Does anyone not use pedals?

GoldenMotor.com

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
If you're talking about removing the pedals you'll find that most states will then see your bike as a motorcycle and apply motorcycle laws to it. That could prove problematic. Also in the event of a engine/mechaincal failure you'll have to push your bike home. No fun.

Tom

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
What Tom said. In Texas without pedals, my bike would be considered a motorcycle, and need registration, licensing, insurance, the whole nine yards. With pedals, it's just considered a bicycle.

Wickedest1

Oct 31, 2012
connecticut
What Tom said. In Texas without pedals, my bike would be considered a motorcycle, and need registration, licensing, insurance, the whole nine yards. With pedals, it's just considered a bicycle.
as is the case here in connecticut...but there are vendors that sell "highway pegs" that mount to your bike and fold up when not in use...

maurtis

Dec 14, 2011
Kyle, TX
I agree with what has already been said, pedals are great to have as a backup instead of pushing the bike home, and to help keep it legal or at least under the radar.

I had a centrifugal clutch on my China girl and for kicks would sometimes take off from stops without pedaling, so it is possible (even with a 36t sprocket and a 200 lb pilot). But I would usually pedal anyway just to reduce wear and get up to speed faster.

The_Aleman

Jul 31, 2008
el People's Republik de Kalifornistan
If you don't want pedals, get a scooter or a motorcycle. IMO, if your motorized bicycle has no need for pedals, it's not a(n*) motorized bicycle** even if it mobs.

Pedal torque is key to a legally-realistic motorized bicycle. Example: my 2HP bike goes 0-20MPH in about 3.5 seconds, 30 in 5 or less. Why = Torque.

* pronunciation may vary lol
** Motor-assisted Bicycle

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
as is the case here in connecticut...but there are vendors that sell "highway pegs" that mount to your bike and fold up when not in use...
I humbly beg to differ Wickedist. Took me 2 years to find this out but it changed in 2008 here in CT.

"Important Information About Motorcycles, Motor Driven Cycles, Motor Scooters, Mopeds and Three-Wheeled Vehicles

On October 1, 2008, there were changes in the law that may affect whether you must register your scooter, moped or other motorbike as a motorcycle.

Motor Driven Cycles: If you have a motor scooter, moped or motorbike having a motor that produces 5 brake horsepower or less (or 3.7 kW or less) and a seat height of at least 26 inches, you may operate it on the roadway without registering it. However, you must have a valid motor vehicle operator’s license to operate it, and you may not operate it on any sidewalk, limited access highway or turnpike. If the maximum speed of your cycle is less than the speed limit of the road that you are on, you must operate in the right hand lane available for traffic or upon a usable shoulder on the right side of the road unless you are making a left turn. As of October 1, 2008, these vehicles are referred to as “motor driven cycles.”

http://www.ct.gov/dmv/cwp/view.asp?a=810&q=430480

lax

Sep 20, 2012
bradenton, florida
I have 2 bikes I built that I don't have pedals..have a third with pedals never been a problem with authorities
I prefer pedals for the faster acell.....I definitely recommend that you get ur bike pretty reliable before you remove tho or there will be a lot of walking lol