Custom Frame For Thumper Motor

GoldenMotor.com

Bike Monster

Jun 4, 2010
Conneticut
Update: Is the motor reliable? Yes it is. Is the drive train reliable? That’s a good question. The torque is a big factor and is doing a number on the chain.

Read below:

Decided to ride this past Sunday with a local group called “Venice Vintage Motorcycle Club”, they do a ride once a month. This ride was from Venice area to a place called Neptune’s Net in Ventura, up PCH 33 miles one way. Now what was I thinking? I know what I was thinking...beach, babes, and biker chicks

Upon meeting up with this group the feeling was what is this guy thinking. They were all cool people and enjoyed my ride.

We hit a lot of traffic at the start due to an accident but then the road opened up, at one point one of the radar signs clocked me at 52mph. To tell you the truth it was scary on that 2.5 tire. Made it to the location and really surprised the group. The bike was a hit among all the high dollar machines. Made it 20 miles back then the master link let loose and the chain went flying off the bike. Attempted to pedal it, made it to a restaurant called the Chart House and made the phone call for a ride. Had a few really good margaritas and a shrimp cocktail to end the day. dance1

I really wanted to complete this venture…but things happen.
some nice bikes... why dont you get rid of the master link and use a chain tool???

nhssdf4

Jun 21, 2010
Ruston, LA
I got some more work done on the beast.. I mean bike. I had some friends back at the pad tonight and they talked me into starting it up again…it’s now become entertainment for us…the bike was ready for a test ride. All I can say is wow…

Thumper is the only way…or should I say new way to go.
I love those hookworms you have on there... how did they work for you?

nhssdf4

Jun 21, 2010
Ruston, LA
I read through this entire thread from beginning to end and it was quite exciting.... 52MPH! Thats crazy! To believe that you made almost everything yourself is quite unreal.... It is a very clean build and I really like the Frankenstein kinda inside with a cool metal outside. Absolutely a wonderful job and I hope to see it in person.

Also for the fork, if you want a good for I would look at a Rockshox Reba or something of that nature if your not looking for a motorcycle-esk feel and they have high and low speed compression dampening for cruising or blazing down the roads. Another option would be a Rocksox Recon. Anything that uses air. Great build man, and referring to my previous post, I have lusted after those hookworms for quite some time. How did they hold up?

Right now I am using a Michelin Pilot Sport 2.3 and I can almost knee drag on it.

culvercityclassic

Sep 27, 2009
Culver City, Ca
Thanks for the compliments on the bike; it has been a fun project. I am in the planning stages of a new bike for an up-coming race. I am thinking more along the lines of a modern board track racer powered by another four stroke. I am going to start the layout this weekend.

The forks you recommend are nice and I might use them one day but at this time I am over-stocked with options, you would **** if you could see my surplus.

As far as tires you have some of the best (Pilot) on your bike, the hookworms have worked well but then again I did not want to dump this bike on its first race. LOL
I think one of my fellow racers and the winner of Willow (Magrider) was using Pilot’s.

nhssdf4

Jun 21, 2010
Ruston, LA
Thanks for the compliments on the bike; it has been a fun project. I am in the planning stages of a new bike for an up-coming race. I am thinking more along the lines of a modern board track racer powered by another four stroke. I am going to start the layout this weekend.

The forks you recommend are nice and I might use them one day but at this time I am over-stocked with options, you would **** if you could see my surplus.

As far as tires you have some of the best (Pilot) on your bike, the hookworms have worked well but then again I did not want to dump this bike on its first race. LOL
I think one of my fellow racers and the winner of Willow (Magrider) was using Pilot’s.

The 2.5 is almost too much for any standard size frames, but the pilots have worked out wonderfully on mine. They are actually a little too big. I was watching a video of the race on youtube and there was a guy who looked like a blueberry, And it looked like he was running pilot's as well. Keep me informed on your projects as their badassery is off the charts. And as far as the 2 stroke vs. 4 storkes go, how did you keep up the morinis on the track?

culvercityclassic

Sep 27, 2009
Culver City, Ca
The 2.5 is almost too much for any standard size frames, but the pilots have worked out wonderfully on mine. They are actually a little too big. I was watching a video of the race on youtube and there was a guy who looked like a blueberry, And it looked like he was running pilot's as well. Keep me informed on your projects as their badassery is off the charts. And as far as the 2 stroke vs. 4 storkes go, how did you keep up the morinis on the track?
I think tire choice will be the main thing in our races, I went with the largest tire I could find with a good pattern and it worked for me.

The bike I built did not have a problem with the Morini motored bikes. You can quote me on this: "The four strokes are going to dominate motor bicycle racing"...and the beauty of the four strokes is all the high performance parts available.

Last edited:

msrfan

Sep 17, 2010
Southern California
Hey Jeff. I've been meaning to ask you about your fuel pump on your race bike. Is the gravity feed not enough pressure or volume? Just curious. Thanks. Dale.

culvercityclassic

Sep 27, 2009
Culver City, Ca
The latest addition to the bike is this 56 tooth sprocket; I am trying to get this motor to REV a bit more. The CVT when in full action lugs the bike a bit so hoping this resolves the issue. This new sprocket is as big as a PIZZA...

I am also working on some type of chain adjuster to keep from losing it so often.

O- and that other picture is just another Thumper... lol

Attachments

culvercityclassic

Sep 27, 2009
Culver City, Ca
I have been playing around with the bike a bit lately. Fixed some oil leaks, made some adjustments, and made a new exhaust. It has really killed me trying to come up with an exhaust that performs and looks right. Did a little research and this is my design, you could call it a staged exhaust since it gradually gets larger.

I also worked on the fuel lines, the one on the bike did not hold up to our wonderful gas additive. I installed some hi-end fuel line that solved the problem.

Attachments

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
I have been playing around with the bike a bit lately. Fixed some oil leaks, made some adjustments, and made a new exhaust. It has really killed me trying to come up with an exhaust that performs and looks right. Did a little research and this is my design, you could call it a staged exhaust since it gradually gets larger.

I also worked on the fuel lines, the one on the bike did not hold up to our wonderful gas additive. I installed some hi-end fuel line that solved the problem.
Nice pipe Jeff, there's no reverse cone hiding inside that 3rd stage is there?

dnut

tommyboy1442

Nov 25, 2009
chicago
amzing work brother, bad to the bone!!! itd be kool to see that thing with a full race motor on there runnin off alcahol turnin 15,000 rpms-lol