighting need to operate even when bike is stopped? In other words, can I use a bicycle generator that stops energizing when the bike is not in motion?

happycheapskate

Nov 26, 2009
Rockwall TX
If you drive a vehicle at work or have access to a large vehicle, you can just put the battery in the floorboard and plug it in the cig lighter with a 30amp fuse inline. I do this to 7ah SLA batteries for a night helmet light.

I like this setup , I need to find a battery too do you remember the part# for the battery you got? You just charge it up whenever it gets low with a regular 12volt battery charger?

Sparks66

Nov 4, 2009
San Jose, Ca
I had a cateye led head light that cost about 30 bucks. Unsatisfied, I purchased a cygolite milion 200 for about 100 bucks. I know it costs a bit more but the amount of light it puts out is well worth is especially since avoiding things like potholes and such is a lot easier. I purchased mine at REI. REI - Gear, Equipment and Clothing for a Lifetime of Outdoor Adventure and Stewardship.
There are many lights like this that put out the same amount of light for 300 bucks. This one can be rechared through your laptop via the usb port. Personally, I think it is a great purchase.

xlite

Jun 18, 2009
ny,ny
Im looking into some lights front and rear. I've seen a few at Wal-Mart for about $20 bucks and the ones at the cycle shop are at about $30+. Any suggestions on what you guys are using? I saw a post on some 9 led flash lights from Harbor freight, which i saw for $3.99, but are they putting enough light out?

Thanks
After trying them all I'm convinced running off the white wire, lead acid batteries, or tire generators are impractical long term solutions. A 50-100 LED Dealextreme headlight powered by NiMh AAs gives more light and 6-7 hours between recharge. NiZn cells provide significantly brighter output but shorter LED life. For the rear I use standard 3-4 LED red bike safety light.

Kevron99

Aug 11, 2009
Howell, New Jersey
I have the exact same setup on my bike, but the lights stopped working, and I haven't been able to figure out why... the engine runs fine but when I connect the lights they "kill" the engine.... how long have you been using yours?...
bring the gaps on your plugs closer to 0.18 it should fix your problem

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
i just ordered one of these Maxxon brake lights: Wireless Bicycle Brake Light for Mountain Bikes, City Bike Carriers, and Dynamo Bicycles

an inertia sensored, Nintendo/Wii technology, 2007 Taiwan Innovative Prize Winner, burble burble burble...

looks like a really cool tail/brakelight with no external wires whatsoever. looks small enough to hide under my seat, or in the duck-tail of my fender.

i don't want wires or sensors or any extra crap anywhere on my bike, and since i ride in the road with traffic at 40+, i figured this would be the hot set-up.

for the front, i dunno, i gotta make something...

(edit: it was only $30 total on ebay, not the 50 on the website...)

Last edited:

happycheapskate

Nov 26, 2009
Rockwall TX
I am waiting for a Normans Light kit too.

You tinkerers ought to figure out how to use cheap pressure switches (like for laser sights etc) on the v brake levers, for brake lights.

I am using a Schwinn/Walmart 3LED flasher/light right now, with a 12v light also. It was $15 and is surprisingly bright! It saved my ride to work when the other battery went dead/brown. Buy one of these. Its good and doubles as a hand held flashlight or ground "flare".