2 bike stolen in san diego

GoldenMotor.com

culvercityclassic

Sep 27, 2009
Culver City, Ca
I had one of my bikes stolen from outside of a local bar, found out who did it and decided to just let it ride and not take care of business. I had more to loose then he did if I beat his ass. I did not like the guy from high-school so we had some history and it could have got ugly.

I am sure he was able to keep on tweaking for a while with the sale of it...lol

Just purchase a really good u-lock and hope it does not happen again.

fastfingas

Dec 25, 2011
New Orleans
I was thinking about this to put on my motorcycle at night,,,like using a baby monitor the kind you put in the room and you can hear everything that goes on in there !!!! like taping it to the frame or forks and still have it chained up so they gotta make noise,,,,, might help some what , sometimes ,,,maybe????? watcha think?????????

CTripps

Aug 22, 2011
Vancouver, B.C.
Multiple high quality locks are the best way to go, along with keeping it inside if you can, or out of sight if you can't.

My bikes are locked up in the garage in a combination of chains and locks to and through each other and disappearing into the pile of stuff. Secured to the pallets those piles are on, really. There's a pin in the track on each side of the overhead door, that have to be removed from the inside before it will open. For around two hundred bucks I picked up a security cam set up from Costco a couple of years ago after the house got broken into. I added the two other cams the kit was able to handle a little later. There is a camera on the system that watches my car and the garage's side door (thanks Landlord for the motion activated lights) and one inside the garage that can see the overhead and side doors, down to the workbench/tool area, and the bikes. I'm going to put a motion sensor light in there too. Both record video if their own motion sensors are tripped, and the 'night' vision they have is good enough to see bats on summer nights. I have the monitor unit on our 'house server' computer, and can switch cams with a click. Handy when someone hits the doorbell. When I'm out I have a U-Lock and a series of cable locks that I work with, and I have a cover that I can use if it's raining.

I had a cool bike lock years ago, I wish I still had it. It was a ring that secured on the other side of the bit the rear brake caliper is usually mounted to with assorted hardware. Awkward, as it had to have the key in it to be open, but it locked the back wheel to the frame very well, and had the added bonus of being visually subtle. Someone could go after every chain and cable to free the bike but it still had to be carried.

All thoughts of rigging and trapping are purely for the exercise, I wouldn't actually set up anything that I'd be likely to get myself caught up in, as I can be rather absent-minded sometimes to put it mildly.

Attachments

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
I had a cool bike lock years ago, I wish I still had it. It was a ring that secured on the other side of the bit the rear brake caliper is usually mounted to with assorted hardware. Awkward, as it had to have the key in it to be open, but it locked the back wheel to the frame very well, and had the added bonus of being visually subtle. Someone could go after every chain and cable to free the bike but it still had to be carried.
Like this?
Rakuten: Ring lock GR-920 for GORIN ??? MTB cars- Shopping Japanese products from Japan

CTripps

Aug 22, 2011
Vancouver, B.C.

DaveC

Jul 14, 2010
Boise, ID
I had one of my bikes stolen from outside of a local bar, found out who did it and decided to just let it ride and not take care of business. I had more to loose then he did if I beat his ass. I did not like the guy from high-school so we had some history and it could have got ugly.

I am sure he was able to keep on tweaking for a while with the sale of it...lol

Just purchase a really good u-lock and hope it does not happen again.
You know who the guy is and you haven't called the police? That's what you do when something is stolen from you. You don't beat the guy up and you don't ignore it. Dude ride's it in front of you and you do nothing?

I really hate to put this this way: you need to grow a pair and call the cops. That's what they're for. The cops, that is. Every time he rides your bike he's spitting in your face, something I simpley couldn't handle. .mbv.

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
You know who the guy is and you haven't called the police? That's what you do when something is stolen from you. You don't beat the guy up and you don't ignore it. Dude ride's it in front of you and you do nothing?

I really hate to put this this way: you need to grow a pair and call the cops. That's what they're for. The cops, that is. Every time he rides your bike he's spitting in your face, something I simpley couldn't handle. .mbv.
I think you need to take him at his word that he felt he had more to lose than the guy who stole the bike and leave it at that. To say he lacks ball bearings is something you really are not in a position to make judgement on. You don't know the whole situation any more than I do. As a young man there are a lot of things I would have done that I later would have thought through more clearly. Sometimes "getting even" can backfire and give more grief than satisfaction. "Discretion is the better part of valor".
SB

foundmydog

Oct 17, 2011
South Carolina, USA

On CCC's behalf....

He said he had a history with the guy, and even reporting it to the police... lets be serious here, the guy who stole it would get a slap on the wrist and pay a fine with no jail time!

I've been in similar situations where things are not best to report and just let them go.

How can you criticize him when you read a one paragraph sentence and do not know the entire story???

Have some respect my man..

DaveC

Jul 14, 2010
Boise, ID
Oh, yeah, I guess it's better to live in fear than to stand up for one's self.

This is what I'm saying; IT WOULD NOT HAPPEN TO ME!!! Understand that? I've been ripped off enough here lately and do not stand for it anymore. "Descression is the better part of valor?" What is valorious about not doing something about a thief? My son ripped me for $130 out of my wallet, he was out within 2 minuets of my finding out.

Both of you, don't tell me YOU'D do NOTHING seeing someone riding YOUR STOLEN BIKE in front of you. I don't believe it, not for a second. No where in what CCC said indicates to me that he contacted the police. It just says he is doing nothing.

Oh, you want to know what my son said to my Ex? He told her he didn't think I'd do anything.... steals $130 and he expects me to do nothing? Is this the way people are these days? No respect for themselves or others.

Last edited:

culvercityclassic

Sep 27, 2009
Culver City, Ca
On CCC's behalf....

He said he had a history with the guy, and even reporting it to the police... lets be serious here, the guy who stole it would get a slap on the wrist and pay a fine with no jail time!

I've been in similar situations where things are not best to report and just let them go.

How can you criticize him when you read a one paragraph sentence and do not know the entire story???

Have some respect my man..
DaveC read the quote above and what SB posted. You don’t know the complete story or my past history. You might want to think about what you wrote and assumed.

Did you catch the word tweeker in what I wrote? Karma got his ass...and got his whole set of teeth... so i did not have to knock em out...all kidding aside it turned out good. Should I say Wayside...lol

Things got handled

You were out of line...

DaveC

Jul 14, 2010
Boise, ID
...out of line for telling someone to call the police instead of trusting to karma? W/E.

Fine. Let people steal from you and spit in your face, metaphorically. If your not going to do anything you deserve it.

I'm done here.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
All right, let's cool it.
There is a prime rule here that will be inforced and that is showing every other member respect. You want to argue and name call? Go someplace else. We don't need nor will we tolerate it here. Discuss all you want, disagree, if you can do it without disrespect to others. I can/will shut down or delete this thread if it continues as a flame war.

Tom

fastfingas

Dec 25, 2011
New Orleans
Well now that things have settled down some I'll tell ya I can understand both points of view but I'm more of an animal and I'd probobly wait till he passes by on the and I'd bust him over the head with somtin!!!!.......but he can keep the bike of course!!!!!!!

hawaii_87

San Diego's Master Ride Organizer
May 17, 2011
San Diego
Damnit again!!!! I'm done!!!! I'm moving!!!! 4 bikes stolen in 90 days!!!!! $1700 i'm out of!!! I find these guys i guarantee you someone is going to to get a bullet to their head!!!

charliechaindrive.

Nov 20, 2011
staples mn
Oh, no this is not even tollerable, I say just make a decoy out of old 10 speed and cardboard and buy a 300 winchester and blow their knees off when they.come to see if its real