Traffic Ticket fine in Los Angeles..ridiculous!

GoldenMotor.com

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Forgive my differing view and I am not intending to play devil's advocate here. I live in CT which is exceedingly liberal and kind to MBs and MBers but one of the few absolutes about a "Bicycle with motor assistance" is that one is not allowed on a side walk with or with out the motor running. On a near by road, I regularly do as it is suicide to ride on the road there. It is a good lil town with 3 MBs and the cops around seem to think of them as amusing and not of great concern. If I got ticketed for doing what I know is against the rules, well I took my chances and lost.

I do not mean to detract from or minimize any one's frustration. But eventually I will probably be cited for just this and my part in it, is I knew and rode where it was not legal to do so.

CalgarysFool

Aug 30, 2008
Since they double-docked your bank account when paying on line, it would seem you have a basis to file a civil suit against the system.

You could really have some fun with this. You see, of course there is the money that you are out of pocket, but let's not forget that there are "additional costs" (fees!) to be considered.

And it wouldn't be outrageous to argue that the mistake reflected negligence. I understand one is entitled to "trebble damages" in many jurisdictions when there is negligence. Heck, if there is a programming error in the system, maybe it could be a class action lawsuit....
But I let my retaliation fantasy, on your behalf, run away with me.

Imagine the ruckus, though, when someone gets a summons to appear! I don' t have any idea who it would be, but someone has to be accountable.

Surely there is some telephone message system providing free legal guidance, or some book or pamphlet put out to help folks "DIY" when it comes to this stuff.

Raise ****, man! And have a ball doing it.

jasonh

Jun 23, 2008
Longmont, CO
I love the cries for fighting the system.

On that ticket it should cite the law that was broken. Look it up to make sure it was valid. If there is a law that was preventing you from riding on the sidewalk (don't forget county and city), then too bad. As for the fees, you ought to be able to get a detailed description on each one, what it's for, and why it was assessed.

However, you already paid it which is basically an admission of guilt and an acceptance of the other fees. If you had an issue with it, you should've brought it up before paying the ticket.

As for getting double charged for paying online, there are a few ways that could've happened....accidentally clicking the 'submit' button twice for example. Call them, and you should have no issue getting the 2nd charge refunded. If they give you a hassle, call your bank. I seriously doubt it's 'the man' trying to beat you down.

It's just like breaking any other traffic law. You speed and get caught and get ticketed, acknowledge you made a mistake, pay your fines, and learn from your mistake. All 'the man' is doing is trying to give you some consequences for breaking the law so you won't do it again.

Just my $0.02.

Sep 20, 2008
Clearwater, FL
web.tampabay.rr.com
Mr.2Tcycles,

It has been a really LONGGGG 2 days and nights at the shop. I would put in my two cents on this one, But I am tired. If this thread doesn't get locked out in the next day or so I might.

I suggest you listen to Arlo Guthries song "Alice's restaurant" It's a classic. If you don't have it, "never heard of it", Download it now!!! It will make you laugh!

Jim

Last edited:

Mr.2Tcycles

Nov 13, 2008
Hawthorne CA
Since they double-docked your bank account when paying on line, it would seem you have a basis to file a civil suit against the system.

You could really have some fun with this. You see, of course there is the money that you are out of pocket, but let's not forget that there are "additional costs" (fees!) to be considered.

And it wouldn't be outrageous to argue that the mistake reflected negligence. I understand one is entitled to "trebble damages" in many jurisdictions when there is negligence. Heck, if there is a programming error in the system, maybe it could be a class action lawsuit....
But I let my retaliation fantasy, on your behalf, run away with me.

Imagine the ruckus, though, when someone gets a summons to appear! I don' t have any idea who it would be, but someone has to be accountable.

Surely there is some telephone message system providing free legal guidance, or some book or pamphlet put out to help folks "DIY" when it comes to this stuff.

Raise ****, man! And have a ball doing it.
The state forcing me to ride on the street.......isn't that attempted murder? Making you pay money for fear of pain/punishment isn't that extortion? I'd drag 'em all to court if I had the money to spend on expensive lawyers. What hypocrisy.

Egor

Jan 30, 2008
Hurricane Utah
I was born in So Ca, I live in So Ca, I work for the city of Long Beach, but I will tell you this. I will not die here, I will get the heck out of here as fast as I can, I know too much. There is nothing left of this state. there are too many people that hate life and will take you out for just having fun. I feel your pain. My daughter got a street sweep ticket the other day and my wife called me to tell me how much it was for. 43.oo bucks. Now that is so they can sweep in front of the house, that doesn't need it. It is just another trumped up fee to keep the corrupt politicians fat. It is true that it is against the law to ride a pedal bike on the sidewalk, and he can enforce the law if he wants but it just proves he is a p****. I will dust my shoes off on this state soon, and never come back. How would you like to have Veragosa as your Mayor? I wonder what he meant when he was talking about his people. Think it included me! Have fun, Dave

jasonh

Jun 23, 2008
Longmont, CO
The state forcing me to ride on the street.......isn't that attempted murder? Making you pay money for fear of pain/punishment isn't that extortion? I'd drag 'em all to court if I had the money to spend on expensive lawyers. What hypocrisy.
Ugh.

No, it's not attempted murder. You're a vehicle, vehicles ride on the street.

No, it's not extortion. And they're not making you pay out of FEAR of punishment. The fee is your punishment. It's set up that way so as to discourage you from doing it again. I for one hate throwing money away.

The law is the law is the law. If you feel it's truly Unconstitutional, you can fight em all the way up. Otherwise - if you think it needs to be changed, start writing letters to all your legislative representatives: state, county, city, etc. Show up to City Council meetings. Heck, run for City Council. Just complaining about 'the man' on an internet forum does no good.

Like I said, check the law and make sure the ticket is valid (not like it matters since you already paid it - and paying a fine is ALWAYS an admission of guilt). If it's valid, admit you broke the law, you paid your fine, and get over it. Don't do it again, and if you're concerned about that law, do something about it. It's like complaining about getting a speeding ticket. Were you speeding? Yes? Then admit you were wrong and get over it.

The sidewalk is meant for pedestrians. Not bikes, and certainly not motored bikes. If you're concerned about traffic, have you considered changing your route to less busy streets? When you can only do 25-30mph, you'll be going just as fast in a 35 zone as you would in a 45 zone, except with less cars.

Sheesh.

Weedylot

Angry Old Fart
Jun 12, 2008
Tucson Arizona
Mister 2Tcycles has it right. What other product are we forced to buy and are not protected from the seller? None. Here's my rant: The insurance industry is the nearly invisible hand that controls every inch of our lives. They (insurance companies under some guise like a consumer agency) give money to both candidates in ALL state and federal elections. After years of this they own the vast majority of lawmakers. We are screwed. We cannot fight back because the "paid for" lawmakers have passed laws to protect the insurance industry with phrases like "Tort reform" and other lies.
A short two stories.
We were hit by an Allstate insured driver, he ran a stop sign in his Town Car and broadsided us in our 200SX. To keep it short we were lied to, cheated, ripped off and our lawyer plays golf or swaps wives with the adjusters. Our story is just so unbelievable, I won't waste the space here.
On another episode, my wife had to have major surgery to save her life. Everything was "covered" in writing by her HMO. They waited until she was home, weak, tired, in great pain, before they denied to pay ANYTHING on her claim. The BS they put us through was deliberately timed to kick us while we were down. The details are too long here, suffice to say that on 9-11-2001 I literally was praying to Allah that a plane fly into the Allstate building in Chicago. The CEOs and other minions of Allstate and our HMO better keep a sharp eye on their loved ones. I have their childrens names and addresses. The rage I have has not subsided.
PS Google "Insurer fraud", Allstate has successfully sued one site and forced them down.
PPS: In a very few case in the courts found the insurance co guilty of bad faith, fraud and RACKETEERING, stealing millions of dollars. In one case the court imposed the maximum penalty, $50,000 !!! Why so little? The state law was created/changed to limit fines imposed on insurance companies, Hmmm, wonder how that law came into being?
Exterminate the vermin!

Last edited:

jasonh

Jun 23, 2008
Longmont, CO
I'm sorry you've had such crappy experiences with insurance companies Weedylot, but....what does that have to do with Mr.2Tcycles being mad that he was fined for breaking the law?

Edit: nevermind, I found the rant.

Last edited:

xPosTech

The Old Master Motorized Bicycle Builder
Oct 23, 2008
SETexas
<snip>
We were hit by an Allstate insured driver, he ran a stop sign in his Town Car and broadsided us in our 200SX. To keep it short we were lied to, cheated, ripped off and our lawyer plays golf or swaps wives with the adjusters. Our story is just so unbelievable, I won't waste the space here.
<snip>
Emphasis mine.

You chose this lawyer? Or picked him on the advice of Allstate?

The insurers do this as part of a valid business plan. You are expected to have an attorney of your own choosing. Insurance companies count on the apathy of the injured party to roll over and play dead. :(

It's like disability benefits. You apply. SS denies. Automatically. You appeal. On the third appeal they approve.

You need a tough, smart lawyer. An Arm & Hammer. :)

Ted

Weedylot

Angry Old Fart
Jun 12, 2008
Tucson Arizona
Goldberg$Osbourne The injury lawyers.
They deal with the same wormy adjusters daily, they all know each other very well. First name basis and " hows the kids and new dog?" well. I sat right in front of the G & O lawyerette while she chatted up the Allscrew adjuster.
Shortly after we were hit, my wife while trying to contact Allstate online found an anti-allstate site. We got an eyeopening education regarding the insurance industry. Every dirty trick the site warned of was pulled by Gallstate. I used to think that this kind of criminal activity couldn't possibly happen in America. Years ago, when I heard others complaining about their insurance I would tune them out, writing them off as a nut. Now I'm one of those nuts.
The people that put up the site were run into the ground by ballstate's lawyers before they put their story out there. After years of fighting in courts they were broke, exhausted and disgusted. Then screwall sued them to remove the site. Maybe its been mirrored somewhere.
When justice is outlawed only outlaws will get justice.
I like the cute euphemism "adjuster". What is THEIR job?
Check out "red lining" as it applies to insurance. Check out the few times insurance companies have been CONVICTED of racketeering.

Last edited:

Mr.2Tcycles

Nov 13, 2008
Hawthorne CA
Goldberg$Osbourne The injury lawyers.
They deal with the same wormy adjusters daily, they all know each other very well. First name basis and " hows the kids and new dog?" well. I sat right in front of the G & O lawyerette while she chatted up the Allscrew adjuster.
Shortly after we were hit, my wife while trying to contact Allstate online found an anti-allstate site. We got an eyeopening education regarding the insurance industry. Every dirty trick the site warned of was pulled by Gallstate. I used to think that this kind of criminal activity couldn't possibly happen in America. Years ago, when I heard others complaining about their insurance I would tune them out, writing them off as a nut. Now I'm one of those nuts.
The people that put up the site were run into the ground by ballstate's lawyers before they put their story out there. After years of fighting in courts they were broke, exhausted and disgusted. Then screwall sued them to remove the site. Maybe its been mirrored somewhere.
When justice is outlawed only outlaws will get justice.
I like the cute euphemism "adjuster". What is THEIR job?
Check out "red lining" as it applies to insurance. Check out the few times insurance companies have been CONVICTED of racketeering.
That's right the law is bought and paid for by the rich and they interpret what the law really means. They will do everything that they can to suck more money out of the poor. How is this justice? How can people believe that the law is on the side of the righteous? THE GAME IS RIGGED IN THE COMPANY'S FAVOR. I feel for you Mr. Weedylot and I hope you and your wife recover from this heinous act, if not some measure of justice for what they did to you and yours.

Sep 20, 2008
Clearwater, FL
web.tampabay.rr.com
You are irritated because common sense no longer exisists...I'm right there with you...It irritates me too!!!!

So what do you do!!! Make a fuss!!!! And make it count! You will have to contend with the utterly stupid notion of politically correct....just be persistent...someone with a brain will listen...eventually!

Jim

Mr.2Tcycles

Nov 13, 2008
Hawthorne CA
You are irritated because common sense no longer exisists...I'm right there with you...It irritates me too!!!!

So what do you do!!! Make a fuss!!!! And make it count! You will have to contend with the utterly stupid notion of politically correct....just be persistent...someone with a brain will listen...eventually!

Jim
I could not have put it any better....Thank you.

donuts31

Nov 9, 2008
Colorado
To the kalifornians, if you do come to our state, please don't vote the same type of tax and spend politicians that ruined your state. Thank you.

TerrontheSnake

Jun 1, 2009
Oregon
I agree friend, but we can fight the man....Problem is the Man will bring it down upon even their citizens when the time comes....It will take a lot of courageous people to stand up, problem is the weak and stupid are the vast majority of people and their all vote happy. Now days it's like we actually vote for the guy that best manipulated and deceived us into believing false truths, and we are supposed to be OK with this? Corporate America Unfortunately would have to fall and be banished from any political structure for this to succeed. So many people have already lost so much they can't afford it . That it means they would lose their life savings, and all they have to last
the rest of their days and it is very intimidating for everyone at this point..............Sorry about the rant, it's past my bedtime and I just found out my girl has a bun in the oven.