mph issue

GoldenMotor.com

Randog707

Oct 18, 2009
Fairfield,ca
Hi all,I have a little problem.My bike runs great up to 22mph,but when I hit the 23/24mph mark my bike starts surging,the speed will jump up for a sec then back down.It wont go faster then 24mph.even if i go down a step hill at the 24mph mark it starts acting funny.is this called bogging?is my engine running to lean or rich?what do I do to fix this.thanks for all your info guys.Randy

fall_down_stand_up

Apr 26, 2009
granbury
I have been having a simular problem....I get upto 24 or so and it acts like its only getting half throttle or not getting good spark....I have put 3 different carbs on it,changed the throttle out twice(I have lots of spare parts laying around).....the engine has 350 miles on it know so it should be broke in by know.....When I go down hills or a flat roads with a slight downward grade it will pick up speed....It just acts like its not getting full throttle....One more thing,It idles great and the sparkplug is not running lean....
John-John
P.S Randog707 if that is you in the aviator pictures I can see why your only getting a top speed of 24mph lol

Tcams

Oct 18, 2009
Tucson, ZonieLand
I got my cranbrook tops at 25 at full throttle for a few seconds. I also wanna know what I can do to add a few more mph. I was thinking about a ported billet intake from piratecycles and a cns carb. Would this be a step to increasing mph as well as air flow??

Randog707

Oct 18, 2009
Fairfield,ca
If that was me in the avatar,I would be happy to get 10mph...lol...i'm a 200 pound guy.I've read other posts where they said to tighten up the motor mounts to keep the carb from viberating so much,I guess if the carb viberates too much it messes with the gas flow,and makes the bike surge up and down at top speed.I'll give it a try out tomorow and let you know if it helps,thanks for the replys guys.Randy

fall_down_stand_up

Apr 26, 2009
granbury
I got my cranbrook tops at 25 at full throttle for a few seconds. I also wanna know what I can do to add a few more mph. I was thinking about a ported billet intake from piratecycles and a cns carb. Would this be a step to increasing mph as well as air flow??
Im wanting to buy the CNS carb as well but they are out of stock for another couple of weeks....I have had 5 engines over the years and this is the first time I have experienced this problem....Could just be the engine....

fall_down_stand_up

Apr 26, 2009
granbury
If that was me in the avatar,I would be happy to get 10mph...lol...i'm a 200 pound guy.I've read other posts where they said to tighten up the motor mounts to keep the carb from viberating so much,I guess if the carb viberates too much it messes with the gas flow,and makes the bike surge up and down at top speed.I'll give it a try out tomorow and let you know if it helps,thanks for the replys guys.Randy
Let me know if that mount trick works....Never had that problem and I have had mounts come loose and had to retighten them....Mabe it will work thought....Keep me posted....
John-John

Nashville Kat

Apr 20, 2009
Jacksonville, Florida
A few small holes drilled through the air cleaner cover helps air flow w/out exposing engine too much. A 36 sprocket bigger gear helps the cruise speed- that wide open throttle seems to be elusive for most people not changing carbs around- the new NTS carb at spooky and pistonbikes is promising, and cheaper than the "racing carb"

Got a HUGE surge just changing tires from heavy knobby cruiser tires to smooth 26 x 1.75- only 10 dollars each too, and the even put a 27 " wheel on the front- the rolling resistence is INCREDIBLY less, and the weight is too.lowriderl

Attachments

Randog707

Oct 18, 2009
Fairfield,ca
yeah spooky tooth has a cns carb for 50 bucks,but hes been out of stock for a few weeks now.I plan on buying one when they come back in stock.hopefully that will improve my proformance.thanks for the reply John.

Randog707

Oct 18, 2009
Fairfield,ca
thanks for the info Nashville Kat,I've been planning on changing out my knobby mb tire,for a smoother tread style.will pick up a pair tomorow,and post back on how they ride.thanks Randy

fall_down_stand_up

Apr 26, 2009
granbury
So are you going to Dew up the spaceliner or what??
dnut
I do believe I am....I have the 2 Raw engines that came in a couple of weeks ago,so all I need now is the
1.springer fork 40 dollors
2.heavy guage rear rim 40 dollors
3.new chain 8 dollors
4.Thinking ape hangers 15 dollors
5.2 new tires 30 dollors
6.heavy duty tubes 20 dollors
7,headlight and tail light 15 dollors
8.chrome fenders35 dollors
9.speedometer 20 dollors
10.Seat 20 dollors
It will be around 225 dollors total....
So what do you think,is it worth putting the money into????
First thing is I need to make sure I can get the light rust off it....Someone said 7up works,but there has to be something better....
Any help would be appriciated on a place to buy all the things I need if it will help me save some money.....If I can get most of the stuff from one place it will save on shipping....
John-John
Here is a pic of the bike again,look at it closely and tell me what you think....The basket will be gone along with the forks so it will have a totally different look....

Attachments

fall_down_stand_up

Apr 26, 2009
granbury
A few small holes drilled through the air cleaner cover helps air flow w/out exposing engine too much. A 36 sprocket bigger gear helps the cruise speed- that wide open throttle seems to be elusive for most people not changing carbs around- the new NTS carb at spooky and pistonbikes is promising, and cheaper than the "racing carb"

Got a HUGE surge just changing tires from heavy knobby cruiser tires to smooth 26 x 1.75- only 10 dollars each too, and the even put a 27 " wheel on the front- the rolling resistence is INCREDIBLY less, and the weight is too.lowriderl
I will drill a few holes on the back side of the carb and see if that helps,but this is the 3rd carb I put on it(have lots of extra parts laying around)and it still acts the same....What is strange is it will come alive every know and then and get up to around 29 or 30mph....I cant choke it at all so you may be right on not getting enough air flow.....
John-John

Tcams

Oct 18, 2009
Tucson, ZonieLand
That bike is so sweet man. Make sure the bike is strong enough to hold an engine, I would take it for a rough ride around the block to see if it will hold up (im sure it will). If it holds up than It is defiantly worth putting money into. Make it shine and make it unique.

BikepartsUSA.com - Your Online Bicycle Parts Superstore

Ive herd good things about this place if your looking to buy to save on shipping. They also have just about everything.

Take pics of your progress!

Also. Im gonna try and drill some holes in my carby to. but where at. Near the screws or what???

Last edited:

fall_down_stand_up

Apr 26, 2009
granbury
That bike is so sweet man. Make sure the bike is strong enough to hold an engine, I would take it for a rough ride around the block to see if it will hold up (im sure it will). If it holds up than It is defiantly worth putting money into. Make it shine and make it unique.

BikepartsUSA.com - Your Online Bicycle Parts Superstore

Ive herd good things about this place if your looking to buy to save on shipping. They also have just about everything.

Take pics of your progress!
Thanks for the kind words on my spaceliner....What do you think about some short ape hangers????I think it will give it a cool look....

Tcams

Oct 18, 2009
Tucson, ZonieLand
Go for it!! Bending the seat post would also give it a cool look as well. Also where should I drill hole in the back on the carb, near the screws?? I dont wanna @#$^ it up because I dont have any spare parts.

fall_down_stand_up

Apr 26, 2009
granbury
Go for it!! Bending the seat post would also give it a cool look as well. Also where should I drill hole in the back on the carb, near the screws?? I dont wanna @#$^ it up because I dont have any spare parts.
To make sure you get it right ask Nahsville Kat....This is what im going to do thought....Take the air cleaner off,remove the filter and drill a few holes a little larger than a pencil lead....I have probley 10 carbs laying around so if I get it wrong the first time I can do it again....I will also drill the holes at a angle(upward)so that way if it is raining out no water can run down into the holes....

Randog707

Oct 18, 2009
Fairfield,ca
good idea on drilling at an upward angle,rain in the carb not a good thing.I'll do the same thing John.my bike to do list just got a little bigger for tomorow.Randy

Tcams

Oct 18, 2009
Tucson, ZonieLand
Ok so I drilled a few holes in the back of my carb. My bike has quicker response but I dont know if its from the holes or the motor is finally broken in. Either way im stoked..

Thanks for the tip nashville

Nashville Kat

Apr 20, 2009
Jacksonville, Florida
I guarantee you'l notice it immediately- but do one thing, take both of the cruiser tires off first and holdthem in one hand and then hold the smoother narrow tires in the other-

the most difference is in the roll, but there's a lot of weight loss to be gained with other tires- cruiser tires are designed to ride on the beach without sinking in.

Attachments

Tcams

Oct 18, 2009
Tucson, ZonieLand
I guarantee you'l notice it immediately- but do one thing, take both of the cruiser tires off first and holdthem in one hand and then hold the smoother narrow tires in the other-

the most difference is in the roll, but there's a lot of weight loss to be gained with other tires- cruiser tires are designed to ride on the beach without sinking in.
I dont have any other set of tires. Just the ones on my bike. Do you recommend getting thinner tires. I planned on getting a HD back rim. I might just go with the thinner tire in the front. If I do get a thinner tire do I have to get thinner rim as well???