New from Michigan

GoldenMotor.com

Rump Rocket

May 21, 2014
Michigan
I'm looking at buying a Flaming Horse Silver Slant 80cc Bicycle Engine Kit and mount it on a 26" Huffy Cantilever Cruiser....any suggestions or advice before making the dive would be appreciated, and by the way all our snow finally melted (^)

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
Welcome to the forum. Avoid the cruiser bikes that have the cargo rack welded to the frame, like the Panama Jack and Nel Lusso. Those frames seem to crack more than others when motorized.

Lightning Boy

Apr 19, 2014
Michigan
Greetings from a fellow Michigander, RR. Welcome to the club!

I once had a Huffy Cranbrook Cruiser with that motor, and it did alright until the chain tensioner ate the tire. Keep an eye on that thing, and mount it to two points on the frame to prevent wobble and twist...

We ended up moving the motor over to a schwinn chopper later on for a different feel, but the frame never did crack on that Huffy. Be sure to check for good welds, especially in the dropout area. These things considered, they can be nice bikes with a little prep work and upkeep.

Last edited:

bluegoatwoods

Jul 29, 2012
Central Illinois
The Huffys that are coming out of the big box stores really are amazingly stout. Though I have noticed reports of frame breakage at those weld-on racks.

So, yeah, I'd avoid those models.

Or maybe it could be reinforced?

gaffo

May 10, 2014
Norman
I have a Huffy Cranbrook I bought about 8 yrs ago - still in great shape. nice bike - even though cheap/Chinese.

I've got my hands full with my "goped" now - but for future reference (say in a couple of years+) if I decide to add a motor (prefer the 4-stoke kits) - anyone have any preference as to who offers the best one for a cranbrook install?