deal or no deal for this set up i just got

GoldenMotor.com

oldpot

Jun 21, 2012
MICHIGAN
bought the bike from older gentleman (65-70)off Craigslist he knew about bikes as he got 2 lovely tandem bikes he made him self and this other werid bike ,
ok bike is a 26 inch Royce union single speed bike,49cc engine kit with a rear band brake whatever that is how do they work ???i think the back wheel seams different to front so think his a stronger one ,
i see the chain adjuster is on the other side on normal chain ,first time i seen that (he knows about bikes so he must know why it is there i guessing )and back sprocket as well not connected to the spooks
the choke got Chinese writing for off and on ,
i got extras in
rear rack with bag with 3 sides to it .
vetta front light
cat-eye 5 bike computer
2 gallon gas can
mirror
front brake ,
$150 for the bikes and extras
there must be $100 with the extras alone .

[URL="

[URL="

[URL="

i just been cleaning it up a bit (i love to take it out but bit cold at the moment) , i found a few problems with it hope not big jobs ,first when i went for a quick ride when i came to a stop the engine stopped (ok it cold and not been used in a few months he said, bottom of gas line that goes into carb its missing a clamp and he just wired it on it might be leaking a bit i have to check when i do ride it ,there a cracks at the top of front fender where it bolts onto the bike ,might have to get rid of that ,now with the looks of it he put a half chain on the big chain so that dont need a chain tensioner and he put some wire chip on it not sure if that safe i add pics of that when i can ,and not sure if the bolts on the bike are the bolts from the kit or better ones how can i tell if there the original kit bolts or better ones ??? one big issue i got its the clutch lever and cable end that goes into the lever part its very wobbly when you press it in and lever moves side to side it still works but very slack and i cannot tighten it ( i try get pic later of it ) .
other problem i might have is when i need to take back wheel off i no idea how to mess with the bandbrake drum thingy that's on there lol.

so what you all thing deal or no deal :)

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
The rear wheel has an aftermarket hub with a band brake. Treat it like a coaster brake and unbolt the arm, then remove the cable and it comes off like any other rim. The brake works by pulling on a band wrapped around a drum, kinda like a drum brake turned inside-out. It seems like a decent setup to me.

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
The rear hub runs around 50$ if I remeber right. I can't find it on fleabay...but I know I've seen these hubs and have heard decent stuff about them. I'd say you stole it at that price! WIN!

Trey

$50 Cruiser
Jan 17, 2013
Where cattle outnumber people 3 to 1.
maniac57 is correct, it is a motorbicycles.com heavy duty rear wheel kit, or like. It's what I have, I posted pics on rebuilding it.

The band brake will not safetly stop a gasbike alone! The explaination mark means I aint bee essen.

Couldn't understand what you meant by "...put some wire chip on it..." ?

I'm certainly no pro, but I'd guess the guy lined up the rear wheel, and the engine chain was tight, and the pedal chain was not, and he just put the tensioner over there because it was the easiest thing to do. I did research, and asked here, and now don't use any chain tensioner of any kind. Shorten your pedal chain to match the engine chain, and keep the axle as far back into the slots as you can- almost all the way is good.

Fantastic price. That is a deal, but I've still got you beat with the $50 DUI cruiser:)

Last edited:

ocho ninja

Jan 14, 2012
San Jose, CA
That is really good deal there.

Trey for the price you got your bike for, you pratically robed the guy blind lol
And holy crapé you have 200 posts already!

Trey

$50 Cruiser
Jan 17, 2013
Yeah, it was almost a crime. But it's some kinda record...
And as to how many posts- ****! I just noticed that myself! I never even saw a gasbike before a couple months ago. I am so gratefull for this group of people who have been helping me along. Plus I don't have a life and I talk too much:)

Powertool

Jul 8, 2012
Bradford,TN.
If you look at the pics posted by oldpot there are no miles on that rear sprocket, which means just some fine tuning, you should have a good bike

wing nut

Aug 9, 2012
warren p.a.
the bike looks real clean , & for the price ? cant go wrong
maybe pay some attention to the fender brackets and replace them & their bolts with a better steel replacement

oldpot

Jun 21, 2012
MICHIGAN
ty for the info on the band brakes maniac 57 hope i not got to removed wheel for a while ,

trey i meant to say wire clip at bottom of fuel line (hope get pics later),

i still not sure if the nuts and bolts are from stock kit (how can i tell??)

the front fender looks like i will be taking off and the crack are about inch both sides of there bolt goes through it ,.or is it too late to reinforce it??

i might need new clutch lever and cable and the one on now is (lever part) goes side to side and looks loose i on about ordering a double brake lever (will i be able to use it with front brake and the bandbrake lever??)wish i could get out and test it better but its too cold and snowy at the moment:(

Trey

$50 Cruiser
Jan 17, 2013
If by wire clip you mean the old style hose clamp that you need pliers for, you should be ok. Just be sure it ain't leakin! Fuel line and hose clamps are really cheap, and I suggest you replace them all as part of your fuel system go thru; when you flush the tank, clean the carb, replace the filter etc.

I can't see the nuts and bolts in your pics, so can't say.

From what I've learned here, you should take the fenders and their bracketry seriously. Search fenders above.

Ain't been around long enough to advise you on the lever, but there is alot of info on them around here.

Post some more pics, and let us know what you do.

oldpot

Jun 21, 2012
MICHIGAN
i took it for a spin around apts where i live took about 7 times to get it going right (ok its cold and been stood for a while is that normal)??do i need to check anything

i got one of these clutch levers below under the brake and the lever its self wobbles side to side and the top part its same (should they do that )and where the cable goes in its loose and looks broke , i might change and get one that got the push button

[URL="

when bike got going it sounded (i think) ok had to adjust the idle as it kept stalling every time i stopped .

trey bottom of fuel line where it goes into carb he put some wire around it but i looked and it not leaking i keep checking that area

[URL="

also looks liek he added half a link to chain is this how you do that is this safe??

[URL="

ok the gentleman who i got it put the chain adjuster on the normal chain (not sure why someone said to match up the other chain that had not got an adjuster on ) now when i was peddling to get going it was hard (ok not had a single gear bike so i not sure if thats the normal or what ) but felt hard to peddle could the adjuster have something to so with it ??

[URL="

still need some tinkling with and tryign to find out how to remove rust from top of head set and clean up more but for $150 i thing well worth it and hope learn more stuff on the way and hope have this for a long time .

Trey

$50 Cruiser
Jan 17, 2013
Soon, people with much more experience will give you their feedback. Until then here's my trey cents...
That clutch lever is obviously outdated, replace it and the cable, search above for 'proper clutch adjustment' etc.
I put a few capfulls of Seafoam in my bike after it sat for a year or two. I believe it helped, but can't prove it. One capfull in every tank from now on too.
That fuel line wire is inappropriate, replace it with a proper hose clamp for .35 and don't catch on fire:)
I can't speak to the chain link.
The tensioner is not exactly the same as mine, but those look like stock fasteners to me.
A tensioner on the pedal chain is something people do to take up the slack when it's difficult to align the rear wheel due to differences in chain lengths.
Your drive chain must be matched up as perfectly as you can get it, or it will come off while you are riding. Looking from the rear of your bike, make sure that both your drive chain and pedal chain are in a straight line around both sprockets in the rear, and in the front. Be patient, it's important, but it sounds like your running fine now.
Have you cleaned and oiled both of your chains? Search above for 'chain lube' etc.
That was a great deal, and with just a few more bucks, you should have a dependable runner- congrats!

Last edited:

oldpot

Jun 21, 2012
MICHIGAN
ty trey for your input i will check the things you said ,the bolts all look tight even if there the stock ones i will keep my eye on them ,order a new clutch set hope this ones easier that the one i got ,i got be going out for a few days at least on it had 4-5 inch of snow and too cold hehe, shame about the front fender with the cracks in but safely first i might try get another one from somewhere and strengthen it up .ty again now i got my bike might be more questions in time , my main prob now its sorting some signal and brake lights , i order one of them 6 dollar ones even if just to get me legal here as i never be riding in the dark .

WightBoy

Aug 30, 2012
Michigan, USA
you don't have to replace the fender, just modify it. The bracket that bolts to the top of the forks is usually riveted onto the fender. Take the rivets and bracket off and replace with a thicker steel bracket and use nuts and bolts to hold it to the fender and forks

Trey

$50 Cruiser
Jan 17, 2013
And if you're really not driving in the dark, you can get super cheap, aa battery operated, clamp on lights at a dollar store. Don't depend on them for real light though. If you need to drive at night, search above for "lights' etc.
Keep us posted!