Does the engine sound right?

GoldenMotor.com

proneto911

Oct 8, 2014
NW Burbs of Chicago
been tinkering with the engine i managed to do a sound file tonight let me know how it sounds. It has about 500 miles on the engine was on a straight away managed to do 30ish in 50 degree weather on a 48t sprocket on the second to top setting in the jet pin (5 slot) with a B6HS spark plug. On 74:1 opti-2 (one package of oil to 1 gallon of gas. Have the original metal gasket still. i do see that around the cylinder edges it is slightly bent and charred not sure if that matters.

Link is about 9 1/2 min you can skip to 8:15 min mark to my concern on the engine. it sputters a little and feels like it goes in and out acceleration wise wheel is straight and without the rail on the frame (the plastic pulley type thing in the kit)

i am going to be getting a 26" 12 guage bike wheel free wondering if it would help not breaking spokes from the stress on the spokes from the original nylon adapter from the kit getting chewed up :(

Any suggestions would be helpful

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
been tinkering with the engine i managed to do a sound file tonight let me know how it sounds. It has about 500 miles on the engine was on a straight away managed to do 30ish in 50 degree weather on a 48t sprocket on the second to top setting in the jet pin (5 slot) with a B6HS spark plug. On 74:1 opti-2 (one package of oil to 1 gallon of gas. Have the original metal gasket still. i do see that around the cylinder edges it is slightly bent and charred not sure if that matters.

Link is about 9 1/2 min you can skip to 8:15 min mark to my concern on the engine. it sputters a little and feels like it goes in and out acceleration wise wheel is straight and without the rail on the frame (the plastic pulley type thing in the kit)

i am going to be getting a 26" 12 guage bike wheel free wondering if it would help not breaking spokes from the stress on the spokes from the original nylon adapter from the kit getting chewed up :(

Any suggestions would be helpful

Not able to listen to the sound since Im at work right now, but I can tell you YES, getting a good wheel with 12ga spokes is an ideal set up in my opinion for using the rag joint coupler, I've had broken spokes on wheels with 14ga spokes, but have yet to have a single spoke issue on my wheels that have 12ga spokes.

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
In my ten years i can say I've never heard one of these engines sound like that? That motor sounds really tight.

Couple things that come to mind is it kinda sounds like a vacuum leak (maybe). Timing is off or even a broken ring or something? Base gasket leak also comes to mind. Honestly without it in front of me to look at I am kinda stumped?

Hopefully someone else can take a listen and maybe have a better idea whats going on.

proneto911

Oct 8, 2014
NW Burbs of Chicago
Thanks much appreciated :) I tried my best to break it in it sounds like my efforts paid off. I will check the seals and look at the rings. I haven't checked the rings yet sine I got it new. So ill take a lol at them.

proneto911

Oct 8, 2014
NW Burbs of Chicago
Well as an update I found the leak found out the cylinder gasket is leaking slowly oil coming out and all. Going to get a gasket kit for the 66cc's and replace all of them. Going to take a look at everything in there while I at it see if anything needs fixing.

Any suggestions on a cheap set would be helpful.