48cc..66cc..Now I'm told 80 cc doesn't exist?

GoldenMotor.com

Airbuzz

Aug 16, 2008
I'm still new to all this.

My first build is running without being able to disengage the clutch (I'm waiting on a replacement motor.) Even in this condition the bike is loads of fun.

But recently I read on an Ebay vendor sight, that there is no 80cc engine. That the 66 and 80cc engines are one in the same. It was stated that the 80cc is a marketing stretch that 80cc is close enough to the 66cc so many vendors call it an 80cc.

Is this the case?

Don't these guys know what they are selling or getting from China?

jasonh

Jun 23, 2008
Longmont, CO
They know what they're doing. It's America, and bigger is better, don't you know.

Chris Hill does state that his motor is actually 80cc's, but most "80cc" kits you'll find are 66/67cc, also referred to as 70cc. I think I've even seen some vendors selling the 50cc kits as 80cc...

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
yes it is old motorbike...

I have the same engine and I think it is just peachy keen. It could say 10cc on it for all I care, it would perform the same.

jasonh

Jun 23, 2008
Longmont, CO
Yep, not an 80cc. Don't feel ripped off though, it's not like that extra 10cc would do you a whole lot of good. yeah, it's stupid that they do it, but oh well.

Airbuzz

Aug 16, 2008
Thanks for all of your replies everyone. I'm still surprised though. I won't mention the business I'm in, but any lie for marketing sake is anathema. It should be labeled what it is!

old motorbike

Sep 21, 2008
Fl.
yes it is old motorbike...

I have the same engine and I think it is just peachy keen. It could say 10cc on it for all I care, it would perform the same.
I agree, it performs fairly well for the design. I'll leave the go fast 2 wheel mods to my Hayabusa. I just want to make this a little more comfy with a better seat. Also gear it with a 36 rear sprocket to make it easier to cruise as there's no hills to climb here in S. Fla.