is this oil ok?

GoldenMotor.com

Al.Fisherman

Sep 9, 2009
Calera, Alabama
You can use it, many people do, but since oil is cheap, I use a better grade. I use Amsoil, probably not the best, but better then WallyWorld oil. It cost me close to $1.00 a gallon (fuel mix) @32:1 My fuel cost is close to $2.10 a tank.

Last edited:

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia
Ron is right, using a better oil wil prolong the engine life. There are many good oils that are synthetic or semi-synthetic that are a better choice than store brand universal oil.

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
I use it, but I have a stock, 50cc China girl. I would use something better in a hopped up China girl or Morini.

Al.Fisherman

Sep 9, 2009
Calera, Alabama
Specialty Oil Company, last I've heard (around 2006).

Specialty Oil Company
Houston Texas

Now the kicker is they also make these brands....Shell, Pennzoil/Quaker State..QS is the LAST oil I will ever use.

Last edited:

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia
The oil you use to me depends on how you ride your bike and how good you have it tuned, if you are going to ride around at wot all the time then to me the synthetic oils make more sense. The mixture ratio you like and if you want smoke less or low smoke oil helps determine your oil also. I tried 3 or 4 till I found what worked best for my bike, not recomending it but I run the lucas synthetic smokeless oil. As has been said it is up to what you want or need for your engine.

Skyliner70

May 25, 2011
Colorado
Its a good oil. I've started using it and fortified it with 1 ounce of 100% pure degummed oil to 3 parts of SuperTech oil in my rides and 2 stroke power accessories. I also run SuperTech TCWIII in my snowmobiles and add 2 oz of castor oil per gallon premix into the fule tank...sleds are 14 years old and run like new considering they are turning 8000rpm all day long.

wayne z

Dec 5, 2010
louisiana
I know of quite a few guys in the ultralight community that exceeded 1200 hours running time on Rotax 582cc watercooled and 503 aircooled engines with this oil. Recomended overhaul on these engines is at 300 hours.

I was always partial to Pennzoil aircooled in mine though. Never was a fan of synthetic oil because it is inferior to synthetic as far as corrosion protection, on engines that aren't used regularly.
Down here in La. In the winter when we have dramatic temperature changes from day to day, that cause everthing metal to sweat and drip water, you can get rusty crank journal from a month of sitting unused.

Drewd

Jul 25, 2008
Colorado
Wayne did you say synthetic oil is inferior to Dino oil? You are going to make the opti 2 guys mad!
I'll say it, synthetic and dino are inferior to plant based, e.g. Castor oil in every regard except one (burn cleanliness). No other oil offers as good high temperature high pressure lubrication as castor. The great thing is you can take a crappy oil and mix it 25-50% with castor and have a decent all around oil that will greatly extent your engine's life, particularly in hot high power applications. Both my current high time HT engines are clean inside and the only problem I'v had was some narrowing of the exhaust outlet flange, but that took about 4 years to occur and is easily cured with some elbow grease.

The thing with optilube and 100:1 oils is that they are 2 stroke oils that aren't thinned down with solvents so in essence, at 100:1, you are probably actually running same amount of oil that traditional high solvent oils have at higher ratios, i.e. 50:1 The less the solvent, the higher the flash point and the cleaner the burn assuming all other variables remain the same.

FYI: less or little solvent is why Opti2's flash point is 450 deg F which is about equal to the flash point of 100% pure degummed castor oil.

By comparison: Maxima 927 (only 20% castor oil) flashes at 420 deg F. The flash point is the lowest temperature at which a liquid vaporizes into a combustible mixture. The higher the flash point, the longer it is a liquid lubricating your engine.

BTW, Amsoil interceptor flashes at 176 deg F and Amsoil saber at 214 deg F

By flashpoint alone, Opt2 appears to be a very good oil.

Last edited:

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast
if sam walton's store sells it, it's probably good in a 2 stroke engine.

His legal department would not accept anything that did not meet it's claims.
and my guess is he's got a REAL big legal department.

rc

Drewd

Jul 25, 2008
Colorado
if sam walton's store sells it, it's probably good in a 2 stroke engine.

His legal department would not accept anything that did not meet it's claims.
and my guess is he's got a REAL big legal department.

rc
It probably meets minimum specs. While I haven't done any deeper research on their 2 stroke oils (a virgin oil analysis), I do know that SuperTech 4 stroke oils are just ok and not to be used for more than 3,000 miles due to additive levels. The ST 4 stroke synthetic oils seem to provide decent protection for 7000 miles with good wear analysis.

Last edited:

david jeffries

May 11, 2012
pennsylvania
I I have been using supertech for awhile now. no problems yet, but still keeping fingers crossed, lol. rustycase, you do realize sam walton is dead, right? just asking.

Toadmund

Jan 19, 2012
Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada
So you weren't at Wal-Mart today?

OK, serious hat on now.
Personally, when my break in period is done, I will switch from the motomaster Canadian Tire brand, to a synthetic 2 stroke oil.
But really I see no real problem using a cheap store brand.
It's just that it's the same as my reason for using real butter on my toast, it lasts a long time, may as well get the real thing, even though it's more expensive.

Or in this case, i'll get the fake stuff, synthetic oil.