Hello All! :-)

GoldenMotor.com

TylorB

Jul 17, 2012
Rock Springs, Wy.
Hello all,

My name is Tylor. I've been wanting to build a motorized bicycle/moped for a long time now, and have finally purchased a motor kit from www.gasbike.net I got the GRUBEE 2011 SkyHawk GT5 66cc/80cc Angle Fire Slant Head Bike Motor Kit. I'm still looking for a bicycle and would like to go with a mountain bike so I can get a shift kit eventually and take it on trails and off road. My only reservation is that the shift kit costs more than the engine kit. If anyone has any ideas where to get a good used bicycle or any input on the shift kits please let me know. Thanks everyone :-D usflg

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast
Welcome aboard!

I use bikes from yardsales and thrift stores, but wallyworld is abt the cheapest place to get a bike. Front and rear brakes will be important when you powerize it! So don't be fooled by all the kool looking bikes with coaster brakes! lol
Not really a lot of power from an HT to do much off-roading, but I guess some people do...
Good luck
rc

TylorB

Jul 17, 2012
Rock Springs, Wy.
Thanks rustycase, I was thinking Walmart for the whole cheap factor. and also rummage sales, but the thrift stores and pawn shops here don't have many bicycles for sale. A friend of mine and I are going to the dump later on today and see if we cant turn some trash into treasure :). He goes all of the time and says he sees bikes every where there. so I'll keep you posted, and post some pics when I get one.

TylorB

Jul 17, 2012
Rock Springs, Wy.
Hello again,

I decided to go with a beach cruiser. I got everything finished last night, and while I was taking it for a test run the chain tension thingamabob slipped down and mangled my hub brake :-|| lol. so I'm off to walmart later on to get a new one and then it will be the open road lol. I'll post some pics when I get it put back together

TylorB

Jul 17, 2012
Rock Springs, Wy.
I finished up a couple of days ago, and have been tinkering with it to work out all of the bugs. By far the biggest hurdle was aligning the rear sprocket and the chain tension. The sprocket was fairly straight forward it just takes patience. The chain tension was the biggest problem. The chain tension retaining thingamabob kept on slipping and derailing the chain. I broke one chain and had to replace it, but after I got a new one I wrenched the retainer down as much as humanly possible. So far it has been alright but I am still keeping an eye on it. As promised here are some pics, sorry for the poor quality I took them with my phone.