trying to build a commuter

GoldenMotor.com

NathanL

Aug 17, 2008
I commute by bicycle now but am about to double my distance so am trying to add an engine to the mix! I like rack mounts over frame mounts for some unknown reason, but I like the cheapness of chinese engines... This could get ugly!

My goal is to keep it pretty light and rideable without engine power. In the words of the late Mitch Hedburg "An escalator can never break: it can only become stairs. You would never see an Escalator Temporarily Out Of Order sign, just Escalator Temporarily Stairs. Sorry for the convenience." My motor bike will never break, it will just temporarily become a bike. No cruisers, choppers, or fat tires for me!

That's where I stand.

Nice to meet you!

lennyharp

Jul 19, 2008
Mesa Arizona
I have commuted a long time. Hello, by the way and welcome. I bought a Staton kit and it was great but not cheap. I decided to try a Chinese motor for grins and because they are less than half the cost. I am sure already that there is much more mechanical work to it this way. A bicycle by nature takes some extra wrench time so this does not bother me too much as long as I can get home 95% of the time with what I know and can fix on the road. I hope to take my first Chinese engined bike commute today.

MarcPhotoMan

May 21, 2008
Montreal, Canada
marc: I like your placement of the gas tank. The toptube faux motorcycle look never did much for me.

How does that no flat tube work? Is it a reinforced tube or is it a slime filled one? I like Mr. Tuffy (I think there are some other brands to) tire liners that go between the tube and tire. The first time I changed a flat on a slime tube was the last time I'll ever use one! It's like an alien exploded in the tire. Green slime everywhere!

Great looking bike! Very similar to what I'm shooting for.
My post disappeared I am not sure what happened any way back to your questions.

I Used a piece if pvc pipe that i mounted onto the frame of the bike with a l bracket it is screwed into the hole where a brakes or a fender brace goes and the with plumbers strapping to the rack, the rack is still usable the tank fits exactly in the dead space between the seat pole and the rack.

I like the tank on the back for the same reason and it still looks like a bike, plus i don't like the idea of gas in front of my face,

I know it's not much better there but its the idea of it in front of me.

O got the tube at walmart 20 bucks see the picks
Walmart.com: No-Mor Flats Solid Inner Tube: Bikes, Scooters & Skates

Attachments

Last edited:

skyl4rk

Aug 14, 2008
M I C H I G A N
If you want to be able to pedal you will have to make sure you have a kit that freewheels easily. The chinese kit I had did not freewheel, the chain and clutch housing always rotated when the wheel rotated.

I know Staton has a freewheel kit and I believe that Dax Titan is easy to pedal. Golden Eagle, I think you have to remove the belt to get free pedaling.

But to repeat, you are not going to get an easily pedalable bike if you install a 2 cycle chinese kit.

Easy Rider

Santa Cruz Scooter Works
Jan 15, 2008
Nor*Cal
Welcom aboard Nathan.
Do you know what I'd ready like to see is a street bike (like the bike that Lance Armstrong races) with a motor on it. Now that would be a cool commuter bike.

May 10, 2008
Nappanee, IN
i think that would be cool too, full bore road bike with quad cassette bearing hubs and HT / shifter kit. gear it 25/ 35/ 45/ 55 right bewteen the torque and HP peaks.

buy motorcycle armored gear and fullface helmet

shameless plug, i have a GEBE mount kit and rear wheel for sale in the swap shop.

steve