New builder, needs help please:)

GoldenMotor.com

jeristen

May 12, 2012
acampo
Hello All,
I'm new to the motorized bike world, but love what I've read so far. I hav a wife with a baby on the way, and need to save money in gas for all these new unexpected expendatures. I am 5'7'', 142 lbs so I think that opens me up to a varitey of different models to build on. I have looked at both the huffy and schwinn for build models. My question to all the pro's out there....I would like my bike to look somewhat custom in the fact that the gas tank and motor match the bik style and color. Does anyone know of a parts list I can use to assemble the necessities for a build, or a even a motor kit that does not include a gas tank so I can choose the style I want, without having to buy a kit, and then replace all the parts. Any info to help would be amazing!

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Welcome to the forum!

Read up a bit and have a look at some of the custom built bikes we have here. Generally, you can just re-sell the bits you don't want to another member, or on ebay.

The sky is the limit!!!

robbomberbomyea

Dec 10, 2011
toledo oh
you can find all the nec. parts and buy seperatly but youll end up paying more,ive found that buying the complete kit and selling or saving the extra parts for spare or future builds is the cheapest way.also that way you have everything you need in case you forget to buy somthing. anyway good luck.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
If it is the shape of the fuel tank that you don't like I'd suggest searching for one from a motorcycle salvage yard or check ebay and craig's list for something that suits you.

Naturally anything non-kit is going to take some fabrication to mount.
If color is your issue, Dupli-Color automotive paint comes in a huge variety of colors and I've always been able to find paint to match the bicycle color. The engine and fuel tank can be painted to match or enhance the look of your bike.
In all, you're only limited by your imagination/skills, and of course, your wallet.

As for ordering an incomplete kit, you'll be money ahead to get the whole thing and sell or save what you don't want. If you're like most of us you'll be thinking about a second bike and those extra parts just might come in handy down the road.
Good luck.
Tom