What speed do u cruize at on open road?

GoldenMotor.com

cyclepro101

May 13, 2009
NEWCASTLE
I have a 36t rear and fins that 25mph (40km/h) is just on the pipe and appears to be quite fast enough. There is still heaps of throttle left and I sqirt it to 45 or 50 km/h very easy but 40km/h is a nice spped to cruize down the open road at.
Also what rear sprocket do u run?

Steve

bandito

May 22, 2009
colorado
I have a friction setup and with a 1" 1/8th roller I cruise at about 20 to 25 mph on the side streets. On the major streets Im on the side walk going 10 to 15 mph. Unless theres a dedicated white line defined bike path on a major street I dont ride on them, I value my life too much. This bike will max out at 40 mph though if you want it too.

Kevlarr

Jul 22, 2009
Mi
Open road, WOT about 28-30.
Sidewalk, anywhere around 15 to 20.
There are quite a few roads around here that don't have dedicated bike paths and even though they're 4 lane thoroughfares I will not ride on them because of the condition of the road, heck I don't even like driving down them in my truck! lol

My rule of thumb has become if the speed limit's over 35 mph, there's a curb and no bike lane I'm on the sidewalk.

Thought I might catch a little trouble when I was going down the sidewalk the other day because there was a cop running a speed trap in a driveway and I had to ride right in front of him. He glanced up at me from his paperwork for a second then went right back to what he was doing. For motorized bicycles not being totally legal around here the police have been rather cool about it.

FileStyle

May 27, 2008
Decatur,IL
35t sprocket with expansion chamber and straight intake on 26" rims on mountain bike weighing in at 180 lbs I can cruise easy at 30mph and in a tucked down position i have hit 41 mph max. tho I dont ride like that all the time. I cruise between 25-30 mph. and I started out riding on the sidewalks but now I ride in the road if posted speed limie is 35mph or less. unless it's night time and have the road to myself.

fall_down_stand_up

Apr 26, 2009
granbury
Wow,you guys are starting to make me wonder about my sanity(if I have any)....I ride my bike on roads posted 55 mph or higher all day long,I drive on city streets with no curb(I just expect the drivers to move over a few inches when they go by....I have never had a problem....I use my rearview mirror continuously to see whats coming up behind me....My cruising speed is around 25 to30mph(44 tooth srocket),sometimes I will take it up to 35 or so....
John.shft.

cyclepro101

May 13, 2009
NEWCASTLE
Wow,you guys are starting to make me wonder about my sanity(if I have any)....I ride my bike on roads posted 55 mph or higher all day long,I drive on city streets with no curb(I just expect the drivers to move over a few inches when they go by....I have never had a problem....I use my rearview mirror continuously to see whats coming up behind me....My cruising speed is around 25 to30mph(44 tooth srocket),sometimes I will take it up to 35 or so....
John.shft.
Yep, I think they are all soft too. I race road (push) bikes so I am used to screaming around on the road. Its way too dangerous on the footpath.

Steve

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Yes, soft. ;) I ride on state and U.S. routes all the time with my bikes and my scooter. Semis regularly pass me at 70+ mph just a few inches away....am I a hero? No. Crazy? Hmmmm.

I run a 44T and run about 20-25 cruise. Out here, the difference between 25 mph and 30 mph is a moot point.

Lincoln

Aug 20, 2009
Nova Scotia, Canada
Call me crazy but i always cruise at around 35 mph on my bike, trouble is i am pretty well at full throttle when doing so.... i have a road bike with 700(28") tires and a 44tooth sprocket which i am planning to switch to a faster one (40 tooth or else 36). I feel very comfortable at high speed other than the vibration which is why i want a smaller sprocket to reduce rpm and therefore vibration.

TheE

Jun 26, 2009
Canada
I usually sit at 32-34km/h on my 49cc. The motor sounds like it's having a mechanical tachycardia if I go any faster.

xlite

Jun 18, 2009
ny,ny
Wow.. where are all the guys who cruise 45mph and top at 55? Musta got tired of all the shovelin'. :)

My stock slant 67cc with carb cover removed and 36t tops at 35mph but rarely go over 20-25 cruise. Smooooooooooth compared to the original 44t. And better mileage too.

skyliner

May 17, 2009
jensen
read my signature and youll see my specs and if your doin 30 with a 44t you need to get a 36 lower rpms and a much smoother ride

Lincoln

Aug 20, 2009
Nova Scotia, Canada
Skyliner are you talking to me? if so yes i do, the vibtration is crazy, i have the advantage of the 28' wheels as i said to give me extra speed, i am guessing the m.p.h. as my speedo reads in kilometers, but 60 km,s is close to 35 m.p.h. i think and i want to go long distances on my cycle so speed is very helpful. Also does anyone know where i can get a larger tank so i no longer have to take extra fuel with me in a seperate container?

Kevlarr

Jul 22, 2009
Mi
Also does anyone know where i can get a larger tank so i no longer have to take extra fuel with me in a seperate container?
Just a quick check on ebay brought up a 1 gallon tank for $25 and a 3/4 gallon chrome tank for $30

Mike Hunt

Jun 9, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
i like to go around 45km/h, but if i get a nice open straightaway i gun it till top speed; i plan my routes to avoid major streets, kill the engine on side walks

tyrslider

Sep 26, 2008
RainCity
Good point xlite. I know of a 70cc that honestly does 45mph but not 55 and thats w/ a/m carb, filter, expando chamber and shift kit.

My 4 stroke shifter does about 37max on the flats. I have taller gears than I need so I can cruise at any speed really.

I ride WOT pretty much 'til I reach terminal velocity except downhill. Keep in mind I live in Seattle and it's very hilly. I average about 20 mph on my commute (11 mi takes about 30 min). I'm reduced to < 20 up some hills and reach >40 on a few downhill spots. I can reach those downhill speeds w/ or w/o the motor.

Quality bicycle componants, good safety gear and well crafted mb widgetry go a long way to inspiring confidence!

So far we don't get any attn from the fuzz! Passed 1 doing 35mph in a 40mph zone yesterday. I know I wasn't speeding by car standards but mb's aren't technically legal in WA and I don't know of any state where it's legal to go 35 mph on 'em. Seattle is trying to be more of a bike town, though, too.

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
I tune my bikes to run @ WOT... Some of the bikes like it better than others.
I have one bike that revs way faster than the others, & every now & then, I have to back off the throttle to keep from possibly hurting it. (the 1982 Schwinn)