Are pullstarts as useful as they seem?

GoldenMotor.com

LocustsOfSteel

Apr 23, 2008
I'm new here, so hello everyone!

I guess i'll start by laying it out... I'm poor, and i need EXTREMELY LOW COST transportation:rolleyes:, I just received my tax return checks, so I'm about to purchase an 80cc kit from ebay for less than $200 and install it on my diamondback response, It seems to include everything but a pull start... and the pull starts on eBay are like $30 - 35 (kind of unreasonable for a very simple part if you ask me lol:eek:).
So, i was wondering if any of you have an extra that they can sell me?

P.S. Is a pull start even slightly necessary?

Ilikeabikea

Jan 27, 2008
Ptown, Texas
You really don't need a pull start. Just start peddaling the bike and let off the clutch. Thats how a lot of us do it. Welcome to the forum. You'll find lots of Motor bicycle enthusiasts here. Rich and poor...................

paul

Dec 23, 2007
Kalamazoo, MI
Re: Are pull starts as useful as they seem?

i personally would not waste the money on a pull start. just pedal a few feet and pop the clutch and off you go. i guess its personal preference but i would use the 30.00 for something else. glad to have you with us and welcome to the forum :ride2:

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Welcome- forget the pullstart!

Have you bought the kit yet?

Have a look at the 70cc kits- that's really what they all are anyway!

LocustsOfSteel

Apr 23, 2008
Auction ends in half an hour... then I should receive it like less than 2 weeks.

And as far as the 70cc, it seems to cost about the same as the 80... I was going to get the 60cc for that $cheapy$cheap$... but i wanted more, so i set my sights on that 80cc.

LocustsOfSteel

Apr 23, 2008
Well, for better or worse, i was the highest bider... And all i paid was $175.21 including shipping(^).

Thanks for everything everyone!(p)

Next step... get a bike trailer so i can haul home groceries in style lol

Last edited:

LocustsOfSteel

Apr 23, 2008
That's a good price. What was the sellers fleabay name?
I got mine from "powerkingshop", they are receiving a bulk order on the 28'th, thus i pre-ordered so they don't have to pay to store a surplus of these things.

There are so many sellers with this item, that most times, it doesn't even matter who's selling it. Really, it was both luck, and eBay knowhow...

The trick is to watch 2 auctions (NOT "buy it now") of the same type of product, so you know how much average bidders are willing to pay (including shipping).

Then watch another of the same product and only bid during the last 10 seconds of the auction so the other people who are bidding don't have a chance to see you coming... With luck and diligent timing it'll work out in your favor :ride2:.

Bikeguy Joe

Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Or just bid on one from that'sdax...I paid well under that for all three of mine.

It DOES matter who you buy from if you encounter any problems down the road.

Bid sniping doesn't really work too well, since everybody tries it. You have an item that's 122.50 and in the last 10 seconds everybody bids what they are willing to pay and the highest bidder gets the item, for 200 bucks!

Bikeguy Joe

Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Yeah, I see the price is steadily climbing for all sellers.

Just be careful who you buy from, I've read a LOT of bull from a lot of sellers on ebay lately.

"precision made" "super quality" "our are better than the rest!"

One guy is even selling them mounted on a moondog for 600 and saying they are the Harley Davidson of motorized bikes~!

Pablo

Master Bike Builder & Forum Sponsor
Dec 28, 2007
Duvall, WA PNW
www.sickbikeparts.com
I've come to the same conclusion. The engines all have defects, it's just a matter of which guy will deny that fact and not help you out. So it's best to go with a guy who likes to keep a good reputation.

paul

Dec 23, 2007
Kalamazoo, MI
i agree big time on that pablo. a motorized bicycle made in china with probably no quality control thier will be a few bad ones out thier. i can live with that if the dealer takes care of the problems that may arise

freshwater

Aug 6, 2008
I bought the same motor from the same seller. I got mine for about the same price. So far the motor is running fine and hopefully I can get it to smooth out a bit.