Help Finding a Welding shop

GoldenMotor.com

Mike Stroz

Sep 2, 2015
Shrewsbury, MA
I'm new to the whole motorized bicycle scene and I want to start my first project, something very similar to this: http://www.vintageprojects.com/mini-bike/Power-Bike-plans.pdf and the problem is I can't weld, and I don't know anyone who can. Does anyone have a suggestion for a good welding shop around Shrewsbury, MA? I dropped the frame and motor off at a shop a couple months ago with very clear instructions, but they haven't even touched it yet, and I'd like to take the project somewhere that will actually work on it. Any suggestions are appreciated! I also wouldn't be opposed to someone doing it themselves for me, either.:-||

Chaz

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver, British Columbia
Mike, that's a cool looking bike. If I were to get a frame welded up custom I would want a longer wheelbase. It's so much cheaper and easier to start with an existing frame and go from there. I understand you want a custom job but it might be prudent to start with something basic for your first build. There's a lot of suitable frames out there. Just my thoughts for what they are worth.

I am curious if the shop quoted you a price for the job.

And check with a local welding school/classes to see if you can get a student to weld it up for you as a project.

good luck and welcome to the forum

Mike Stroz

Sep 2, 2015
Shrewsbury, MA
The shop didn't give me an exact quote, they just said they would call me and check in occasionally and I haven't heard anything. I was thinking of bringing it to a local welding class or something, but I don't think there are any within an hour of my house...

Mike Stroz

Sep 2, 2015
Shrewsbury, MA
Also, I was thinking of buying a ready- made frame, but I haven't been able to find anything like that for sale. I also forgot to put in my last post, I have the exact same frame as the one in the instructions, but I'm using a slightly newer and way cheaper Briggs 5s engine in place of the one in the original plans.

racie35

Nov 17, 2012
usa
It's a really cool early design..looks easy enough. Be a good home for a hf 79.

Mike Stroz

Sep 2, 2015
Shrewsbury, MA
I'll definitely post pictures as I get it built, I just need to find someone willing to take on the project because I can't weld and I don't know anyone who can...

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
Some steel supply houses do fab work,check them out. How about your local laws bikes without pedals?....................Curt

Mike Stroz

Sep 2, 2015
Shrewsbury, MA
I did a more thorough web search and turned up a place that will do the work. I'll be posting pictures of the project as it progresses. As for the laws, I'm not sure, but what's the worst that could happen? :)

leo

Jul 20, 2015
southern wv
I did a more thorough web search and turned up a place that will do the work. I'll be posting pictures of the project as it progresses. As for the laws, I'm not sure, but what's the worst that could happen? :)
the cops confiscate it on day one...