what did you do to your motorized bicycle today?

GoldenMotor.com

rock out

Jul 5, 2013
canada
I completely dismantled the engine today so I can bring the rest of the bike to the shop(they won't work on anything with a motor how lame) I think I'm gonna look to replace pretty every bolt and bolt on the motor like the mounting ones clutch arm ones and the iintake/exhaust ones. Any one know where I can find some? I'm going to bring all of them to bolts+ when I get the chance to see if they got something the same.

FMB42

Sep 27, 2013
Idaho
You want to know what I did?

I realized just how pathetic my bike is compared to yours and a whole lot other bikes I see in here.

Hey bro dont hate on your bike......lol!
Just what Map said FMB!
If she doesn't find you handsome, at least she'll find you handy.......Red Green
Give yourself some time FMB.
The first build always looks a bit rough. We've all been there.
Give it time, my friend, give it time.

I very much appreciate the support guys. Seriously, thank you all very much!

The good thing is that I, like everyone else in here, am a fan of all things mechanical; everything from sleek and cutting edge to homely underdogs, I love them all. Had some ideas rattling around in my head with this first gas build of mine, but I'm still working out some of the "bugs" and the like. About the worse thing so far is that the cases are cast for large front down tube frames (which I have), yet the factory drilled/tapped for a small down-tube frame...ya, go figure. If I can't get around this I might try installing a couple of aluminum bolts into the mount stud holes, cut them off flush, and then re-drill/tap the studs at the proper spacing. Doing so will require drilling accurate stud holes in "material" that is part cast aluminum case and part aluminum fastener which, of course, isn't always so easy (due to the drill wanting to drift off-center). I'll probably try this with the case securely clamped on a drill press or mill. Anyway, I like challenges, so it's not really a big deal (it's more annoying than anything I guess).

Note: This forum is a far-cry better some of the other "dog eat dog" bicycle forums I've belonged to. Make that light-years better. All of the members in this forum are just flat-out great to be around. Tons of knowledge, great help, fantastic bikes, friendly discussions, this place has it all.

Thanks again everyone, and please have a good weekend.

Jumpa

Aug 12, 2011
Cape Cod
Added the new Meanie Greenie roller wheel from mapbike to my tensioner from turbobuick1. Since the new wheel was slightly 'thinner', I was able to utilize the last hole in the arm --- mo betta!!
I just got my roller from Mapbike as well. Nice quality idler with top of he line bearings in it as well I got the black and red one with the skull wearing the top hat! Cool beans man !! You can tell he takes his time making them too.

Attachments

dodge dude94

Jun 8, 2012
East Texas
Yanked my rear hub apart at work. Wasn't as bad as I was expecting for 375 mi of service. I think some of the grease disintegrated though. Tire is still looking good for 375 as well. Lots of tread. Anyways, pictures!

next post....

dodge dude94

Jun 8, 2012
East Texas
Engine side of the hub:

Pedal side:

I don't think it looks too bad. I'm thinking it will fix my snap, crackle, pop I've been having which is the reason I haven't ridden the bike since August. lol
I would have gotten a couple pictures of the hub after I packed it full of grease, but didn't for obvious reasons. Thinking about replacing my rag hardware, any thoughts on that?

Danschutz

Aug 19, 2013
Wyoming
I don't think it looks too bad. I'm thinking it will fix my snap, crackle, pop
I had a little snap crackle and pop going on with my set-up, after replacing the stock chain (with a 41 Tsubaki) it all went away. The Chinese chain had one or two links that would freeze up now again and once I got it off there I could feel the perpetrators.

Oh, and of course I added on of Maps gr00vy chain r0llers :)

Danschutz

Aug 19, 2013
Wyoming
Got this in the other day, thanks to Mr. Map for leading me down the right paths. Im going to use this on my Balanced motor build but that will take most of the winter so why not throw it on the Huffy lol. Drilled it out and reamed the holes, after this pic was taken. The other head is the stocker.

When I took the head off it looked like the head gasket had a leak so that's possibly where I was losng some power and dealing with some weirdness tuning the carb. My bud Brian agreed and he is a ex motorcycle mechanic and also built Whizzer bikes in this area years ago so he has some experience in all this mess lol.

And here it is on the motor. I have yet to tighten the nuts down. I was at my buddies brains house and didn't want to sacrifice one of his sockets to the grinding wheel. Guess the test run will have to wait till tomorrow.

Oh and I swapped my front tire out and threw in some slime and tomorrow evening before my next ride Ill do the rear tire.

Once again I want to thank all the great characters here for all the help!!!!!

Dan.

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
Got this in the other day, thanks to Mr. Map for leading me down the right paths. Im going to use this on my Balanced motor build but that will take most of the winter so why not throw it on the Huffy lol. Drilled it out and reamed the holes, after this pic was taken. The other head is the stocker.

When I took the head off it looked like the head gasket had a leak so that's possibly where I was losng some power and dealing with some weirdness tuning the carb. My bud Brian agreed and he is a ex motorcycle mechanic and also built Whizzer bikes in this area years ago so he has some experience in all this mess lol.

And here it is on the motor. I have yet to tighten the nuts down. I was at my buddies brains house and didn't want to sacrifice one of his sockets to the grinding wheel. Guess the test run will have to wait till tomorrow.

Oh and I swapped my front tire out and threw in some slime and tomorrow evening before my next ride Ill do the rear tire.

Once again I want to thank all the great characters here for all the help!!!!!

Dan.

Looks great Dan...... by the way I use 1/4" drive Craftsman deep socket to tighten the nuts oon my Puch heads, they work without needing to grind on them.

Map reddd

dodge dude94

Jun 8, 2012
East Texas
I had a little snap crackle and pop going on with my set-up, after replacing the stock chain (with a 41 Tsubaki) it all went away. The Chinese chain had one or two links that would freeze up now again and once I got it off there I could feel the perpetrators.

Oh, and of course I added on of Maps gr00vy chain r0llers :)
My engine chain is new....25 miles on it. Sounded as if it was coming from the pedal side.

dodge dude94

Jun 8, 2012
East Texas
Got my ragjoint and sprocket installed back on my wheel again with new Class 8.8 nuts and bolts and blue loctite. Cleaned the pedal chain. Took it for a ride around the yard without the engine chain on it...rides great.

xseler

Apr 14, 2013
OKC, OK
I think that tomorrow is gonna be a perfect day for an extended ride!! 70*, light winds, middle of the week.......yep, perfect!!

Ouch that Hurt

Jul 27, 2013
Port Alberni, BC, Canada
I decked my head today. Noticed some oil covering the top fin of the jug. Did the glass sadpaper method. But it was the fins that were gettin in the way of a good seal. Dunno if i warped the head during break in or if just bad casting. But all good now....purrs like a malnourished kitten.

Danschutz

Aug 19, 2013
Wyoming
Looks great Dan...... by the way I use 1/4" drive Craftsman deep socket to tighten the nuts oon my Puch heads, they work without needing to grind on them.

Map reddd
Oh dang, I think I remember you telling me that lol. That's what I will probably do as I will need a dedicated socket for these heads. Thanks again!

My engine chain is new....25 miles on it. Sounded as if it was coming from the pedal side.
Well I hope cleaning that chain fixes your woes Dude. :)

Over the weekend I setup my tube notcher.

I had to weld up a bracket to bolt it to the drill press table.
My ignorance will shine through right now (not that I try to disguise it) whats a tube notcher?

I decked my head today. Noticed some oil covering the top fin of the jug. Did the glass sadpaper method. But it was the fins that were gettin in the way of a good seal. Dunno if i warped the head during break in or if just bad casting. But all good now....purrs like a malnourished kitten.
I Hook up the drive line
hmm. Ill have to take a second glance and see if my head wasn't warped, thought it was the gasket.

Cruise

Oct 2, 2013
Australia
After some sweat and blistering hand-fab work on some 5mm plate steel for some custom offset mounts, I mock-mounted my rear sprocket on the wheel of a new chopper build. I swear balloons we're falling from the roof in my shed as I put the wheel and chain on to find that the chain alignment is near on perfect.

Danschutz

Aug 19, 2013
Wyoming
Drove 9 hours yesterday to pick up my highly anticipated project bike, then once I got there I bought two of them lol. I figured heck i already burnt up a bunch of gas getting here and the chances were slim to find two willing sellers. Will probably swap everything from my Huffy to one of these frames. Then immediate work on fundage damage control.

Dan.

xseler

Apr 14, 2013
OKC, OK
Did my first cylinder inspection this evening. Not too bad.......there is slight scuffing on the exhaust side, however, the cylinder still feels shiny smooth. Exhaust port is squeaky clean, but it still looks like it's running slightly rich. If I lean it down anymore than where it's at, it's a biotch to start. I guess I'll leave it where it's at for now.

This is at about 350 miles.